Complete Miles Davis at Montreux

Not I, but I'd love to hear the disc (or is it two?) from the "late" mid-70's.

You know, if I could find a copy of this set for something reasonable (say $100 or less), I'd be tempted. Looking at completed auctions on eBay, it appears the going 'street value' for used copies of this set range from about $115 to $145 (plus or minus). One went for $99, but that was with a "buy it now" -- pretty good deal.

Anybody else have this?? Spontoon, didn't you mention something about this one time?? - like maybe you had it, or were eyeing one at one time??

I got it for a pretty good price on e-bay. Mixed reactions. Obviously, there's a ton of music on 20 CD's. I've had this set for over a year and I think I've made it through maybe 12-15 of the discs. Lots of tunes done over and over again and let's face it, this isn't Miles with his chops completely intact. I've likened the Montreaux set to Billie Holiday's "Lady in Satin". Tremendously emotional at times, but far from the best work either ever did. My bottom line would have to be that even if Miles from this period is your favorite Davis, this is still overkill. If I'm not mistaken, there are some "best of" discs that have been culled from this set. Unless your a Miles completist (now there's a scary thought) I think most folks would be better off with something like that than with the whole box.

Up over and out.

As you can read in the other thread I have the set (and a pair of Birkenstok "Chicago" shoes which are broken in quite well now).

I like this set more than I thought I would. I find the recordings fantastic sonicswise. And even though I really don't like the studio albums from the eighties that much, these live performances bring out aspects missing in the studio recordings and are actually quite exciting at times.

Sure, it's overkill. BUT I can pull one disc out every month or so for the next decade or so before getting really tired of this set! And for the record: there was one seventies date at the festival, and it spans the first two cds of this set.

And for the record: there was one seventies date at the festival, and it spans the first two cds of this set.

It would be nice if they'd release that seperately. Or else it's going to be much copied boot.

Not I, but I'd love to hear the disc (or is it two?) from the "late" mid-70's.

You know, if I could find a copy of this set for something reasonable (say $100 or less), I'd be tempted. Looking at completed auctions on eBay, it appears the going 'street value' for used copies of this set range from about $115 to $145 (plus or minus). One went for $99, but that was with a "buy it now" -- pretty good deal.

Anybody else have this?? Spontoon, didn't you mention something about this one time?? - like maybe you had it, or were eyeing one at one time??

I bought it and haven't been able to get thru all 20 discs. Too much repetition for me.

If you want it for $125 plus $5 shipping, it's yours.

I don't think this set sold very well, so I don't understand why they repeat the same concept with the John McLaughlin 20+ CD set. I would have bought the Shakti material, but I'm not a fan of the Mahavishnu Orchestra and his later projects, so I have to pass on this set too.

Thanks for your comments. Well, I took the plunge. I found a new set for $140 and bought it. Apparently I could have gotten one cheaper yet, but this seemed like a pretty decent price. I listened to a lot of the clips from the set and found myself, to my surprise, really digging them. I haven't been a huge fan of Miles later period, but this music really appealed to me. I agree with you Jazzbo on the musical merits. I'll wait and see how I feel after 20 cds worth! That would make for some long weekend- a straight-through listen of the entire set :eye:

I noticed that some sources are no longer offering the set, or it is not in stock. I wonder if it is about to go OOP?

Thanks for your comments. Well, I took the plunge. I found a new set for $140 and bought it. Apparently I could have gotten one cheaper yet, but this seemed like a pretty decent price. I listened to a lot of the clips from the set and found myself, to my surprise, really digging them. I haven't been a huge fan of Miles later period, but this music really appealed to me. I agree with you Jazzbo on the musical merits. I'll wait and see how I feel after 20 cds worth! That would make for some long weekend- a straight-through listen of the entire set :eye:

I noticed that some sources are no longer offering the set, or it is not in stock. I wonder if it is about to go OOP?

Could be - I think Warner Switzerland was actually producing it, and I remember reading (probably on their or some other website) that it will be limited.

I've got it, too (paid about the same amount as you did, btw), and enjoyed what I've heard so far - but then I've heard only three or four discs. The reason for this is that I simply bought too many CDs and there are still heaps of unlistened stuff around here, and even bigger heaps of never *really* listened discs... It's not about quality of the music, not at all.

ubu

so ubu, how's about you stick to that buying freeze of yours then for a while and start listening? :w

did I read elsewhere that TWO more Mosaic sets are on their way to your cave? :huh::mellow:

post-19-1085697925.jpg

HELL MAN, WHEN ANNOUNCING ("fegh" as says our friend cow) MY BUYING FREEZE (in the funny rat kind of thread, I guess), I *E*X*P*L*I*C*I*T*L*Y* *E*X*C*L*U*D*E*D* MOSAIC SETS (anyway - holy couw! - what's the connection between old Mose and Mosaic? I mean, are they his predicate, or rather attribute linguistically (fegh Chomsky, in this context!) speaking?)

ubu :rmad::o;):D:lol:

I have the set and really like it. It serves to demonstrate that Miles' 80s material has value, it just rarely came through on the studio albums.

I have more Miles CDs than any other artist, so I'm one of those guys who pretty much likes everything he does to some degree (though I've removed the duds from the collection, like Quiet Nights and Man With the Horn *shudder*). I've always wanted to hear some more hot live material from this period since I listened to We Want Miles, by far the best post-'70s Miles record, IMO. No coincidence that one is live, too.

Sure there are many version of Human Nature and Time After Time. But who listens to 20 CDs in one shot, anyway? I listen to a concert, which is usually 2 CDs on this set.

The 70s stuff is nice but not essential. This music has been documented extensively on other releases. The last few disks I don't listen to, either, as the band is too small and peppered with relative amateurs, at least compared to the earlier discs, and Miles' decline is too much. The Quincy Jones thing is too cheesy- I can live without that. It's everything in the middle that I care about and makes the set worth it. The medleys with slap bass and killer drumming is great, and then when they take it down with Human Nature (a truly great song, even the original version) is sweet.

• 12 years later...

Just got a like-new copy of this set for $95 from an online seller and jumped in at disc 11. So much vitality in the music that I've heard so far--but then I've gotten pretty deeply immersed in Miles' Warner Bros period in the past couple of weeks. I have a feeling this set is going to validate Jsngry and other's opinions that the real gold from this era is to be found in the live performances.