Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

So far it has been a nice evening spent with the Oliver Nelson The Verve/Impulse Big Band Studio Sessions. I have heard the first 3 CDs for the first time and I am about to start the fourth. I am a little nervous about the JFK tribute but I am excited about the Pee Wee Russell material coming after.

Good to hear - hopefully my copy arrives next week. The Pee Wee LP is great (have a vinyl) but I'm looking forward to checking out the JFK for the first time.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far it has been a nice evening spent with the Oliver Nelson The Verve/Impulse Big Band Studio Sessions. I have heard the first 3 CDs for the first time and I am about to start the fourth. I am a little nervous about the JFK tribute but I am excited about the Pee Wee Russell material coming after.

The jfk tribute came off a lot better than I had anticipated. I liked the archival speech introductions that set the theme for each song...'Artists' rightful place' was pretty awesome, imo (both the sentiment of JFK's speech and the music)

If sometimes our great artist have been the most critical of our society, it is because their sensitivity and their concern for justice, which must motivate any true artist, makes him aware that our Nation falls short of its highest potential. I see little of more importance to the future of our country and our civilization than full recognition of the place of the artist.

Amherst College, Octoboer, 1963

Edited by montg

The jfk tribute came off a lot better than I had anticipated. I liked the archival speech introductions that set the theme for each song...'Artists' rightful place' was pretty awesome, imo (both the sentiment of JFK's speech and the music)

I agree. Never having heard the Kennedy thing before, I would say it's pretty good, better than I had expected. Overall the whole set is very strong and I really like it, though there are parts of discs 5 & 6 with Jimmy Smith which seem a tad weaker than the rest. On the other hand that's what you get with "complete" sets and some of the stuff with Smith is really good.

Edited for spelling

Edited by John Tapscott

I agree. Never having heard the Kennedy thing before, I would say it's pretty good, better than I had expected. Overall the whole set is very strong and I really like it, though there are parts of discs 5 & 6 with Jimmy Smith which seem a tad weaker than the rest. On the other hand that's what you get with "complete" sets and some of the stuff with Smith is really good.

Edited for spelling

Sorry about the delay in responding.

I was pleasantly surprised how good the JFK stuff was. At first I was a little nervous when the speeches came in but they seemed to compliment the music and vice versa. Now I can't imagine the music without the spoken parts

A very enjoyable set.

Now I am playing the first disc of the Farmer/Golson/Jazztet set.

The Peggy Lee & June Christy Capitol Transcriptions Disk one.

184.jpg

How is it, Matthew? Recommended?

I happened to like it, but it has to be in small doses though. If you like Christy or Lee, then it would be a good buy, but if it's your first exposure to those two singers, I would buy some single cds first, just to test the waters. The style of these sides are very 1950ish, kind of laid-back, slower, in other words, it won't knock your socks off by any means.

I want to thank whoever pointed out the great deal on the O. Nelson from Amazon.co.uk!

Mine arrived today and it's an amazing deal - 6 discs for just £28.91.

Looking forward to spinning these - waited a little long to pick it up,

but this was an absolute steal!

Thanks again!

Rod