Underrated non-BN dates from 1965 thru early 70's

Rooster_Ties

f77770liajk.jpg

Live in Baltimore, 1966, w/Lamont Johnson, Scotty Holt, & Billy Higgins. Long, INTENSE jams, perhaps the longest and most intense Jackie on record, a perfect blend of "out" playing over "in" tunes. There's a companion volume, TUNE UP, also on Steeplechase, which I have yet to hear. I need to remedy that.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also by McLean, also on Steeplechase, but from 1974:

d257739m2g1.jpg

AMG's Jim Todd calls it correctly:

Jackie McLean's band on New York Calling, the Cosmic Brotherhood, plays with uncompromising passion, fury, and intelligence. The group, a generation younger than the leader, has a sound that is definitive '70s advanced hard bop. Although not as well-known as some of their contemporaries, by the time of this 1974 recording, the members of McLean's quintet had logged playing time with many of the leaders of the hard bop scene: McCoy Tyner, Gary Bartz, Sam Rivers, Art Blakey, Freddie Hubbard, and others. In addition to exceptional chops, the band has strong writers in trumpeter Billy Skinner and pianist Billy Gault. Their tightly voiced arrangements, punctuated by roiling power surges from the rhythm section, call to mind the work of Woody Shaw, whose classic Moontrane was also recorded in 1974. However, where Shaw's music possesses an urbane, majestic poise, Skinner and Gault go for a skittering, street-level urgency. McLean, recognizing the powerful talents in his midst — including McLean's son, René, on tenor, alto, and soprano sax — comes across as one among equals. It's to McLean's credit that the date bears the stamp of his band's artistry as much as it does his own.

Oliver Nelson - BLACK BROWN AND BEAUTIFUL (Flying Dutchman, 1969) (not to be confused w/the totally unrelated Bluebird reissue of the same name)

In some regards moreso than BLUES AND THE ABSTARCT TRUTH, this is the definitive Oliver Nelson album. One side "classical" oriented orchestral pieces (but 20th century classical, and definitely African-American in grounding), the other side some of Nelson's most probing, emotional, and challenging writing for conventional big band. A work of stunning complexity and depth, with more than a few chances taken, and more than successfully so.

AMG's Douglas Payne calls it correctly, if briefly:

A stirring tribute to Martin Luther King that is as searching and angry as it is contemplative and compassionate. Nelson mixes dissonant orchestral moments that nearly lapse into free zones with lovely, more familiar territory which celebrate a joy of love and life. Highly recommended but (as of yet) unissued on CD and very hard to find.

Part of the difficulty in finding the LP might be due to the fact that there is a fully frontally nude photo of a woman who is black, brown, and VERY beautiful (at least from the neck down - her face is not shown), which probably cost sales originally, and which probably drives the album into the hands of a "different" type of collector these days. It's a pity, because this is music that NEEDS to be heard.

And there's a Koch reissue of some Atlantic album featuring the same band (minus Booker), that's very good, too.

That Atlantic LP was a reissue - the original was on Randy Weston's own label Bakton. And Booker Ervin is on it, too .....

Edited by mikeweil

f52315l1y2q.jpg

Sadao Watanabe - ROUND TRIP (Vanguard, 1974 (supposedly, but a few years earlier sounds more right to me).

The justifiably mentioned Eric Kloss dates bring this, even more lesser-known, date to mind. Watanabe w/Chick Corea, Miroslav Vitous, and Jack DeJohette. The trio is firing on all cylinders, and is about as intensely in-synch and powerful as can be imagined. Watanabe often sounds like he's, at various points, in, almost in, or totally in, over his head, but BFD - the work of the trio is a total mindfuck, providing a different take on Corea's "out" playing since Vitous locks in differently w/him and Jack than Holland did in the Lost Quintet, and both Vitous & DeJohnette provide strong voices that contrast strongly but equally w/those of Holland & Altschul in Circle (yeah, it's "that" kind of a session for the most part). Not a "lost classic" when Watanabe plays, but definitely one when he doesn't, which is most of the time.

Not for the faint of heart, but everybody else, jump in!

g04642jdswo.jpgcarn_spirit.gif

(Image size not relative to musical quality!)

Charles Tolliver shines on SPIRIT OF THE NEW LAND, and the little known George Harper puts in some quietly understated work on INFANT EYES that seems "so what?" until you actually LISTEN to it. Drummers kick ass on both, Michael Carvin on the former, Alphone Mouzon on the latter.

Good stuff, very much "for the people" in the way that that meant back when people were looking for guidance and moral uplifting in their music.

B000056OZX.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Atlantic 1969/Label M 2001

You really need this one f62185hkp8h.jpg (Atlantic 1972, unissued/Rhino 1993)for the full picture, since it has five gorgeous cuts from a later session that haven't been issued anywhere else, but either one will do.

This is as deep and daring as jazz singing gets. Try singing along.

I dare you. :g

And as surprising as it might come to some, including myself, who know of my overall ambivalence towards most of his work, pretty much anything that Phil Woods recorded w/The European Rhythm Machine (George Gruntz or Gordon Beck, Henri Texier, & the always inspiring Daniel Humair) is a satisfying listen. The repertoire is fully modern-for-te-time-and-players, no holds are barred, and Woods plays with a probing passion that seems to have left him totally not too long after he returned to the US and became the grumpy old man of bebop.

Check it out!

All of Lateef's Impulse output is very worthy of more attention I think. Maybe not underrated by the fans, but definitely underrated by the company it seems. Hopefully the release of the Golden Flute is a sign of more good things to come.

Albert Mangelsdorff deserves some mention. Although recorded outside the timespan focused on here, his quintet albums Now Jazz Ramwong and (One) Tension ('63/'64) are very interesting outings that give you a European take on the inside/outside thing without relying on American role models too much.

All of Lateef's Impulse output is very worthy of more attention I think. Maybe not underrated by the fans, but definitely underrated by the company it seems. Hopefully the release of the Golden Flute is a sign of more good things to come.

I'm very much a fan of 1984.

Could someone please give me a little help with brother Yusef Lateef. What do you guys consider essential? What about his Atlantic stuff?

Thanks. I am enjoying the thread.

On Atlantic, The Blue Yusef Lateef is a wonderful album with some otherwordly wackiness in between when Lateef sings some Japanese song. I enjoy it, but it seems something others tend to skip. Besides that, the title is very apt: there is a lot of deeply felt blues in various disguises. Very variated even with that restriction. Highly recommended, and probably what they call essential.

On Impulse, besides the already mentioned Golden Flute album, currently only his Live at Pep's recordings are available I believe. Those are both stunning documents of the band with Richard Williams on trumpet. Williams does some beautiful ballads here. Lateef is his beautiful self. Hard to go wrong with these two as well I should say.

Of course the Savoy and Prestige/New Jazz/OJC stuff that comes before is as pretty and as accessibly original as any of it. Hard to go wrong with those really. The Atlantic period is a bit of a mixed bag and then there are two on CTI that are more for the fans of fusion. Somewhere in the 80s Lateef played more of that new age/mood music than what you might consider jazz.

Couw, I have the same regard for the Yusef Lateef albums on Savoy/Prestige/Verve as you have for the Jackie McLean BNs vs. the Prestige/New Jazz albums. Much prefer those to most of the later stuff on Atlantic and Impulse. Don't think those are bad but the rough early stuff from Lateef are the ones I play more often!

As I wrote, it is hard to go wrong with Lateef's Savoy/OJC output, the ones I know are all excellent (still have to get some of those) :tup

My love for Richard Williams playing ballads draws me strongly towards some of the Impulse stuff though. And there are some very interesting inside/outside things to be found on the Impulse albums, which is what this thread is about of course...

Lateef's 'Live at Peps' is one of the greatest from this vintage (or maybe it's slightly earlier). Probably my favourite live jazz recording, along with Morgan's 'Live at the Lighthouse'.

So much great stuff over this vintage both on BN and other labels. Off the top of my head:

Chick Corea 'Inner Space' (Vortex/Atlantic)

All of the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis UA albums

Everything Gerald Wilson ever did for Pacific Jazz/World Pacific...

lots of great British jazz of this vintage such as the John Surmans on Deram, Mike Westbrook 'Celebration' and 'Release' also on deram, recordings by Neil Ardley's New Jazz Orchestra, Harry Beckett's 'Flare Up', Rendell-Carr 'Dusk Fire', 'Phase III' and 'Live', Stan Tracey 'Under Milk Wood' and John McLaughlin 'Extrapolation'

Lots of great post-1966 Jazz Crusaders LPs on Pacific Jazz/World Pacific

Some great Denny Zeitlins on CBS including 'Live at the Trident' and 'Zeitgeist'

Great MPS albums including 'Dizzy Gillespie Reunion Big Band' and Freddie Hubbard 'The Hub of Hubbard'

and all of the Clarke/Boland and Sahib Shihab material recorded for MPS/SABA/Rearward (already mentioned).

Truly a vintage period for jazz...

Edited by sidewinder

The list continues:

Jay McShann: The Man from Muskogee

Ben Webster: Remember

Randy Weston: Berkshire Blues

Jimmy Lyons: Other Afternoons

Roy Eldridge: The Nifty Cat

Here Comes Earl Hines w. Elvin and Richard Davis

The Lee Konitz Duets

Charlie Parker Memorial Concert 3/27/65 (Dizzy, Konitz, Moody, Hawk, Roy, KD, etc.)

Ted Curson Quartet: Urge

Marion Brown: Porto Novo

Sonny Rollins: There Will Never Be Another You - Underrated because it was only marketed for a short time until Sonny sued and forced Impulse to withdraw it.

Charlesp: THANKS for the "Three For Shepp" recommendation. I hadn't listened to that before. It's really dynamite.

Here's one for the list, although it's from 1974:

Shirley Scott "One For Me" with Harold Vick on tenor. On Strata-East.