Bass Player Eddie Khan

Hardbopjazz

Guest youmustbe

I have no idea what happened to him. But, I heard him with Max (Jordan, Waldron) and last time I heard him was 64 with Dolphy's group at Five Spot, with Hutcherson and J.C. Moses.

I always liked that fat, gut string sound of his. Like Butch Warren, a solid bass player doing his job.

The info I had from Valerie at the JC board was that Khan was gone:

Unfortunately, Eddie Kahn died years ago from lung cancer, I think.

But note that "I think"--so it ain't for sure. Perhaps Cadence magazine's obits would turn up more info?

He's another player like JC Moses & Frankie Dunlop who just seemed to vanish after the 1960s.

Edited by Nate Dorward

The info I had from Valerie at the JC board was that Khan was gone:

Unfortunately, Eddie Kahn died years ago from lung cancer, I think.

But note that "I think"--so it ain't for sure. Perhaps Cadence magazine's obits would turn up more info?

Maybe the "I think" refers to the cause of death, not the fact of his passing?

Frankie Dunlop didn't disappear after the 1960s. He was in the Lionel Hampton band in the late 1970s and was performing and recording into the 1980s but is now dead. I've never been able to get a firm date, though.

I'll see if I can find some more on Eddie Khan. The Social Security Death Index shows only *one* E. Khan but it's not him - born 1952.

Mike

He and JC Moses play wonderfully together on the Eric Dolphy Illinois Concert. This and Andrew Hill Smokestack were both recorded in 1963. I know Smokestack gets mixed reviews around here, but it is a real go-to disc in my collection. I like what the second bass does to Hill's otherwise trio music.

I went to our local music library and looked in some reference books - Grove, etc - but no sign of Eddie Kahn apart from what we already know. Mission failure - sorry. I hope somebody can find out - seems rather sad that nobody knows. But we can still listen to his music.

I went to our local music library and looked in some reference books - Grove, etc - but no sign of Eddie Kahn apart from what we already know. Mission failure - sorry. I hope somebody can find out - seems rather sad that nobody knows. But we can still listen to his music.

Tooter, note that the name spells KHAN, not KAHN.

Not sure this will really help!

Guest youmustbe

JC I think went back to Pittsburgh, and I forget when he died, liver.

I remember in 63 or 4, when Chares Lloyd and Zawinul were in Cannon's band, Charles did a Monday night at Five Spot. With Richard Davis and J.C..

I was at the bar and J.C. was telling everybody how lame the white boy, Joe, was. Just then Joe walked up to the bar, and J.C. greetd him with a smile and a hug, 'Joe, my man!'.

Shotly after, J.C. Moses Quartet played Sunday afternoons at Slugs'. With Pharaoh, Lonnie Liston Smith and Norris Jones (Sirone). I used to go every Sunday. One sunday Leon Thomas sat in. A couple of weeks later it was the Pharaoh Sanders-Leon Thomas band, with Roger Blank on drums! And the rest is history. Had that band stayed together longer, it would have been HUGE!

I booked both Pharaoh and Leon in later years. Leon was, to say the least, a trip!

I remember reading that Khan was deceased and had been for a while. I don't remember where, and it's irrevelant anyway, based on what happened to Henry Grimes.

Nasar Abadey, a drummer in DC, is related to Frank Dunlop (nephew?), and a year or two ago, told me that Frank was still iving but quite ill and unable to play.

I will ask Nasar again next time I see him.

Bertrand.

• 4 months later...

I received an inquiry about Eddie Khan today from a former bandmate of EK's in the 173rd Army Band.

I asked around and was told that Khan died (1970s?) in San Francisco (I believe he was from there originally).

After leaving music he had worked successfully as a TV cameraman for CBS television.

For the record, the dreaded allmusic site is wrong to list 1967 for Kahn's participation on the Blackjack CD. He is present only on the May 20, 1963 session. A session that the Lord discography doesn't even include. First recorded appearance is October 1958 Monterey Jazz Festival with Billie Holiday which was later issued by Black Hawk.

Last entries for Khan in my files are May and June 1965 gigs at the Left Bank Jazz Society, first with Art Taylor, second with Clifford Jordan.

Mike

• 10 months later...

FWIW, here's a 1969 sighting of Eddie Khan from db 4/3/69 p.40:

"Two recent emigres from the East Coast, drummer Billy Higgins and bassist Eddie Khan, have found themselves a comfortable niche in the Harold Land-Bobby Hutcherson Quintet. The quintet was recently featured at Shelly's Manne-Hole and rounding out the combo was pianist Joe Sample."

but it didn't last long because here is from db 4/17/69 p.40:

"Another recent emigre: Larry Gales, former Thelonious Monk bassist (replaced by Walter Booker). One of his first gigs was with the Harold Land-Bobby Hutcherson Quintet, along with Joe Sample, piano, and Billy Higgins, drums. The rhythm section changes as frequently as the name of the front line. For the past six weeks, Hutcherson has been "leader" on a special gig. The musicians have small parts (some speaking, some playing) in the Warner Bros.-Seven Arts film They Shoot Horses, Don't They? Others in the production include Teddy Edwards, Joe Harris, Teddy Buckner, Ike Isaacs, Ronnell Bright, Hadley Caliman, Lester Robertson, Thurman Green and Hugh Bell. The film deals with the dance marathons of the Depression era."

Mike

Mike

Frankie Dunlop didn't disappear after the 1960s. He was in the Lionel Hampton band in the late 1970s and was performing and recording into the 1980s but is now dead. I've never been able to get a firm date, though.

I'll see if I can find some more on Eddie Khan. The Social Security Death Index shows only *one* E. Khan but it's not him - born 1952.

Mike

frankie dunlop is not dead as of last year anyway. he's in a facility in new jersey.

unfortunately, eddie khan is definitely gone. can't remember exactly when though. i knew him in the 60s when he was playing in new york. he was warm, funny and, as you know, very talented. he did die from lung cancer. drummer, dick berk, was a very good friend of his and saw him while he was very ill.