Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woody Herman Philips Recordings (Mosaic, MS-031)

MS031.jpg

I just rec'd this one last week and this is probably my favorite edition of the Herman Herds. Nistico, Hanna, Nat Pierce and some great arranging/writing. A gem!

Marla

Totally agree. I already had about half of this material; I'm happy to have everything in one very nice package. Mosaic comes through again!

I only had the "Woody Herman-1963" reissue, so this was a natural for me. My Select just arrived today and I'm diggin' it!

Watching this and some of the other Nistico w. Herman clips that have been posted recently, what strikes me (beyond the music) is that even though Sal Nistico was in his early 20's when these were taped, he doesn't seem to show much pleasure in what he plays. It looks as if burnout was setting in at that early an age.

Wow... I guess I'm right... Everyone seems pretty lukewarm about this one...

Why???? :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Finishing up Dizzy Disc 7 ..

Is it my imagination or has there been very little discussion of this set????? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

In any case... I've thoroughly enjoyed this set... except for the 2nd half of Disc 6.... The vocalese album did not sit very well with me.....

No lukewarm from me. This set gets a definite :tup

Wow... I guess I'm right... Everyone seems pretty lukewarm about this one...

Why???? :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Finishing up Dizzy Disc 7 ..

Is it my imagination or has there been very little discussion of this set????? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

In any case... I've thoroughly enjoyed this set... except for the 2nd half of Disc 6.... The vocalese album did not sit very well with me.....

Just opened up Disc 4 of the Buddy DeFranco box.

I've had this set since 1990. Opened up Discs 2 and 3 in '92 and '02. I was talking with sjarrel about it the other day, and our conversation reminded me I still had one to go, so today is the day I checked it out and finished the box.

Years ago Cuscuna said in one of his catalogues that the DeFranco and the Shorty Rogers were his two worst-selling boxes. I bought both and enjoy them both. Maybe it's time to check out the next Rogers I haven't heard yet too!