Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit earlier - 'Herbie Nichols Complete Blue Note', LP1. One of my 'stash'.

There's a flyer in this box inviting me to buy Vols 1 and 2 of the Commodore set and receive Vol 3 at 20% discount. They even provide a pre-paid reply envelope. I wonder if I should respond? :crazy:

Also in there is Mosaic 'Brochure No. 5' with Herbie Nichols on the front as the 'new release' and a nice little article by Larry Kart on the back !

Listening to my recently bought Jazz Crusaders box set. When i started participating on this board, someone recommended this set. To be honest i knew next to nothing about this ensemble and was not familiar with the majority of the musicians, Wayne Henderson was one of the rare people whose name rang a bell.

Going through the cd number 3 of this fine set and i enjoy very much what i have heard so far, fine soloing, interesting melodies and the arrangements are listener friendly without being too easy.

So i'd like to thank very much the member who suggested it.

Listening to my recently bought Jazz Crusaders box set. When i started participating on this board, someone recommended this set. To be honest i knew next to nothing about this ensemble and was not familiar with the majority of the musicians, Wayne Henderson was one of the rare people whose name rang a bell.

Going through the cd number 3 of this fine set and i enjoy very much what i have heard so far, fine soloing, interesting melodies and the arrangements are listener friendly without being too easy.

So i'd like to thank very much the member who suggested it.

I played that all the way through yesterday - first time for about a year. Wow!

One thing I noticed for the first time was how alike Wayne's and Wilton's playing is. Some solos might be played by the other (on the other instrument, of course). I suspect this was part of the secret.

MG

'Columbia Small Group Swing Sessions 1953-62'. CD6 - the Clark Terry/Coleman Hawkins session which gets quite a bit of stick in the booklet. Have allways liked this session, for all its flaws.

Next up: Johnny Smith set.

What was wrong with the first Nelson set you received from Amazon, Bob? Got my new CD player yesterday and it is a good set to test it with. I have really enjoyed what I have listened to so far.

Edited by ASNL77

The Oliver Nelson set. Got my new CD player yesterday and it is a good set to test it with. I have really enjoyed what I have listened to so far.

Yeh, it's a great set. So many highlights on it. 'Jazzhattan Suite', 'The Kennedy Dream', 'Peter & The Wolf'. Sound didn't disappoint either (although I would give my back teeth for a vinyl version).