Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41Dl6XtSYRL.jpg

Louis Armstrong And The Mills Brothers – The Complete Louis Armstrong Decca Sessions [(NO) Apr, Jun 1937] (Decca / Mosaic )
Louis Armstrong And His Orchestra – The Complete Louis Armstrong Decca Sessions [(PQR) July, Nov 1937] (Decca / Mosaic )
— With Henry "Red" Allen, J.C. Higginbotham, Albert Nicholas, Luis Russell, Pops Foster, Paul Barbarin, etc.

Edited by alankin

Roy Eldridge Mosaic, disc 6, the Dixieland session. I'll play the other discs (haven't listened to disc 7 yet) more than this maybe. But they sure are having fun and for a studio recording to have this much energy (some over the top drumming and all) is pretty unique. Committed playing all around. I've gained a greater appreciation for Roy Eldridge because of this set. 

Edited by TedR

Mosaic-Select-20_FrontCover-250x219.jpg

I picked this up last month.  I'm about to listen to the half of the set with Stanley Cowell, Clint Houston and Clifford Barbaro.  I enjoyed the tracks with Cowell, Cecil McBee, who is easily one of my favorite bassists, and Jimmy Hopps, whose playing I hadn't heard before.

I picked this up last month.  I'm about to listen to the half of the set with Stanley Cowell, Clint Houston and Clifford Barbaro.  I enjoyed the tracks with Cowell, Cecil McBee, who is easily one of my favorite bassists, and Jimmy Hopps, whose playing I hadn't heard before.

FYI - that set is ALL good! :cool:

After hearing the Cowell/Houston/Barbaro tracks for the first time last night, I definitely agree.  I actually picked it up without even knowing who was on it, so I'm glad that my blind faith was rewarded.  For being a live collection, both bassists were recorded particularly well, which is a blessing given how strong McBee and Houston are. My only Tolliver-led date that I owned before picking up the Mosaic Select was With Love, so I think that I made a great decision in picking up this set.

EDIT: I hope that that was a general FYI for the uninitiated and that I hadn't given the impression somehow that I didn't like the band with Cowell,Houston and Barbaro, which I was about to hear for the first time when I posted.

Edited by Justin V

After hearing the Cowell/Houston/Barbaro tracks for the first time last night, I definitely agree.  I actually picked it up without even knowing who was on it, so I'm glad that my blind faith was rewarded.  For being a live collection, both bassists were recorded particularly well, which is a blessing given how strong McBee and Houston are. My only Tolliver-led date that I owned before picking up the Mosaic Select was With Love, so I think that I made a great decision in picking up this set.

Those original Slugs albums were the first I heard of Tolliver, and became a huge fan after that. Still some of my favorite music.

The Pacific Jazz Piano Trios – CD 1

Russ Freeman – Russ Freeman Trio [(BC) from Pacific Jazz Piano Trios Mosaic Select] (Pacific Jazz—Mosaic)
— With Joe Mondragon, Shelly Manne

Russ Freeman – Trio Russ Freeman / Richard Twardzik [(A) from Pacific Jazz Piano Trios Mosaic Select] (Pacific Jazz (Japan)—Mosaic)
— With Red Mitchell, (probl.) Bobby White; issued on CD version in Japan

Russ Freeman Trio – [(D) from Pacific Jazz Piano Trios Mosaic Select] (Pacific Jazz—Mosaic)
— With Monty Budwig, Shelly Manne; originally issued on two PJ, WP anthologies: Have Blues, Will Travel and Jazz Swings Broadway

Richard Twardzik – Trio Russ Freeman / Richard Twardzik [(E) from Pacific Jazz Piano Trios Mosaic Select] (Pacific Jazz—Mosaic)
— With Carson Smith, Peter Littman

Mosaic Select: The Pacific Jazz Piano Trios    R-7187971-1435694742-6126.jpeg.jpg    MI0001933205.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Edited by alankin

I kept up with each release in the series. It was a great way to introduce myself to new music - in several cases artists I might not have sought out.

#5 - Paul Chambers sticks out with the white spine.  All other #s 1-20 were pastel colors.  Then they switched to pictures on the spine from 21 - 38 except for #27 - Cohn, Newman & Green and #32 - Pendulum.

Really glad I have them. Lots of enjoyment over the years. Few regrets.  Maybe the Johnny Mercer. I think I posted something here where I compared that set to the candy, Circus Peanuts - those little orange goodies that after two, you've had enough - a little goes a long way. 

I would love love to see the series make it to 40 - for no other reason to even out how they fit on my shelves. 

The Live Recordings of Louis Armstrong and the All Stars. Disc 1, Town Hall concert. "Pennies from Heaven". Wow. 

"Back O Town Blues"...... Some excellent cornet (or maybe trumpet) playing by Bobby Hackett behind Louis' wonderful singing. Haven't heard much comment on Bobby Hackett's great playing on these sides. 

Edited by TedR

• 5 weeks later...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41qZN726s-L.jpg  http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/515OPjKK5fL._SX355_.jpg

Been listening to a good many Mosaics lately - Cecil Taylor Candid, Ellington Capitol, and Mobley in the past few days. Tonight, parts of two Selects:

Sam Rivers Rivbea Orchestra. I panicked a little when this went out print without me realizing that it was even running low. But my copy from an Amazon vendor (priced about the same as Mosiac retail) arrived today. After hearing the first disc, I think that this may be my favorite Rivers large ensemble material.

Dizzy Reece.