Grant Green

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Think I am the lone voter for Born to Be Blue. I love the Green/Ike Quebec combination. I remember snagging this to celebrate my passing the CPA exam, way back in 1985 or so. Anyway, all his other stuff is great of course, but this one really sounds soulful and sophisticated to me.

To each his own of course, but I am not a huge, huge fan of Idle Moments or Street of Dreams (or Solid for that matter) -- at least relative to other GG albums. I mean, there is super playing on all of them and the tunes are excellent. But, I really like his trio/quartet stuff. The more Grant the better, I guess.

Eric

Grant's playing was so consistently good on those early 60s BN sessions that I really can't settle on a favorite album. I think, perhaps, the most amazing single track is "It Ain't Necessarily So", with the special appearance by Art Blakey. It would be hard to beat that one.

Grant's albums with Elvin are particularly effective, and my favorite of those would be "Talkin' 'Bout" as there is just the trio and you can focus on Grant especially well.

The first one I heard (circa 1981), and the one that opened my eyes to Grant- NIGERIA (the session with Blakey from the Sonny Clark quartets), has remained my favorite above all the other great ones.

THE LATIN BIT is probably my choice for "most overlooked" GG session.

i went for Idle Moments from the poll but i think i like Green Street just a little better

Oops! I didn't have enought space to add Green Street. Perhaps I could have kicked one of the choices out and replaced it. I guess Green Street hasn't caught on with me yet. Have heard it only a few times.

That's the problem with these polls: the choices are governed by who sets em up. I would have included Green Street had I known it would have garnered some votes. I'm sorry :(

I'd have selected Green Street.

I can't vote here... love so many of these records. The quartets set with Sonny Clark was my very first Green set, and I still love it. Then Idle Moments, Green Street, Talkin' About, Street of Dreams, Solid, are all wonderful albums, as is Feelin' the Spirit. Born to be blue is another favorite of mine.

And some of his earlier stuff is great, too! Grant's First Stand and Grantstand... hell, so many great records! Blessed be Blue Note...

I love the sessions with Sonny Clark - and the other Grant Green BN sessions - but I voted for 'Idle Moments'. There is a magic feeling to that session that I find quite unique. It is one more proof of the genius of Alfred Lion for gathering the right musicians to produce a memorable session that keeps bringing unlimited pleasure after hundreds of listening.

B00000K429.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This has got to be the top, there are many others that have excellent solos and more groove - the Baby Face Willette sessions are my favourites - but here personnel, sound, arrangements, repertoire and solos are all top, a great day, no, two great days in the studio.

Hey guys I'm just playing "Reaching Out". A fine relaxed non BN date with the added bonus of some very nice playing by the rarely heard Frank Haynes. Dont overlook this one.

That's a great one! But no Green date, actually. It was recorded and originally released as by Dave Bailey.

ubu