Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duke Ellington and his Famous Orchestra – The Centennial Edition – CD 13c –  June 1942 [The Early Forties Recordings – 1940-42] (RCA Victor)
— With Wallace Jones, Ray Nance, Rex Stewart  / Joe Nanton, Lawence Brown, Juan Tizol / Barney Bigard, Johnny Hodges, Otto Hardwick, Harry Carney, Ben Webster / DE or Billy Strahorn, Fred Guy, Alvin "Junior" Raglin, Sonny Greer /Herb Jeffries
— Titles: My Little Brown Book, Main Stem, Johnny Come Lately
— Barney Bigard's last session with Ellington

Duke Ellington and his Famous Orchestra – The Centennial Edition – CD 13d –  July 1942 [The Early Forties Recordings – 1940-42] (RCA Victor)
— With Wallace Jones, Ray Nance, Rex Stewart  / Joe Nanton, Lawence Brown, Juan Tizol / Chauncey Haughton, Johnny Hodges, Otto Hardwick, Harry Carney, Ben Webster / DE or Billy Strahorn, Fred Guy, Alvin "Junior" Raglin, Sonny Greer / Ivie Anderson
— Titles include: Hayfoot Strawfoot, Sentimental Lady, Sherman Shuffle
— Ellington's last studio recording for RCA before the AFM recording ban and also Ivie Anderson's last recording with Ellington

51uJQyMvEWL.jpg

Buck Clayton Jam Session – The Huckle-Buck and Robbins' Nest [(B) – Dec 1953 on The Complete CBS Jam Sessions] (Columbia CL 548 [12" LP] — Mosaic)
— With Buck Clayton, Joe Newman / Urbie Green, Henderson Chambers / Lem Davis, Julian Dash, Charles Fowlkes / Sir Charles Thompson, Freddie Green, Walter Page, Jo Jones
— Titles tunes plus Christopher Columbus and Lean Baby; 1 alternate take; 3 tracks restored to full length

Buck+Clayton+The+Complete+CBS+Buck+Clayt   col548.jpg  

• 2 weeks later...

One disc each from

Dinah Washington Roulette /  Benny Goodman Small Groups / Randy Weston Select / Gerry Mulligan Concert Band / Anita O'Day.

On 2016/6/24 at 9:05 AM, Scott Weaver said:

I agree!  I wish I could find "Tanuki's Night Out" on CD too.

It's track four on From Toshiko With Love . The cd is available from AmazonJp for a mere $100.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_ja_JP=%E3%82%AB%E3%82%BF%E3%82%AB%E3%83%8A&url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=from+toshiko+with+love

4 hours ago, kinuta said:

One disc each from

Dinah Washington Roulette /  Benny Goodman Small Groups / Randy Weston Select / Gerry Mulligan Concert Band / Anita O'Day.

It's track four on From Toshiko With Love . The cd is available from AmazonJp for a mere $100.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_ja_JP=%E3%82%AB%E3%82%BF%E3%82%AB%E3%83%8A&url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=from+toshiko+with+love

Heavy sigh.

Actually I am thinking of buying the Earl Hines and James P. Johnson Mosaic boxes.  I am moving and sold all of my vinyl and now I don't have any of their music.  I used to have the Time-Life Giants of Jazz box sets for these two guys and they were pretty darn good.  Does anyone else have these Mosaic boxes and if so, how are they?  I know ASV Living Era have compilations that are supposed to be good but they are a lot less music.

254.jpg  262.jpg

I would like to feature their music on my Monday night "early jazz" show on my internet radio station.

Armstrong-Town-Hall.jpg

Louis Armstrong and The All Stars – The Complete Town Hal Concert 1947 [(A) from Columbia and RCA Victor Live Recordings] (RCA Victor / Mosaic)
— With Bobby Hackett, Jack Teagarden, Peanuts Hucko, Dick Cary, Bob Haggart, Sid Catlett or George Wettling

MI0003775888.jpg?partner=allrovi.com  360412347627.jpg  

• 1 month later...
On 11.9.2016 at 2:42 PM, mikeweil said:

31kQ7ZePvuL.jpg

Disc two - disc one has a one inch crack from the center! :o

Mosaic sent a replacement disc - everything's fine now, and the music is great. Wasn't aware that the Duke recorded some real jive stuff as the last session on disc two. I often enjoy the small groups more than the big band stuff.