Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Max Roach Plus 4, Discs 2 and 3

I'm interested in learning more about pianist Billy Wallace. Anybody? He does some nice comping and sort of Cedar Walton type percussion stacatto runs on the keyboard featured at the end of Disc 1 and beginning of Disc 2 in this set. I know he's on the Brown/Roach at the Beehive, which I love for its explosive jamming, but most of what I've found audible on my LP of that set is the drums and trumpet. According to the Penguin Guide, he also plays on "Fantastic Frank Strozier" (Vee Jay), but I don't have that one.

I'm interested in learning more about pianist Billy Wallace. Anybody? He does some nice comping and sort of Cedar Walton type percussion stacatto runs on the keyboard featured at the end of Disc 1 and beginning of Disc 2 in this set. I know he's on the Brown/Roach at the Beehive, which I love for its explosive jamming, but most of what I've found audible on my LP of that set is the drums and trumpet. According to the Penguin Guide, he also plays on "Fantastic Frank Strozier" (Vee Jay), but I don't have that one.

^^Anybody?

NP Disc 4--gotta love the tuba!

^^Anybody?

If you use the search function & use keywords +billy +wallace, you'll find a fair amount of information/comments on Mr. Wallace.

^^Anybody?

If you use the search function & use keywords +billy +wallace, you'll find a fair amount of information/comments on Mr. Wallace.

Thanks! I tried that before but it kept failing. This satisfies me: Billy Wallace

NP: Hank Mobley Fifties Sessions Disc 1--classic

The Buck Clayton box - from LP1 side a on... just about wrapping up "Christopher Columbus" - holy smokes, this stuff swings like mad! (<< Jo Jones!!!)

Beautiful solos by Lem Davis, Julian Dash (that fellow is good!), the trumpet players (Joe Newman, next to Buck), and lots of smokin' trombone, courtesy of Bennie Green, Henderson Chambers, and Urbie Green... then there's Sir Charles Thompson, and then quite a surprise each time I pop in some of these LPs, Charlie Fowlkes' baritone - beautiful sound, and quite lovely solos, provided he was just a section player during all the years he spent with the Count!

That Hodes set (I have the cd set) is fantastic!

Yep - a winner from the first note. I don't have any of this material so it is a bit of a revelation. 'Hot Jazz On Blue Note' for sure. Sound is pretty good too !

I've been reading Selections from the Gutter: Portraits from the Jazz Record, edited by Art Hodes and Chadwick Hansen. This makes an excellent accompaniment to the Hodes Mosaic. His stories of early Chicago scene are priceless, and his straightforward prose makes it all the more vivid.

Great book Zanones, isn't it? I have this too, and the only book I have like it is Eddie Condon's "Scrapbook."

It is! My favorite line in the section "Making a Record":

Say, has anyone ever told you what it feels like, making a record? Sometimes I wonder how anyone can make a good record. In the first place, records are almost always made at the worst possible hour for the musician. For example, 'Liberty Inn Drag' was recorded at a 9 a.m. session. I don't have to tell any of you who have seen us in action what a musician feels like that early in the middle of the night.
[my emphasis]

Great coverage of little known heroes of boogie woogie like Cow Cow Davenport and Montana Taylor. It is kind of like a predecessor to Art Taylor's Notes and Tones because of the raw musician's perspective, but without the overly-structured interviews and obviously subjective agenda.

I should check out the Condon book.

-Jay

Edited by zanonesdelpueblo

That Hodes set (I have the cd set) is fantastic!

Yep - a winner from the first note. I don't have any of this material so it is a bit of a revelation. 'Hot Jazz On Blue Note' for sure. Sound is pretty good too !

I've been reading Selections from the Gutter: Portraits from the Jazz Record, edited by Art Hodes and Chadwick Hansen. This makes an excellent accompaniment to the Hodes Mosaic. His stories of early Chicago scene are priceless, and his straightforward prose makes it all the more vivid.

Thanks ! I'll look out for it.