Memorial Day plans?

So, anyone have any exciting plans for the weekend? At this point it looks like rain in KC this weekend, so I may have to postpone the grill-a-thon.

What's your pleasure? Traveling? Charring animal flesh? Heavy juicing? Laying low?

EDIT: ....and I was remiss in not asking if anyone had any interesting gigs this weekend!

Edited by Free For All

My Dad's gonna visit, driving in from St. Louis today. He and I have plans to work on some stuff around my house, some electrical stuff mostly, like a circuit in the kitchen that doesn't work, and put in a new outlet in the dining room, etc...

Hopefully the weather will be OK on Sunday (though that's not looking too good), cuz we've all got plans to get together with my wife's folks, and catch the outdoor KC Symphony pops concert at Union Station, followed by fireworks. (If it gets rained out on Sunday, then hopefully they can squeeze it in on Monday night.)

Nothing terribly exciting by conventional standards, but it'll be good to spend time with my Dad, who's staying until Tuesday. I've been to St. Louis several times since my Mom passed away back in February, but this'll be his first trip here since then. (I call him two or three times a week, and he seems to be doing quite well.) So it'll be good to have my Dad here for a fairly long visit, about 5 days.

My wife's mother, aunt and sister are finally seeing the new house on Sunday (and they only live 45 minutes away, its taken them almost three months to get down here).

But that's dependent on having a functional AC unit. It crapped out yesterday, just before we were planning to sign up for the service contract. ARRGGHH!!!

I may go see Troy. . . again. I loved the visual spectacle of this, and being a longtime Homer fan I thought I would see this in the theater one more time. It's quite an interesting adaptation and some good acting. . . .

My wife is really tired and stressed and says we're not going to do anything big at all. If I'm lucky an old tube stereo system that I have inherited from her late aunt will arrive tomorrow and I'll be able to set that system up and play around with it. . . . Me love tubes.

Edited by jazzbo

We'll stay around- my son graduates from college on Saturday, On Sunday I'm taking my 4 year old girl canoeing and fishing, and Monday we'll take a ride up to the Blue Ridge Parkway and just lazy around the area, coming back to BBQ in the afternoon.

Glad I'm not traveling.

Dan- did you purchase a home warranty when you bought your place?

Working on the outside of the house (weather permitting) for most of the week end, going to a BBQ on Saturday night and maybe the Indy 500 on Sunday. Not a huge race fan but love the spectacle :wacko: especially when someone else is driving to and from the Speedway! Following this up with a weekend in St. Louis and KC to see the Cards (my favorite) vs. Houston and KC vs. Bosox and then the Indy Jazz fest on Father's Day weekend....a nice month of June!

Mark

You guys and gals are lucky ... I take a plane out of Houston at 7:30 a.m. Monday morning on my way to Singapore .. a 29 hour trip!! My weekend will be spent getting ready for that, and polishing up my powerpoint presentation for the conference I am going to. Mostly, I will be spending an inordinant amount of time selecting what CDs to take with me to assist in surviving the plane trip .... I am hoping to get an iPod for Xmas ...

You guys and gals are lucky ... I take a plane out of Houston at 7:30 a.m. Monday morning on my way to Singapore .. a 29 hour trip!! My weekend will be spent getting ready for that, and polishing up my powerpoint presentation for the conference I am going to. Mostly, I will be spending an inordinant amount of time selecting what CDs to take with me to assist in surviving the plane trip .... I am hoping to get an iPod for Xmas ...

Sounds like you need one now!

I'm flying to Salt Lake City this afternoon. I went to school at BYU and my wife's family lives about an hour south of SLC, so I know the area pretty well. I've got a few meals with friends planned, and my wife's family will be doing a barbecue on Saturday. Other than that, it's anyone's guess. I don't particularly care for my in-laws, so fortunately I'll be back home on Sunday afternoon. ;)

You  guys and gals are lucky ... I take a plane out of Houston at 7:30 a.m. Monday morning on my way to Singapore .. a 29 hour trip!!  My weekend will be spent getting ready for that, and polishing up my powerpoint presentation for the conference I am going to. Mostly, I will be spending an inordinant amount of time selecting what CDs to take with me to assist in surviving the plane trip .... I am hoping to get an iPod for Xmas ...

Sounds like you need one now!

Yes, I agree .. can we start a GGAIN Fund on here ("Get Garth An Ipod Now!") ?

I will start with $10.00 ... whose next?

Gig, after gig, after gig. I'm playing the Folklife Festival in Seattle tomorrow night, then binge-drinking w/ old friends until as late/early as possible. Saturday, playing back here in Portland w/ a singer & songwriter, and then doing a big band gig early sunday evening followed by a Reggae gig later that night (I need the $). I'm just really glad that I have ON-DEMAND so that I don't have to miss the Sopranos! :blink:

Gig, after gig, after gig. I'm playing the Folklife Festival in Seattle tomorrow night, then binge-drinking w/ old friends until as late/early as possible. Saturday, playing back here in Portland w/ a singer & songwriter, and then doing a big band gig early sunday evening followed by a Reggae gig later that night (I need the $). I'm just really glad that I have ON-DEMAND so that I don't have to miss the Sopranos!  :blink:

Sounds like you're ON DEMAND!! :rsmile:

What's the BB gig?

It's sort of a "big band" called March Fourth, a Burlesque-style thing w/ 10 horns, 9 drummers, a bassist, and dancers (stilt walkers, fire dancers, etc.). Definitely a big group of folks, but not your traditional big band. We do play Monk, Strayhorn, and other tunes that keep my interest. It's a "party" :party: , but not the most musical of projects.