Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blue Mitchell

good stuff!

played all his Riversides first, and now the Mosaic set... not sure if I still like the Riversides better - sure, there are some great bands there, and Wynton Kelly is perfect, but Mitchell sounds so poised yet lyrical on the Blue Notes, so self-assured - a pure joy to hear!

Blue Mitchell

good stuff!

played all his Riversides first, and now the Mosaic set... not sure if I still like the Riversides better - sure, there are some great bands there, and Wynton Kelly is perfect, but Mitchell sounds so poised yet lyrical on the Blue Notes, so self-assured - a pure joy to hear!

I love those sessions. Blue is a player that connected with me almost immediately, subtle, yet still an ass kicker when the situation warrants.

Dexter Gordon Select - first spin ever (got it in that catastrophic autumn when all those goodies vanished within a few hours).

Catastrophic yes but you won't regret picking this one up. I still have to give some of those sets a serious listen too. Too bad that the Art Pepper still eludes me. :(

Blue Mitchell Blue Note, CD3

The John Carter-Bobby Bradford Select, disc 1.

Got this set last week along with the Charles LLoyd and Slide Hampton Mosaic singles, all sound great but the Carter/Bradford set is stunning. Pity the master tapes to one session were lost but the sound of the needle drop is very decent and the music borders on the sublime. Hope Mosaic get other Revelation sets out , I'm thinking here of the unissued Marsh/Foster sessions.

Johnny Hodges - Complete Verve Small Group Sessions (1956-61)

31kcfBbdsyL._SL500_SL160_.jpg

Does that set cover any of the material with Wild Bill Davis?

MG

Nope.

I think his first with Davis were for RCA around 1963 (don't have them close by right now to check), then he did a couple more with him for Verve a few years later. I wrote Scott hoping (praying??) that they'd do another Hodges set at least covering the rest of his stuff for Verve in the 60s. The RCA stuff has been issued on cd several times.

gregmo