Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Buck Clayton Columbia Jam Session set.

It has the original Basie rhythm section, 'nuff said.

I got my set about a day after it went OOP, and disk 3 or 4 was missing. A mate did a CDr of the missing disk, though it didn't have any of the best sessions on it anyhow, and I never play it. (Don't tell Interpol, lol, though how on earth could I hear it without a CDr?? Achtung! Die Gestapo kommen!)

What's the tone of the notes on the Taylor set?

Buell Neidlinger's notes don't pull any punches. He says what he thinks and doesn't seem interested in niceties.

An example:

"I'm not sure that he (Cecil Taylor) deserves the status he has today because he never did make a big band or any size group that he held together beyond the quartet. He never wrote one jazz standard; others don't record his tumes. I suppose some people have attempted to play just like him so he's been an influence for sure. But let's put it this way: He has not come to the fruition that I thought he would in 1960 or when I first met him in '55. He is a forerunner and an inventor and a discoverer. In the sense of jazz piano, he is as much a collating force as Bach was to classical music in 1680 or 1690 or whenever. They both made musics that hadn't existed before ..."

Then later:

"After Cecil, except for some journeyman gigs with Jimmy Giuffre and a lot of singers, I played mainly classical music. It's like Lawrence Brown once told me, after playing with Ellington, where do you go? It was like that for me with Cecil."

Even if you don't agree with what he says, he makes you think. And that's important.

I hope I haven't broken any rules/laws with the quotes above. If I have, please have a moderator delete this post.

Just arrived today Mosaic Benedetti Bird box, first impressions are that the sound quality is way better than I expected but the fragmented solos are rather more irritating than I imagine and a there's very large booklet. Glad I got this at last, as it's an amazing piece of history and great music too.

Just arrived today Mosaic Benedetti Bird box, first impressions are that the sound quality is way better than I expected but the fragmented solos are rather more irritating than I imagine and a there's very large booklet. Glad I got this at last, as it's an amazing piece of history and great music too.

The Dead Sea Scrolls of Modern Jazz. I have it on vinyl and don't spin it anywhere near enough. That booklet is downright brilliant, I must admit.

Currently spinning Don Pullen Mosaic Select, CD1.

Edited by sidewinder