Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

c6434132-f317-4351-99fe-631a19a6e535.jpg

The Jazztet and John Lewis from the Jazztet box. I'm loving these arrangements - just wonderful. And there's a personal, nostalgic aspect to this box for me. 38 years ago my late mom got me my first jazz album - Ya! Ya! by Budd Johnson on Argo. I think she picked it up for me because it was a cheap cutout and had a picture of Johnson with his horn on the cover, and I had just taken up the saxophone. The inner sleeve had small reproductions of dozens of Argo albums on it, and it just fascinated me. That's where I learned lots of jazz names - I would pore over the sleeve and wonder who John Lewis, J. C. Heard, Zoot Sims, and Red Rodney were. Almost all the Argo albums included in this Mosaic box were pictured on the sleeve. I've been waiting all these years to hear some of these albums.

I still have the Budd Johnson album. It gets played regularly, and I still enjoy looking at the inner sleeve.

The Complete Verve Johnny Hodges Small Group Sessions 1956-61. :wub:

Sure wish Mosaic would do a 60s follow-up to that one with all the Verve sessions (and maybe the RCA ones with Davis thrown in). Lots of great music there on the Verves which has never been reissued on cd.

greg mo

I'd love, and pay, to hear all of that.