Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bixieland

Buddy Rich Disc 1.. :)

It seems like I'm the only one on the board who bought this and routinely plays it.... :o :o :o

and onto Disc 2.....

I was so close to getting this set -- then the Armstrong set came out! Currently, it's fighting for the on-deck circle with the Goodman and the Stitt and possibly the Oscar Peterson. It all depends on when the funds arrive and what mood I'm in, and lately -- what's in stock!

Rich was a freak of nature, a prodigy...I very, very much want this set!!!

there's also an excellent consistency to this set... With 80% of my Mosaics (esp. sets with 6 or more discs) I tend to feel like they could've left some stuff in the can... But this whole package is outstanding...!

The Complete Blue Note Elvin Jones Sessions, DISC IV

e75229jqb34.jpg

Tranemonk....I hear ya. This one is freekin' awesome. 8 extremely solid CDs. :)

The One and Only Miss Anita O'Day - Disc 9... :excited::excited:

I don't care if I'm alone on this one.. but still reminds of what Glenn Close might sound like as a jazz singer... :wub::wub:

now Disc 5

You are clearly not alone on this one. I have read a lot of positive posts on this set from other board members on the O'Day set. And if you feel a bit isolated, how should I feel now...listening to the Mildred Bailey set? :crazy: CD2. Very enjoyable stuff.

Edited by ASNL77

Played almost the entire Columbia Small Group set over the past few days. Some pretty nice, some nice and some pretty drab stuff... beats me why they included that tired Hawkins/Terry date but then omitted the Burrell sessions with Leo Wright (maybe they thought Wrights intonation was even worse than Hawkins' tiredness? Not even Terry sounds good on that date!)

I think the best of it may be the Ruby Braff session, some great playing there, for sure!

This won't be a favourite box here, but it's nowhere as bad as regretting to have it (don't write PMs, I'll not sell...)

Played almost the entire Columbia Small Group set over the past few days. Some pretty nice, some nice and some pretty drab stuff... beats me why they included that tired Hawkins/Terry date but then omitted the Burrell sessions with Leo Wright (maybe they thought Wrights intonation was even worse than Hawkins' tiredness? Not even Terry sounds good on that date!)

I think the best of it may be the Ruby Braff session, some great playing there, for sure!

This won't be a favourite box here, but it's nowhere as bad as regretting to have it (don't write PMs, I'll not sell...)

It's been a while since I've listened to that set, but I recall really digging the Herb Ellis sessions.

Guest Bixieland

The Columbia set is nice. Glad I got it. I would describe it as chock full of variety -- and all the sessions are upbeat with so much great talent sprinkled throughout. I forget which sessions I like/dislike...most were good. I only remember a few tracks not doing much for me (Lou Donaldson, perhaps? - though I'll probably like them next time! I'm like that.) :blush2: :crazy::angry:

Overall -- good set, with superb sound quality. I can't think of very many black boxes that don't have a few so-so tracks. That said, I can understand why it's "Last Chance." They're probably letting the lease expire, rather than print another run. There's more "important" and/or better selling sets that need to back in print!

The One and Only Miss Anita O'Day - Disc 9... :excited::excited:

I don't care if I'm alone on this one.. but still reminds of what Glenn Close might sound like as a jazz singer... :wub::wub:

now Disc 5

You are clearly not alone on this one. I have read a lot of positive posts on this set from other board members on the O'Day set. And if you feel a bit isolated, how should I feel now...listening to the Mildred Bailey set? :crazy: CD2. Very enjoyable stuff.

Hey, I love the Mildred Bailey set! (Though I think I love the O'Day set even more.) :wub:

Beyond lies the :wub: