Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

❤️❤️❤️!!!

Slice… is my very favorite Mobley leader-date, with Third Season a close second!

Agreed - both are excellent. Sonny Greenwich a great addition on ‘Third Season’. Great set, this one from Mosaic.

I remember buying ‘Slice..’on LP at the time of original issue (on a UK UA ‘Jazz File’ series offering) and being absolutely gobsmacked at just how good it was, music and arrangements. ‘Third Season’ I picked up years later, ironically in Greenwich’s home territory of Canada, not an easy find in the UK as a US import.

Edited by sidewinder

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ab67616d0000b2730135b3ece26e9ffc959e0b4d

Lou Donaldson, CD1. Long overdue spin. Starting with ‘Lou Takes Off’.

I recall that this was one of those that disappeared super quick on that ‘night of the long knives’. It was a challenge at the time getting hold of a copy. Good mastering job by Ron McMaster.

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished Basie Studio Roulette, started Charles Brown Aladdin.

Decided to spend the money while I had it and get the remaining Mosaic sets that I KNOW I wanted to have before retirement. Very glad that I got both.

On the fence about picking up the Sarah Vaughan Roulette set, I love her, but she made a buttload full of records (not all of them equally compelling) and this set seems to be less that fully essential, thoughts?

Actually heard the album with Basie on Spotify and was, uh...underwhelmed. Were they actually in the same room at the same time?

• 2 weeks later...