Newb: what's the deal with Mosaic?

Pardon this extreme newbie question:

I've been listening to and collecting jazz for a couple of years now and coming to this forum is the first I've seen about these Mosaic sets, so no, I don't have any.

I visited their website and they don't have much info. In general, I don't like box sets. Many of them are too academic- track order is chronological, lots of talking or alternate takes or whatever- I just like to listen to the albums. Also, packaging can be unwieldy and space consuming (I toss out jewel cases of CDs and store them in binders, obviously couldn't do that with a box set). Not to mention that cost. (Those Mosaics are like a hundred bucks!)

I don't even have the fancy Miles sets from Columbia- and I'm a huge Miles fanatic. I just got all the albums.

I do have a few box sets, of course: Coltrane- European concerts, Coltrane- complete Vanguard, Miles- complete Plugged Nickel, Corea- Origin at Blue Note, Miles- complete Montreaux, and a bunch of rock stuff. Those are cool because you don't get most of that music anywhere else, especially live stuff.

How do these Mosaics sound? Do they re-package music that is available elsewhere, re-releasing old albums, or is it all previously unavailable material?

The Mosaic site lists a Django set as their next release. That's an artist I've always wanted to get into. Would this be a good way to start?

I may come to regret asking about this because my music budget is already stretched between jazz, classical, rock, and SACD. Eep.

Welcome to the group! I think this is the best jazz discussion site on the web, and I hope you enjoy it.

There are a lot of Mosaic fans on this site, so you are bound to hear a lot of reasons for liking them. Here are some of mine.

I've bought quite a few Mosaics, and what keeps me coming back is the attention they pay to details and quality that all too often don't get paid attention to in the music biz today. Sound quality is a biggie for me, and Mosaic does a superb job in this department. They go back to original masters and really pay attention to how they are transferred to either their LP or CD re-issues. There have been exceptions, which have been debated in this forum (most recently on some of the Stanley Turrentine remastering, which I don't have and can't comment on). But for the most part, they are outstanding.

Add to the sound quality the fact that a lot of the items they put out are not readily available elsewhere. Either they are out-of-print as CD issues, or more likely they never made it to CD in the first place. So, unless you can find good-condition old LPs (and you have a turntable), you are hard-pressed to find this stuff. For example, the J.J. Johnson set covers some excellent albums he did for Columbia that for the longest time were not available at all as stand-alone albums on CD, and the sessions were only represented on the Columbia CD "Trombone Master," which functioned as a kind-of "greatest hits" album of the period. I don't know if any of the individual albums are available today on CD or not (I suspect the answer is still "no"), and if they are how they are mastered etc.

I also really appreciate the effort they put into their booklets that come with the sets. They do a superb job covering the sessions, providing background on the artists, and putting the music into context. Much more than you ever get in a standard CD issue or even a typical boxed set.

They also provide all the alternative takes. This used to seem less of a selling point for me, but the more I listen the more I end up appreciating the completeness of these sets. Some have more alternate takes than others, however, so if that's not your bag, be sure to check the track listings.

They also have absolutely first-rate customer service. They really do a great job there.

It's true that these boxes are not cheap. But this is an instance where you get what you pay for.

Hope this helps.

The sound quality thing is important to me, especially if I'm paying that kind of money. I'm glad to hear they use the right tapes and care about that stuff.

I started discussing the alternate take issue on my other thread about the Parker sets. I do prefer them seperately, especially if it's an album. I definitely like to have the album together.

JJ Johnson, eh? Interesting. I don't have any of his work as leader.

You need to get yourself a catalog straight away. They will be happy to send you many. That way you can relax and do your business while you find out more about theirs'.

As for the box issue, all have come in the classic big foot square since the beginning and you can still pull out all the discs, bind them up and stash away the cases.

At $16.00 a piece... they certainly are competitive with other labels who's lists these days rise to $18 +.

I think collectively if you take an example of say the "50's Mobley Sessions" you end up getting NINE albums worth of somewhat un-available music for less than a C-note. Plus you get a perfectly done booklet that you may peruse ad nauseum, or while sitting. ;)

I don't like box sets. Many of them are too academic- track order is chronological, lots of talking or alternate takes or whatever- I just like to listen to the albums. Also, packaging can be unwieldy and space consuming (I toss out jewel cases of CDs and store them in binders, obviously couldn't do that with a box set). Not to mention that cost. (Those Mosaics are like a hundred bucks!)

All that is posted above applies, but if you really feel the way your quote implies, Mosaic sets may not be for you. The big box sets tend to be aimed at the collector who wants completeness of a particular artist over a set period or relationship with a particular record label.

The sets are not always chronologically arranged, but the deviation from the practice is rare.

Perhaps one of the Select sets, which stick closer to offering original albums might be a good starting point for you to get afeel for the Mosaic presentation.

As for the Django.. thats a lot of Django for a starting point.

I would suggest you first buy a 1 or 2 disc set first to get a feel for what the music is like.. from your list above you obviously are more inclined to more modern forms of the music and 6 CD's featuring the Quintet of the Hot Club of France might be more than you need at this point in time

While at the web site, I requested a catalog. Hopefully it will have more detailed info.

A cursory glance around the forums bring my attention to Hank Mobley and JJ Johnson sets, as well as an upcoming Tyner set. I'll look at these closely. If I were to get one, these look like good candidates right now.

Take 5,

don't listen to these guys. They're dangerous. They're gonna make you want to spend lots of money.

In fact, becoming a regular on this board is dangerous.

Beware! :g

Unless you have a lot of dough, of course.

Cheers!

He's right.

Mosaics can become a terrible addiction. Trust me. :ph34r::lol::P

We are like pushers around here. :lol:

Take 5,

don't listen to these guys. They're dangerous. They're gonna make you want to spend lots of money.

In fact, becoming a regular on this board is dangerous.

Beware! :g

Unless you have a lot of dough, of course.

Cheers!

Last time I googled it, it took me to a different home page or something and I only found the Django discography. Now I found the whole thing. Weird.

I'm now reading the details of the Mobley and Jones sets and... yeah, I want them.

Damnit. My music budget is already stretched... :angry:

Mosaic creates very nice box sets. The good-quality sound, the large booklet, the nice pictures, the detailed documentation, and the MUSIC. Music that is, generally, not available from other sources.

When I received my first couple of Mosaics, I knew they were very nice, even exquisite. I liked having the Mosaic boxes and played them from time to time, but not near as often as I'd have thought. Having so much music, the Mosaic boxes seemed overwhelming.

Over the years, I've found that my Mosaics have become more and more indispensable to me. I've learned that, for me, there is no point in trying to listen to the entire box just because I 'have' it. You can listen to only so much music at the same time. One of the ways I will enjoy/consume a Mosaic box is that I will investigate the original albums via a site such as www.allmusic.com. I will then program my CD player to play only the given album along with anything else Cuscuna/Mosaic document as being applicable to the original session. With that session enjoyed, I might play it again, move to another session, or place the Mosaic box back on the shelf.

Often, I'm surprised and quite pleased when I'm doing some jazz research, jazz reading, or jazz learning, and I find a listed album/session where the author will write something like, "This is a fantastic session. Unfortunately, it hasn't been available for years. Good luck at finding it in the used record bins. Make sure to pick it up if you do." I'll get a wicked little smile on my face as I pull a given Mosaic box from my shelf, scan the discography, and discover that Mosaic has included, in the box, the hard-to-find session.

You just can't lose with a Mosaic box. If you don't like it, you can send it back to Mosaic.

You just can't lose with a Mosaic box. If you don't like it, you can send it back to Mosaic.

or sell it to someone on the board..... or ebay. There's no way to get stuck with a Mosaic!

Errr... except for that Four Freshmen box (and, possibly, the Duke Pearson Select). :P

Take 5,

Watch out for Wesbed. I think he's a shill for Mosaic. If they paid him a commission for the sets he's helped to sell, he'd be loaded.

Don't forget that fekking DrJ. He made me purchase TWO Mosaics that I was not going to purchase. B)

Edited by wesbed

Take 5,

Watch out for Wesbed. I think he's a shill for Mosaic. If they paid him a commission for the sets he's helped to sell, he'd be loaded.

Don't forget that fekking DrJ. He made me purchase TWO Mosaics the I was not going to purchase. B)

and then you talked ME into getting those sets... :lol::lol::lol:

Just kiddin' - Thank you Wes and Dr. J! I love my sets! :wub:

Now that I've bought two Mosaic sets, I am even more disappointed to read about the sets I missed out on--and it takes every fiber of my being to keep me from maxing out my credit cards to buy more of the available sets.

Don´t believe any of the guys posting above...

MOSAIC SETS ARE DA SHIT

:D

If you´d become a Mosaic-addict, prepare yourself to spend tons of dollars purchasing sets and sets from their website...

If you´d become a Mosaic-superaddict, prepare yourself to have a second mortgage trying to collect OOP sets from members of this board or on e-bay...

This will ruin your budget... and even could ruin your marriage (in case you have a wife)... B)

So, don´t believe them. AVOID MOSAIC SETS!!!!!!!!!

PS: now I´ll go and listen to my last two purchases, the Morgan/Shorte Vee Jays and the HRS sets... then I´ll head for disc 3 of the OOP Sam Rivers set I recently purchased from a member of this board.