Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, ejp626 said:

I've been listening to Duke Ellington Reprise Studio Sessions, mostly Afro-Bossa.

Disc one of that set remains a favorite of all my many mosaic sets. I don't think it has ever been released separately aside from the original issue but I may be wrong.

8 hours ago, mr jazz said:

Disc one of that set remains a favorite of all my many mosaic sets. I don't think it has ever been released separately aside from the original issue but I may be wrong.

Isn't that basically Recollections of the Big Band Era/Will the Big Bands Ever Come Back?

I believe there was a CD issue of this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002JJV?qid=1457311507&ref_=tmm_acd_swatch_0&sr=8-8

(along with some PD versions, but this was legit, I think).

There is also an Original Album Series of Reprise albums but it only includes Will the Big Bands Ever Come Back?

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Album-Ellingtons-Ellington-2010-03-01/dp/B014I7DR8C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1457311630&sr=8-4&keywords=duke+big+bands+come+back

Duke Ellington – CD 11 [(DDD) – Feb 1940] – The Complete 1932-1940 Brunswick, Columbia & Master Recordings of Duke Ellington and His Famous Orchestra (Columbia / Mosaic)
— With Rex Stewart, Wallace Jones, Cootie Williams / Joe Nanton, Lawence Brown, Juan Tizol / Barney Bigard, Johnny Hodges, Otto Hardwick, Ben Webster, Harry Carney / DE, Fred Guy, Jimmie Blanton, Sonny Greer / Ivie Anderson
— Ellington's last session for Columbia before his new contract with RCA Victor.
— He was asked to remake four of this biggest instrumentalal hits of the 1930s, this time with vocals — Solitude, Stormy Weather, Mood Indigo, Sophisticated Lady.

elling_duke_complete1_101b.jpg

Edited by alankin

Barney Bigard and his Orchestra – CD 7 [NN,OO) – Feb 1940] – The Complete Duke Ellington 1936-1940 Variety, Vocalion and Okeh Small Group Sessions (Vocalion / Mosaic)
— With Rex Stewart, Juan Tizol, Barney Bigard, Harry Carney, Billy Strayhorn, Jimmie Blanton, Sonny Greer; titles include: Tapioca, Mardi Gras Madness

Cootie Williams and His Rug Cutters – CD 7 [(PP) – Feb 1940] – The Complete Duke Ellington 1936-1940 Variety, Vocalion and Okeh Small Group Sessions (Vocalion – OKeh / Mosaic)
— With Cootie Williams / Barney Bigard, Johnny Hodges, Harry Carney / Duke Ellington, Jimmie Blanton, Sonny Greer + Billy Strayhorn; titles include: Black Butterfly, Give It Up

artworks-000077451366-zrrqwz-t500x500.jp

Ellington's last sessions for Columbia.  He started recording under his Victor contract in March.

Edited by alankin