Grant Green

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For me it's Feelin' the Spirit. It was one of my first Green experiences, and it just moves me. It's a sincerely deep blue album with a real spirit to it, and every one plays so well; it has some of my favorite Hancock on it. Straight shootin' and so very effectively accomplishing what I think producer and musicians wished. The JRVG is one of my prized possesions!

i went for Idle Moments from the poll but i think i like Green Street just a little better

Oops! I didn't have enought space to add Green Street. Perhaps I could have kicked one of the choices out and replaced it. I guess Green Street hasn't caught on with me yet. Have heard it only a few times.

That's the problem with these polls: the choices are governed by who sets em up. I would have included Green Street had I known it would have garnered some votes. I'm sorry :(

It's hard to pick up a favorite here although I don't think Matador belongs on the list. Not one of my favorites. Ultimately, I picked Feeling the Spirit. It just has such emotion in it. Those spirituals are played so movingly (I'm not a religious person but this record almost makes you one).

Had to go with "Idle Moments." Not only was it the first Grant Green album I ever got, but it was also the first Blue Note I ever got, and it opened me up to an entirely new world of music and artists (being relatively new to jazz, I was stuck in Verve mode). Great, memorable performances by all, and a truly amazing vibe. If anyone doesn't have this album, RUN out and get it! :rsmile:

I was lucky enough to find a really nice vinyl copy of IDLE MOMENTS. It sound even better than the CD (no surprise I suppose). It's a terrific album that bears repeated listening; vinyl really brings out its warm, funky, groovy qualities. I just love that album.

B)

I couldn't vote for Idle Moments because I figured it would win and there are so many other excellent Green sessions. Solid is a great set, as is the duet set with Sonny Clark. I also really like Born to Be Blue and I Want to Hold Your Hand (except for the cover of the song of the same name).

But after all that, I have to vote for Matador. Playing My Favorite Things with the Coltrane rhythm section was special and shows the confidence Grant had in his playing. I think he rises to the challenge on this set. He seems to have just a little something extra, at least to me. I am surprised that Brad doesn't think this one even belongs on the list. Funny thing is, one of the few GG cds that I do not have is Feeling the Spirit. I have passed on it a couple of times after a brief listen. Guess I will have to give that one another chance.

Good thread B) B)

Idle Moments is really good, probably a close 2nd for me. But I had to go with "Solid", which is such an incredible date, with an incredible line-up. Love the combination of Joe Henderson and James Spaulding.

Now, if I were only thinking about Green's playing, and not also the context - that would be a more difficult question. While I do really love Grant Green's playing, I come to most of his CD's a little late in the game. I have plenty of Green's CD's now, but as recently as 2-3 years ago, I didn't have all that many. Silly me - I wasn't all that interested in jazz guitar (in general), and I didn't focus much on Green, untill I realized all the incredible sidemen who were on all his albums. Then, I quickly came to realize what a great player Green was, reguardless of who he was playing with.

Anyway, "Solid" is probably the one Grant Green disc I think of first and most of all, when it comes to Green.

I voted for "Street of Dreams" and it looks like I'm the only one. One of the most beautiful sessions I've ever heard. Excellent playing throughout.

As mentioned elsewhere, I think that Mccoy Tyner helped raise Green's musicianship on both "Solid" and "Matador;" those are two outstanding sessions as well. So are several others listed there.

"Idle Moments" is well known and will probably win the poll. It's a great session as well.

I had to vote for "Street of Dreams" because I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I first heard it. There used to be a Tower Records across from Michigan State Univeristy and I remember going in there late one winter evening after a choir rehearsal and purchasing Street of Dreams. I drove home, hopped in a nice warm bath and put that thing on. And that's where I stayed for the next 40+ minutes is in that tub just listening to the wonderful vibe on that record (no pun intended Mr. Hutcherson)!

I have to say, usually my mind starts to wander when I'm listening to music and doing other things but I was transfixed by that record. Especially Larry's playing (of course!) but then after repeated listenings I started to adore everyone's contribution on that record.

I'll say this too: There are WAY too few organ records with vibes. This is something I plan to remedy. :)

I see that mine is still the only vote for I Want to Hold your Hand. It may or may not be the "best" album, but it was the first Grant I ever heard, and I still think that his solo on This Could Be the Start of Something is one of his finest on record.

I would go for Idle Moments, although Street of Dreams would come very close...I love grant's guitar sound ;unfortunately the material he plays lacks sometimes of substance.

Agree with your taste for organ/vibes combination : one of my top favorite albums in this category is 'lonely Avenue' played by Freddie Mc Coy-vibes backed by a sextet including James Thomas-organ Prestige 7395.Ever heard that one?

I see that mine is still the only vote for I Want to Hold your Hand. It may or may not be the "best" album, but it was the first Grant I ever heard, and I still think that his solo on This Could Be the Start of Something is one of his finest on record.

I agree with Joe that this is a terrific and somewhat overlooked album. "This Could be the Start of Something Good" is just so cool. I remember a few years ago hearing this on a local jazz station and digging it so much. When they announced who did it I was a bit surprised since I wasn't expected Grant Green for some reason. But I ran out and bought the CD the very next day.

Nevertheless, I cast my vote for "Feelin' the Spirit," with "Idle Moments" a very close second.

Ray

• 7 months later...