Small Group Swing..any reccomendations?

sidmmm

Pretty much all the jazz I've been into has been post-bebop, never heard any swing/bigband/smallgroupswing....I got the atomic basie disc the other day, it was OK..i haven't completely warmed to all of it as yet.

I was hoping someone could reccomend some small group swing essentials. I've listened to the Django Reinhart tracks available on Mosaic and I love it...I'm not quite sure i'm ready to spend 96$ on the box but could someone point me to a disc or two that would give me a better idea as to what to expect from the box? (preferably not something that doubles on the mosaic box)....again..any small-group-essentials

thanks,

sid

Anything by Benny Carter or Ben Webster on Verve.

For Carter:

The Urbane Sessions

Cosmopolite

For Webster:

Soulville

or any of the "Encounters" sessions (Mulligan, Hawkins)

Soul of Ben Webster features Hodges and another small group swing virtuoso, Sweets Edison, if you can find it, its a three LP on two CD set, and very nice.

Speaking of Sweets, try to track down The Swinger and Mr. Swing.

(Hope you dig Oscar Peterson, cause he's on most of the Verve/Norgran small group swing sessions of the 50s.)

For starters, I would also suggest

Lester Young: The Kansas City Sessions

Lester Young: The Keynote Sessions

Lester Young: The Aladdin Sessions (Semi-bop flavor)

Charlie Christian: Anything, preferably one of those cheap box sets that were released in recent years.

Vic Dickenson's small group recordings on Vanguard (available on various discs)

Duke Ellington's Small Group Sessions of RCA (1940s), Columbia (1930s), and most of the 50s and 60s small group sessions.

James P. Johnson and the Blue Note Jazzmen

Henry Red Allen and Coleman Hawkins: I Got the World on a String.

and the list goes on and on.

Some other good 'uns I've picked up over the last few months:

Coleman Hawkins-- Hollywood Stampede

Coleman Hawkins All Stars (with Joe Thomas and Vic Dickenson)

Vic Dickenson -- Mainstream

Earl Hines -- Once Upon a Time

Sir Charles Thompson-- For The Ears

Benny Carter -- Further Definitions (just got this & haven't opened it yet, but I'm sure it'll be great)

Paul Quinnechette--The Vice Pres

Mel Powell--It's been so long

A big :tup to the Benny Carter (Urbane Sessions, Cosmopolite, 3-4-5 Small Group Sessions) and Duke Ellington Small Groups suggestions.

Another recommendation for John Kirby's late 1930s to early 40s sextet recordings reissued on 4 discs on the Classics label (the first 3 are the preferred choices).

QUOTE (montg @ May 24 2004, 04:02 PM)

Benny Carter -- Further Definitions (just got this & haven't opened it yet, but I'm sure it'll be great)

It is. 

Gave it a spin tonight and you're right Catesta--straight out of the top drawer. Interesting to hear Charlie Rouse in the setting. Hawk seems like the catalyst for this session..makes my ears perk up everytime he comes in.

Edited by montg

Check out Lionel Hampton's small-group recordings from the '30s for RCA, if you can find 'em now.

The first of JSP's Django Reinhardt box sets is life-altering. (And maybe the 78 transfers weren't stolen. Hope the board's JSP police won't jump on me for recommending this one.)

I assume you already have Billie with Teddy Wilson in the '30s.

Many more thumbs up for Benny Carter "Further Definitions."

And "Ben Webster and Associates" on Verve.

And Prez, and Hawk, and the Ellington Units, and the early John Kirbys, and Fats Waller, and...

Buck Clayton's Jam Sessions on Columbia.

The Terry Gibbs-Buddy DeFranco Tribute to Benny Goodman and Kings of Swing.

"Swing Reunion" on BOMC - Red Norvo, Benny Carter, Remo Palmieri, Freddie Green, Teddy Wilson, George Duvivier, Louis Bellson. A little known session that really grooves. Worth looking for.

VIC DICKENSON!!!

THAT one sounds VERY interesting. I don't have it and am planning on ordering it.

Trouble is that it was released by/is marketed by Zyx (Label: Slp (ZYX) ) in Germany. Does anyone have that edition. How does it sound?

Anything by Zyx I've gotten very weary of. They have some of the worst-sounding releases of the millenium over here.

Cheers!