Tina Brooks

1ngram

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, Lion and Wolff are pretty much what stands between Tina Brooks and oblivion... in those days, the US was full of totally amazing Hard Bop Tenor Players, give me a time machine and a lottery win - I'll produce you a handful of hard bop classics... if Tina Brooks isn't available, I'll track down Joe Alexander in Cleveland, Nat Perilliat in New Orleans or the right guys in Chicago, LA, SF or Philadelphia... so many potentially amazing hard bop records went unrecorded - and Tina Brooks and his four albums really don't look like the point where stuff went wrong... if Tina Brooks really just recorded four albums because he was gay, you really don't want to know what was wrong with all those guys who recorded nothing at all...

Some of the locals you mention apparently weren't willing to upend their lives/family situations and do the NYC graveyard thing.  Philly has a tenor player named Larry McKenna who is amazing, but he has stayed in Philly.  Bootsie Barnes also.

3 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

I don't think anyone was making an issue of Brooks' sexuality but rather questioning whether that may have had something to do with what appears to be mistreatment by BN's owners at the time and/or others. The initial question was more indicting of Lion & Wolff, not Brooks. 

Correct. It's curiosity on my part, because as someone who's deeply connected to art/queerness in art, there are several clues that were leading me in that direction with regards to Tina Brooks.

On 4/4/2022 at 2:20 PM, Dub Modal said:

I don't think anyone was making an issue of Brooks' sexuality but rather questioning whether that may have had something to do with what appears to be mistreatment by BN's owners at the time and/or others. The initial question was more indicting of Lion & Wolff, not Brooks. 

Right Dub, I wasn't trying to exemplify this aspect either, all I was trying to say is that it doesn't matter to me; if I like the music, who cares?  Right?

6 minutes ago, felser said:

Per Brooks and BN, I believe I remember reading that 'True Blue' sold under 1,000 copies when it was released, and that is why they did not release the other dates - economically unfeasible.

Right, why it fetches those ridiculous prices at auction houses.  

18 hours ago, felser said:

Per Brooks and BN, I believe I remember reading that 'True Blue' sold under 1,000 copies when it was released, and that is why they did not release the other dates - economically unfeasible.

Back in the late 80's, I got to know a jazz record collector who worked at a record store in Northampton, MA. He had a huge collection that included a bunch of rare Blue Notes. He told me that he had never seen an original of "True Blue".

A better bet is likely the Classic Records DG reissue. Probably plays a lot better than most of those original copies out there still in existence.

I think I came close to an original once. A store I used to deal with (no longer in existence) listed a number of Blue Notes about to come into their possession. One was ‘True Blue’ with the BLP mono number. I asked for an immediate ‘hold’ on it of course but when the collection came in - no sign of it. That was the best part of 20 years ago, before the recent madness really took off.

Edited by sidewinder

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

A better bet is likely the Classic Records DG reissue. Probably plays a lot better than most of those original copies out there still in existence.

Yes, sonically the Classic reissue are closer to originals then any other reissues I listened to, that doesn't mean that they are the best sounding out there.

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

This isn't exactly new. Live in Brazil came out in 2004 and is super cheap for anyone who didn't buy it then:

https://www.discogs.com/master/875051-Ray-Charles-%C3%94-Genio-Live-In-Brazil-1963

Yup, I remember when this was first discovered around here back around 2004-2005, something like that.  Not pricey at all, either…

https://www.amazon.com/Ray-Charles-Genio-Live-Brazil/dp/B000641A7M

I like the set with the giant sunglasses as backdrop. I wish I could find a pair that big for real life. People would ask me where you get that shit, and I would tell them that all it takes is a 3D printer, a Ray Charles movie, and a little skill that somebody else has.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

This isn't exactly new. Live in Brazil came out in 2004 and is super cheap for anyone who didn't buy it then:

https://www.discogs.com/master/875051-Ray-Charles-%C3%94-Genio-Live-In-Brazil-1963

But this is the first time I've seen it on YouTube. I don't generally buy every music DVD ever made. :)

38 minutes ago, bresna said:

But this is the first time I've seen it on YouTube. I don't generally buy every music DVD ever made. :)

Neither do I but in 2004 this was a chance to see Tina Brooks and youtube hadn't even launched yet.