Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

The Clarke Boland Big Band and Small Group Mosaic. . . .

No wait a minute, it's just a bunch of new Rearward/Schemata cds.

gee, I'd love it!

There could be a whole series of boxes... studio and live, big band and small bands, and some bonus DVDs on top of that!

There were some 2CD releases (three I think?), one of which I could have a look at when at brownie's last fall, but other than that it's just the stray disc - great to hear that Rearward is going to release more (though it's a drag that there's so much overlap with their own earlier compilations).

Here's my prediction: it ain't going to happen, ever.

What I'd like to see: Mosaic seek out and assemble a set of radio broadcast material of the band(s). I predict that would never happen too, but that's the stuff I need.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Rearward/Schema has 'first dibbs' on the CBBB material, by the look of it. Must be a deal with the Gigi Campi family.

Now playing Count Basie 'Complete Roulette Studio Recordings' LPs 4 and 5. To be followed up with a bit more 'Kenton/Holman/Russo Capitol'. Good stuff.

Johnny Richards Mosaic select. Bought it from a board member, don't remember who. Knew and still know nothing about Richards, i've heard the two first pieces from the cd set, and except for a passage in the second piece where you got some groovin going on this has little or nothing to do with jazz, it sounds a lot more like a classical music ensemble.

Nice sound texture, beautiful and warm with great coloring though, i enjoy it but i'm just did not expected that kind of stuff, think i'll go read the booklet to figure out what this is all about.

stange story, sometime last year i talked to a flea market seller (who had exactly on jazz cd, a woody herman best of, the keith jarrett cd was already sold and) who had a job at WDR about archive material being deleted by the radio stations; he told me something along the lines of "i ran into gigi campi recently, maybe you've heard of him, and he told me he had looked into the WDR archives recently and all (?!) the stuff he had produced was deleted"... hope this is not too true...

Johnny Richards Mosaic select. Bought it from a board member, don't remember who. Knew and still know nothing about Richards, i've heard the two first pieces from the cd set, and except for a passage in the second piece where you got some groovin going on this has little or nothing to do with jazz, it sounds a lot more like a classical music ensemble.

Nice sound texture, beautiful and warm with great coloring though, i enjoy it but i'm just did not expected that kind of stuff, think i'll go read the booklet to figure out what this is all about.

There's lots of real big band jazz on that set, which you've probabaly discovered by now.

Right now: Horace Parlan disc 3 - a great set.

Guest Bixieland

Woody Herman Select, disc 2. "Caldonia." The room is shaking. The house is bouncing. God, but I do love this set!!!!

Greg Mo

Me too. There's not a thing wrong with those 3 discs!

Right now, the Basie set just landed in my lap this afternoon. Funny how that happens.... :w

Disc One: The Complete Clef/Verve Count Basie Fifties Studio Recordings. Enjoying it immensely!!

Wish I could enjoy the Herman Select as much as you guys do. I've had the original lps, I have the Select, I like the music, but it doesn't flip me the way it seems to flip others.

Right now, Johnny Smith, disc one. World's most beautiful sounding guitar, or at least so I think often when listening.

Edited by jazzbo

Wish I could enjoy the Herman Select as much as you guys do. I've had the original lps, I have the Select, I like the music, but it doesn't flip me the way it seems to flip others.

Aw Jazzbo--say it ain't so!!

Swinging to the new Lester Young with Basie set, disc one.

Greg Mo

Aw Jazzbo--say it ain't so!!

Swinging to the new Lester Young with Basie set, disc one.

Greg Mo

Sorry, it's so, I mean I do really like it but I'll never flip for it that much.