Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

Charlie Parker/Dean Benedetti Box - disc 5

Listening to this tonight was like being in an insane world where the only things that made sense were Bird's solos. Interesting place to be.

Good description. That set is fascinating !

Today - Miles Columbia 63-64 set, LPs 2 to 4.

Sam Rivers Blue Note LP set, LPs 1 and 2

Then possibly some of the Kenton/Holman/Russo LP set and/or the Phil Woods set.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Randy Weston Select - the Little Niles session

If anyone wants to hear a connection between Johnny Griffin's playing and Von Freeman's, listen to Johnny Griffin's solo on "Nice Ice".

:D

I keep meaning to get that Weston Select.

MG

Oh, you absolutely should! Even more so knowing your taste in African music! Disc three from that point of view is most fascinating!

But then on disc one you get Johnny Griffin and Ray Copeland as well as KD, Hawkins and Roy Hayes, too...

I played the whole Kenton Presents box yesterday - pretty nice! The Holman material is great, the Rosolino as fun as you'd expect his music to be, the Cooper... well, Sy Johnson's liner notes are a treat, and I guess he's right about some of the Cooper stuff being not that great... anyway, once again Giuffre stood out as a solo voice wherever he appears! And Charlie Mariano is fine on the Rosolino sides, too!

This made me think of sort of a companion Mosaic: wouldn't it be great if those Bethlehem "Plays" albums would be compiled? There are sessions by Stu Williamson, Charlie Mariano and Max Bennett, Rosolino is several of them (so is Claude Williamson, who's Kenton Presents could be added as a bonus), while the three leaders turn up as sidemen on the others' dates. It would likely be a four or five disc collection. However, I have no idea who owns the rights to the Bethlehem masters... but opening these up for Mosaic would bring some wonderful opportunities (mostly for Selects, I guess... Conte Candoli, Stan Levey, those East Coast series, the wonderful early Chris Connor material, some fine tenor albums by Zoot, Dexter, Booger... the Howard McGhee "comeback" albums... plenty of fine things there!)

Well. . . in Japan they manufacture and distribute, yes, but not necessarily in the US, at least not in the past, even the recent past.

I think Mosaic may be a bit reluctant to "go there" as there have been numerous cd issues worldwide, and Fresh Sounds seems ready to continue to pump out releases . . . . Mosaic may feel the market for their versions has been diluted. Or maybe not!

Johnny Hodges - 1956-61 - CD1

CD2 - great!

CD3 now - still enjoying it very, very much!

one small complaint: the session by session notes are lousy, staying very much on the surface. And calling John Sanders "and another trombone" is a bit respectless, I found.

The Clarke Boland Big Band and Small Group Mosaic. . . .

No wait a minute, it's just a bunch of new Rearward/Schemata cds.

gee, I'd love it!

There could be a whole series of boxes... studio and live, big band and small bands, and some bonus DVDs on top of that!

There were some 2CD releases (three I think?), one of which I could have a look at when at brownie's last fall, but other than that it's just the stray disc - great to hear that Rearward is going to release more (though it's a drag that there's so much overlap with their own earlier compilations).