Underrated non-BN dates from 1965 thru early 70's

Rooster_Ties

Albert Mangelsdorff deserves some mention. Although recorded outside the timespan focused on here, his quintet albums Now Jazz Ramwong and (One) Tension ('63/'64) are very interesting outings that give you a European take on the inside/outside thing without relying on American role models too much.

A couple AM sides I've always enjoyed are "The Wide Point" with Elvin and Palle Danielson (great version of "Three Card Molly"!) and "Trilogue Live" with Jaco and Alphonse Mouzon.

Albert is the undisputed master of trombone multiphonics. He can get four notes (and more I think) happening at once. Really freaky cool stuff. His sense of melody is unique and wonderful too.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other night I found an old favorite I hadn't heard since before the New Year: Don Ellis Orchestra - Live at Monterey!

This was the Ellis band's first album, recorded at the 1966 Monterey Jazz Festival.

I still enjoy listening to it these many years later. The band had a gimmick - odd meters. One song is entitled "Beat Me Daddy, Seven to the Bar"!

...and it's called AFRICAN COOKBOOK.

Yeah alright - you know by now that I'm lazy :w

(Was far away from my collection when I posted, but wanted to get the word out, anyway).

Jim, that Friedman sounds VERY VERY good! Also more Zoller is always a good thing.

ubu

I love those Friedman-Zoller records, especially "Metamorphosis" and "The Horizon Beyond." Great interplay, very free playing from all musicians and sickening runs through those heads!

Mangelsdorff "Tension" :tup (if you can find the fucker!)

Nobody ever talks about Graham Collier, English bassist and bandleader/composer. His two LPs for Fontana UK -- "Songs for My Father" and "Down Another Road" are not to be missed, featuring fine fine playing from some of the cream-of-the-crop in British jazz. Unique modal/avant-garde jazz with a lot of orchestral weight for a small-ish band (six to eight pieces). Also, those first two Keith Tippett records (one on Polydor, one on Vertigo -- both reissued by BGO) are really hot.

Another one of my favorites came to me last night. Herbie Mann - Standing Ovation at Newport, on Atlantic, with Chick Corea and Dave Pike.

I notice that many of my favorites from this period are on Atlantic, or related labels Vortex and Embryo, both of which Herbie Mann controlled in some way.

Stuff Smith at the Montmatre

Earl Hines and Jimmy Rushing: Blues & Things

The Jimmy Rushing All Stars: Gee Baby, Ain't I Good to You

Henry "Red" Allen: Feeling Good

The College Concert of Pee Wee Russell and Henry Red Allen

Jazz Composer's Orchestra (w. Cecil, Rudd Cherry, Sanders, Coryell, Barbieri)

Phineas Newborn Jr.: Please Send Me Someone To Love; Harlem Blues

Walt Dickerson Quartet: Jazz Impressions of A Patch of Blue

Sonny Murray: Sonny's Time Now

Albert Mangelsdorff and Friends (duets w. Cherry, Elvin, Karl Berger, Attila Zoller, Konitz, and Wolfgang Dauner)

Speaking of Walt Dickerson, I am also very fond of 'Impressions of a Patch of Blue' with some nice Sun Ra piano. I believe this was a Verve Elite Edition a few years ago and I guess they did not make many copies, so if you see it pick it up.

Speaking of Walt Dickerson, I am also very fond of 'Impressions of a Patch of Blue' with some nice Sun Ra piano. I believe this was a Verve Elite Edition a few years ago and I guess they did not make many copies, so if you see it pick it up.

Each and every Walt Dickerson album is grossly underrated.

I'm surprised that someone listed "Conference of the Birds". I'd always thought that it was an acclaimed and popular record. John Norris and Bill Smith who used to run Coda magazine also had a Jazz/Blues records store in Toronto for a while. Around the time "Birds" came out, John told me that whenever they had it on the turntable whoever was in the store asked about it and bought a copy.

Roy Brooks 'The Free Slave', one of the first Muse LP albums recorded in April 1970 at the Left Bank Jazz Society in Baltimore with a superb quintet (Woody Shaw, George Coleman, Hugh Lawson, Cecil McBee and Brooks) and an audience that grooved along the music.

Don't think this ever came out on CD.

I saw a sealed copy of this at the Jazz Record Mart in Chicago about a month and a half ago. I highly recommend this album (notice my avatar) to fans of Walt Dickerson, the vibes, or just great music in general. I just checked their website and it's available for order. Somebody jump on this! :excited:

I wish someone would release his "Unity" and "Jazz Impressions of Lawrence of Arabia" on CD. A board member was kind enough to burn a CD for me from the original vinyl, and these two dates are very good, very much in the same vein as "Impressions of a Patch of Blue."

Edited by vibes

• 9 months later...