Hard Bossa ?

Jim R

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

This music was massive 15 years ago in london during the early years of Gilles Peterson, i remember paying £300 for Samblanca Trio, all brazillian stuff was really expensive, but used to always swing the jazz nights, excellent, especially Elis Regina, and Flora Purim, paul london

I don't think the LPs are any cheaper now, but the CDs sure make it so people without the deep pockets can check it out too. But those covers are so tough I'd love to have 12" versions!

DGA is probably going to get an order from me soon - some of this stuff I've really been meaning to check out. Trio Camara is very good - Nelson Serra de Castro is a a hell of a drummer.

And don't forget that The Bossa Tres recorded with Lasha, Simmons and Cliff Jordan for Audio-Fidelity in the early '60s: Jazz Tempo, Latin Accents.

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this has been mentioned above, but emusic has a handful of Baden Powell albums for download, including Seresta Brasileira. Also a place called calabash has four of his more recent albums. Calabash

I'm looking for a place with working samples of the earlier material to see if I am ready to spring for the box set. I may have to hold off for a while.

Eric

Not sure if this has been mentioned above, but emusic has a handful of Baden Powell albums for download, including Seresta Brasileira.  Also a place called calabash has four of his more recent albums.  Calabash

I'm looking for a place with working samples of the earlier material to see if I am ready to spring for the box set.  I may have to hold off for a while.

Eric

Ask and you shall receive. This site has samples of every track apparently. DVD Brazil

The samples are short of course, but it should be enough to allow me to make up my mind.

It does sound like great stuff, but I'll probably still have to put it on a wish list rather than ordering it today.

Eric

• 1 month later...

Several of the CDs mentioned above by Edison Machado and Paolo Moura can be bought directly from www.whatmusic.com. Whatmusic Sometimes it is cheaper than Amazon, sometimes not. For instance, Obras 2 by Edison Machado is available for 4 pounds (and 1 pound VAT), and I paid closer to 8 on Amazon. The search function doesn't work on this site, so you have to keep looking through the Brazillian CDs page by page. Otherwise it is a nice site.

Unfortunately, they note that Obras 1 by Edison Machado is sold out in CD but still available in vinyl. Almost all the retailers that claim to have this available, in turn are trying to order it from Whatmusic, meaning that orders are cancelled. Does anyone have any leads on a store or on-line source that actually has this CD in stock? Thanks.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

The bastards at Dusty Groove are selling an interesting series called "Pure Bossa Nova" They are calling it analagous to the "Jazz in Paris" series. Many of the artist are new to me. They are priced at $14.99.

Any thoughts?

Here is a listing of the titles:

Lucio Alves -- Pure Bossa Nova -- A View On The Music Of Lucio Alves

Antonio Carlos Jobim & Others -- Pure Bossa Nova -- A View On The Music Of Antonio Carlos Jobim

Nara Leao -- Pure Bossa Nova -- A View On The Music Of Nara Leao .

Carlos Lyra & Others -- Pure Bossa Nova -- A View On The Music Of Carlos Lyra

Sergio Mendes -- Pure Bossa Nova

Roberto Menescal & Others -- Pure Bossa Nova -- A View On The Music Of Roberto Menescal

Vinicius De Moraes & Others -- Pure Bossa Nova -- A View On The Music Of Vinicius De Moraes

Os Cariocas -- Pure Bossa Nova

Tamba Trio -- Pure Bossa Nova -- A View On The Music Of Tamba Trio

Sylvia Telles -- Pure Bossa Nova -- A View On The Music Of Sylvia Telles

Walter Wanderley -- Pure Bossa Nova -- A View On The Music Of Walter Wanderly

Various -- Pure Bossa Nova -- The Best Of Bossa -- A View On The Standards

Alec, I'm not familiar with this series, and I tend to stay away from compilations like these. But that's just me.

The artists are all major names in Bossa Nova. If you don't get enough info from Dusty Groove's descriptions, there are plenty of online sources of information about the artists and reviews of their work. Some basic info:

Lucio Alves -- Male vocalist; began in the pre-Bossa era; not essential, IMO.

Antonio Carlos Jobim -- :cool:

Nara Leao -- Female vocalist; an important part of the early BN scene.

Carlos Lyra & Others -- Vocalist/guitarist/composer; wrote some of the early classic tunes

Sergio Mendes -- Well-known pianist/Bossa Nova & pop artist.

Roberto Menescal & Others -- Guitarist/composer/producer; wrote some of the early classic tunes; led his own combo.

Vinicius De Moraes & Others -- Diplomat, philosopher, poet, lyricist, and bad singer ;) who collaberated with Jobim on a number of classic songs.

Os Cariocas -- Great male vocal quartet (who also played p,g,b,d); employed advanced rhythms and harmonies; participated in the legendary first public performance pairing Jobim and Joao Gilberto.

Tamba Trio -- One of the great piano trios (with vocals); read this thread. :)

Sylvia Telles -- Vocalist who was very popular in the early years of Bossa; career cut short by a fatal auto accident.

Walter Wanderley -- Organist; had hits in US; kind of on the kitschy side, but fun.

i got a few weeks ago the latest release from Moacir Santos on Biscoito Fino "Choros & Alegrias" and it's on the same vein of his previous albums. very good

this week the DVD has been released and it will include some footage from the recording sessions of the Ouro Negro album. the DVD is a live performance paying tribute to his musical legacy

Marcus

• 3 weeks later...

The Sabadabada site has been updated in the last week and currently has a Wilson Simonal album for download. Catch it before it disappears!

The Mario Telles album is worth a listen, too (arranged by the legendary Moacir Santos) and the Rosa Maria is very nice too... not 'hard' maybe very cool. :cool:

http://www.sabadabada.com/music.htm

• 1 month later...

I didn't move fast enough on the 13-CD Baden Powell box a few months back and the discounted ones available through Caiman have all disappeared. However, one appeared on Ebay recently and I put in a bid. Despite getting sniped, the seller actually had two and I got one of those Second Chance opportunities at a decent price. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing this.

It also worth mentioning that another Meirelles CD appears to have been issued (or re-issued) recently: Esquema Novo. There's also one called Tropical but that seems a bit harder to come by.

• 2 weeks later...

there is a new collection under the name of "Som Live Masters" available here. Som Livre Records holds the rights for Som Livre, RGE & Som Maior catalogues. Charles Gavin is of course the producer

25 titles are scheduled so far:

Zimbo Trio + Metais — “Decisão” (Som Livre)

Os Brazões (Som Livre)

“Sítio do Picapau Amarelo” — Diversos (Som Livre)

Rosinha de Valença (Som Livre)

Gerson Conrad e Zezé Motta (Som Livre)

Sansa Trio (Som Livre)

Sambrasa Trio — “Em som maior” (Som Livre)

Osmar Milito — “... e deixa o relógio andar!” (Som Livre)

Bossa Jazz Trio (Som Livre)

Alceu Valença — “Molhado de suor” (Som Livre)

Manfredo e seu Conjunto — “Bossa nova nova bossa” (Som Livre)

Vincius, Marília Medalha e Toquinho — “Como dizia o poeta” (Som Livre)

Marcos Valle — “Vontade de rever você” (Som Livre)

Brazilian Octopus (Som Livre)

Novos Baianos — “Vamos pro mundo” (Som Livre)

“Vila Sésamo” (Som Livre)

Tom Zé — “Nave Maria” (Som Livre)

A Voz do Morro — “Os sambistas” (Som Livre)

Sambalanço — “Reencontro com Sambalanço Trio” (Som Livre)

Quarteto Bossamba (Som Livre)

Don Junior — “Seu conjunto e seu sax maravilhoso/Sambas” (Som Livre)

Sidney Miller — “Línguas de fogo” (Som Livre)

Sambossa — “5” (Som Livre)

Tim Maia (Som Livre)

Som 3 (Som Livre)

some of them are on the same vein as other albums mentioned on this particular thread but there is brazilian music for all tastes on this list

Marcus Oliveira

Edited by marcoliv

anyone can tell me which albums from Os Cariocas are available on CD? japanese releases maybe? Lon, Jim? :D

thanks a lot

Marcus

Marcus,

Sorry I missed your post. I can't tell you what's still available, but here are the Os Cariocas titles that have come out on CD (except for compilations, of which there have been several).

Os Cariocas- 1963- A Bossa Dos Cariocas / Mais Bossa Com- Philips (Japan)

("A Bossa Dos Cariocas" has also been released on CD by itself)

Os Cariocas- 1989, 1990- A Minha Namorada- Som Livre

Os Cariocas- 1991- Reconquistar- WEA (Warner)

Os Cariocas- 1997- A Bossa Brasileira- Albatroz

(There's also one newer one, which I don't have... don't really like the new group as much as the old one)

Not on CD, as far as I know:

Os Cariocas- 1964- A Grande Bossa Dos Cariocas- Philips*

(*this was reported to have been released on CD in Japan, but I've never found any evidence of that)

Os Cariocas- 1965- Introducing Os Cariocas- Philips (US)

Os Cariocas- 1966- Arte / Vozes- Philips

======

I'm glad you listed the new releases from Som Livre. I've been waiting for some of those for YEARS! I already ordered about 8 of them.

Edited by Jim R

there is a new collection under the name of "Som Live Masters" available here. Som Livre Records holds the rights for Som Livre, RGE & Som Maior catalogues. Charles Gavin is of course the producer

25 titles are scheduled so far:

Zimbo Trio + Metais — “Decisão” (Som Livre)

Os Brazões (Som Livre)

“Sítio do Picapau Amarelo” — Diversos (Som Livre)

Rosinha de Valença (Som Livre)

Gerson Conrad e Zezé Motta (Som Livre)

Sansa Trio (Som Livre)

Sambrasa Trio — “Em som maior” (Som Livre)

Osmar Milito — “... e deixa o relógio andar!” (Som Livre)

Bossa Jazz Trio (Som Livre)

Alceu Valença — “Molhado de suor” (Som Livre)

Manfredo e seu Conjunto — “Bossa nova nova bossa” (Som Livre)

Vincius, Marília Medalha e Toquinho — “Como dizia o poeta” (Som Livre)

Marcos Valle — “Vontade de rever você” (Som Livre)

Brazilian Octopus (Som Livre)

Novos Baianos — “Vamos pro mundo” (Som Livre)

“Vila Sésamo” (Som Livre)

Tom Zé — “Nave Maria” (Som Livre)

A Voz do Morro — “Os sambistas” (Som Livre)

Sambalanço — “Reencontro com Sambalanço Trio” (Som Livre)

Quarteto Bossamba (Som Livre)

Don Junior — “Seu conjunto e seu sax maravilhoso/Sambas” (Som Livre)

Sidney Miller — “Línguas de fogo” (Som Livre)

Sambossa — “5” (Som Livre)

Tim Maia (Som Livre)

Som 3 (Som Livre)

some of them are on the same vein as other albums mentioned on this particular thread but there is brazilian music for all tastes on this list

Marcus Oliveira

Marcus, these are at Dusty Groove now as I saw more than a few on the opening page.

"Brazilian Octopus" caught my eye for title and cover shot.

brazilianoc_brazilian_101b.jpg

that Walter Wanderly also sounded good.