Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great! Glad you guys are enjoying it.

I've been packing bags and enjoying it too :P

Gotta get some shut-eye now,

but it'll run all night, so if you're up, you can listen.

(I can hear the Select lists being compiled... :D )

g'nite

Rod

This is great! :tup . Unfortunately I can't always pinpoint which Select a particular tune is from. The good news is it keeps my purchase list somewhat smaller :lol:
Thanks. Yeah, for the longest time I'd thought that you could see the album name too

until I tuned in on a computer at a local Apple store and noticed that just the artist and song titles were shown.

Anyway, I figure that when a song is really great and it just jumps out at you,

it's then that I find a way to match the artist/song with the CD.

enjoy!

Greatly enjoyed discs 1-5 (run out of time afterwards, alas) of the Jazztet. Not much of it was new to me (3 Jazztet albums plus one of the Golson's, too, but I didn't come that far yet), but this music is sooooo nice, and it's great to have it all in one place. Somewhat reminds of the JJJ set, in its penchant for variety and nice arrangements. And still, the looser three of the albums (Birdhouse and the great two Mercury albums) have as much space for blowing as any Messengers date... and Golson is fully in charge, with Farmer providing a very nice alternative, cooler, softer, but no less compelling. The rhythm sections are fine as well, for me McCurdy and Williams being the outstanding musicians. Not to speak of the 'bonists and pianist... a terrific set, even more so for someone who just has one or two things from it.

Oh, and the *one* highlight? Definitely the terrific "Jazztet meets John Lewis" album - I've had that on one of those b/w reissue LPs and loved it from the very first spin. Awesome album!

c6434132-f317-4351-99fe-631a19a6e535.jpg

Anyone got a big scan of the colour cover?

The Complete Columbia J.J. Johnson Small Group Sessions. Disk seven. I really dig some of the song titles on this disk: Turnpike, Mohawk, Flat Rock, Bloozineff, and my favorite -- Full Moon and Empty Arms :lol: .

On the edit: JJ's solo on the Bloozineff master take -- wow :party::party:

Edited by Matthew