RUSH

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's late,can't be bothered to search,am slumbering in "La Villa Strangiato".May I be so bold as to suggest..nice trio!

I was really into Rush back in high school and freshman year of college. Looking back (and it wasn't such a long time ago), a lot of that stuff is still fun to listen to. The lyrics which once seemed so intelligent are kind of ridiculous, but there are still plenty of great songs in that catalogue. Moving Pictures is just a great frickin album, not matter what the critics say. (In fact, it was one of the first CDs in my collection.)

Two of my favorite Rush albums are the frequently overlooked Grace Under Pressure and Presto.

Guy

No, Rush is not bad.

What's bad is constantly talking about them. It's not necessary. I think we got it by now: "Rush is good. Rush is great. They can play. They changed everyone's life. Without them, the world wouldn't be the same. The drums are just AWE-some. They're old, but not as old as these other rock'n'roll geezers ... and they can still play. Wow. Great. Fantastic."

Let's move on.

"Rush is good. Rush is great. They can play. They changed everyone's life. Without them, the world wouldn't be the same. The drums are just AWE-some. They're old, but not as old as these other rock'n'roll geezers ... and they can still play. Wow. Great. Fantastic."

:huh: Wouldn't quite go that far...just came across an old tape from way back,25 years ago they were "awesome" in my early teens...then I moved on!Nice to see they can still stir strong emotions in some...

Nice to see they can still stir strong emotions in some...

Nice also to have found something to annoy deus with! ;)

A Farewell to Kings has some fun tunes.

A few years back I had a downstairs neighbor who was a hardcore blues fan from Canada. Anyway, we had several lengthy discussions about music and at some point we got to talking about Rush. He, too, was in to them as a teen / young adult but grew out of them a few years later. We agree that some of their stuff is still pretty good, and he says, "That main riff from 'Xanadu', woaaaaaaaaah."

Double Woaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

There's also that sweeet section in the song "A Farewell to Kings".

Guy

That Neil Peart set ... a thousand drums, and then some.

Wow, man. He must be good. The more drums you have on stage, the better.

Just imagine, putting Terry Bozzio's and Peart's set together.

Wow, I mean, simply wow. Literally thousands of cans to beat around on. Orgiastic, to say the least.

Cheers!

P.S.: "Honda gives more head."

Yes, but the difference between Peart having a huge drum set and say someone like...Alex Van Halen...is that Peart actually knows how to play the damn thing and he uses the entire kit quite effectively.

Yes, I'm a Rush fan...have been for years. There have been long stretches in my life where I didn't listen to them, but I always end up getting in a "Rush mood" and then playing them constantly. I think their new Rush In Rio is the best thing they've ever done...marvelous to hear a bunch of "old geezers" playing with that much fire and finesse.

Of course some of the lyrics are ridiculous and some of the experimentation falls flat but as a whole they've had a very respectable career and I don't think they come anywhere close to "Spinal Tap" territory. Maybe if we were talking about Ronnie James Dio or Nazareth that would apply...

Don't annoy us further! :P

I'm pretty sure we've had such a thread... I remember some previous discussion. Saw 'em on the MOVING PICTURES tour when I was 15 and stoned out of my gourd. My freshman year in high school "Spirit of Radio" seemed to be on the local album-rock FM station every morning when I woke up. Didn't follow them much after SIGNALS, but still retain a fondness for that 1976-82 period of their work.

Edited by ghost of miles

Guest ariceffron

RUSH IS THE WORST ROCK OUTFIT EVER. IM NOT SAYING NEIL PEART IS A BAD DRUMMER-- HE IS INDEED GOOD, BUT RUSH NEVERTHELESS SUCKS. RUSH IS NOTHING MORE THAN THE "POOR MANS" YES. BESIDES, THEY ARE CANADIAN. AND EVERYONE KNOWS THE ONLY GOOD CANADIAN ROCK GROUP IS THE GUESS WHO. I NEVER UNDERSTOOD WHY SO MANY PEOPLE DIG RUSH. EVEN IN THE 70S PEOPLE MADE FUN OF RUSH.

I love the "poor man's" label. If you can afford to buy an album by Rush, you can surely afford one by Yes. And anyway, Rush wasn't the poor man's Yes, they were the thinking man's metal band. :rsmile:

Triumph was indeed many times worse than Rush. Much more of a Spinal Tap flair. Lame rhythm section. Rick Emmett had a penchant for writing songs about music itself, for some reason.

Never cared for the Guess Who. The poor man's The Who, if you ask me. Which you didn't.

:g