Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

Brute, I know we already exchanged PMs on another topic, but I'll add a public welcome as well... the Quincy and Hamp sets arrived this afternoon, and I'm currently digging BIRTH OF A BAND (how did I ever make it this far without hearing this album) and queing up the first disc from the Hamp set as we speak. Feels like Christmas has come three weeks early...

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Columbia Small Groups, CD6. After playing this set through with re-runs of every disk (a sure sign that a particular Mosaic set is a really good one) this set is turning out to be one of my favourites of the past few years. Columbia alwayd did get a great recorded sound in that 30th St studio and this set is a great mix of the various players who came under the mainstream umbrella - from Ernie Caceres and Pee-Wee Russell at the more traditional end through to Kenny Burrell and Dave Bailey at the boppier end. All great music !

I find the two Ruby Braff CDs to be one of the best suprises in this set.

Just finished disc 3 of the Hampton - wow! That Chu Berry!!!!!!

I see there must be a good bit of duplication between this set and Chu's.

MG

Got my set at 10.30 am today !!! Managed to listen repeatedly to disc one only. I know a bit of this material already from Lps but here it sounds great. Not too much cross-over with the Chu set ...really.... didn't put me off...

How much overlap is there with the Chu set?

check the discography on the Mosaic site for details, ( they're blocked at my work), 3 sessions IIRC. one session is duplicated in its entirety the other 2 are only partly documented on the Chu set. Incidentally my Hampton set is number 42 yet I received it the same day as MG (300). Hope Mosaic are happy with their level of sales on this one.

Just finished disc 3 of the Hampton - wow! That Chu Berry!!!!!!

I see there must be a good bit of duplication between this set and Chu's.

MG

Got my set at 10.30 am today !!! Managed to listen repeatedly to disc one only. I know a bit of this material already from Lps but here it sounds great. Not too much cross-over with the Chu set ...really.... didn't put me off...

How much overlap is there with the Chu set?

check the discography on the Mosaic site for details, ( they're blocked at my work), 3 sessions IIRC. one session is duplicated in its entirety the other 2 are only partly documented on the Chu set. Incidentally my Hampton set is number 42 yet I received it the same day as MG (300). Hope Mosaic are happy with their level of sales on this one.

Thanks! And my set is number 41 ....

Columbia Small Groups, CD6. After playing this set through with re-runs of every disk (a sure sign that a particular Mosaic set is a really good one) this set is turning out to be one of my favourites of the past few years. Columbia alwayd did get a great recorded sound in that 30th St studio and this set is a great mix of the various players who came under the mainstream umbrella - from Ernie Caceres and Pee-Wee Russell at the more traditional end through to Kenny Burrell and Dave Bailey at the boppier end. All great music !

I find the two Ruby Braff CDs to be one of the best suprises in this set.

Yes! This Mosaic is one of my favs. The Ruby Braff/Pee Wee Russell session in particular is a killer. I had already owned the Columbia release of "Ben & Sweets" but it sounds much better on the Mosaic set. Gotta love the Buck Clayton stuff, too!

Edited by Brute

It's okay stuff, but nothing that gets me really going. Ah well, different strokes for different folks.

I've got a few McNeely albums around. . . ;)

More into smaller ensemble stuff of late. That's why the Matthews isn't clicking. It will one day. The sort of general "vibe" to the arrangements is getting in my way.

Edited by jazzbo