Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dial Jazz Sessions set, disc 3 for like the third time. Man this sounds good!

Thanks for this. I'm delighted it's sounding up to par. No one would have benefitted from a poor sounding Mosaic consisting of previously released material which was easily available in cheaper editions.

Now listening to disc 4.

Yes, the sound is excellent imo. There are some sounds that you wish were gone, but making them go away I'm sure would damage the sound that is so fine. This is really the best I've heard this Dial material and it's very enjoyable and very important music.

256.jpgelling_duke_complete1_102b.jpg

Okay, get this. My wife and I are having three Christmases this year. We're leaving tomorrow to spend actual Christmas with her family in northwestern Washington. When we get back we're going to have fake Christmas with my family here in Atlanta. But tonight we had our little personal Christmas/solstice celebration and exchanged presents. She had asked me what I wanted, and I said, "How about a Mosaic set?" I gave her a Mosaic catalog with the Ellington small groups and the Clifford Jordan sets checked. When I opened my gift, there were both of them - she couldn't decide.

Tonight I listened to the excellent first disc of the Clifford Jordan, while loading all of the Ellington into my iPod to listen to on the trip. I think that the Ellington small group material is the "major-est" body of jazz from the 1930s that I didn't have in my collection - although I had heard it, thanks to a friend who gave me CDRs of the set.

Okay, get this. My wife and I are having three Christmases this year. We're leaving tomorrow to spend actual Christmas with her family in northwestern Washington. When we get back we're going to have fake Christmas with my family here in Atlanta. But tonight we had our little personal Christmas/solstice celebration and exchanged presents. She had asked me what I wanted, and I said, "How about a Mosaic set?" I gave her a Mosaic catalog with the Ellington small groups and the Clifford Jordan sets checked. When I opened my gift, there were both of them - she couldn't decide.

Tonight I listened to the excellent first disc of the Clifford Jordan, while loading all of the Ellington into my iPod to listen to on the trip. I think that the Ellington small group material is the "major-est" body of jazz from the 1930s that I didn't have in my collection - although I had heard it, thanks to a friend who gave me CDRs of the set.

That's a lot of good listening there! My friend bought the Clifford Jordan box and he loves it.

I just spent my first of 3 Christmas celebrations at my sister's house in Ferndale, WA which is just north of Bellingham as you may know.

Are you going to get time to head down to Old Town Antiques on Holly street for a little record shopping!? I used to love going there but have not had time to go there in many years...have many fond memories of record shopping in Bellingham at places like Golden Oldies, etc...

That's a lot of good listening there! My friend bought the Clifford Jordan box and he loves it.

I just spent my first of 3 Christmas celebrations at my sister's house in Ferndale, WA which is just north of Bellingham as you may know.

Are you going to get time to head down to Old Town Antiques on Holly street for a little record shopping!? I used to love going there but have not had time to go there in many years...have many fond memories of record shopping in Bellingham at places like Golden Oldies, etc...

I really, really want that Clifford Jordan set

That Ellington set is amazing. Essential.

I've been on a bit of a Braxton jag lately, have just started working my way back through the Arista set. Disc 1 and disc 2 this morning... yeah!

Some of the wife's extended family lives in Ferndale. I spent an hour or so in Old Town Antiques six months ago, so I'll probably skip it this visit - I'm "allowed" a certain amount of time on my own, away from the family, and have to budget it. I like to hit Everyday Music in Bellingham every visit, because I always find some great CDs there. There is apparently an employee there who likes Brotzmann!

Joe Pass. For Django material. Noted that this set didn't get a lot of love around here but it really is a wonderful set. Having a Mosaic only week this week with a few breaks for Pass's Six String Santa and some other nuggets. Let's hope the Dial and Jordan are under my tree as that is what I am hoping for....