Question about OOP Mosaics

Firstly, I don't post often, but when I do, they come in flurries, so I apologize for clogging the board.

My question:

I'm a big fan of West Coast jazz. The following are out of print, but I have a mind to pick them up if the price is somewhat reasonable. Would it be worth it to pick these up?

The Pacific Jazz Bud Shank Studio Sessions

The Pacific Jazz Recordings of Chico Hamilton

The Complete Capitol and Atlantic Recordings of Jimmy Guiffre

The Complete Pacific Jazz Studio Recordings of Chet Baker

The Complete Pacific Jazz Live Recordings of Chet Baker

Thanks

Firstly, I don't post often, but when I do, they come in flurries, so I apologize for clogging the board.

My question:

I'm a big fan of West Coast jazz. The following are out of print, but I have a mind to pick them up if the price is somewhat reasonable. Would it be worth it to pick these up?

Thanks

Wow, that's a tough one, Musical Marine. I know you're an MJQ fan, which tempts me to endorse the Hamilton set for you--others can explain it in more clearly technical terms than I can, but they were exploring some similar avenues in the 1950s. I like the Shank a lot, though you will probably encounter mixed opinions around here; the Giuffre is excellent. Never had the Baker sets, but I think much of what constituted the Baker Live box has been issued on individual CDs.

Do you have a non-Mosaic set--the Complete Nocturne Recordings? It's a 3-CD set of West Coast musicians recorded in the mid-1950s--Cadence carries it, and Dusty Groove, too, I believe.

Ever read Ted Gioia's WEST COAST JAZZ book?

Can you tell yet that I like West Coast too? :D

Here's some earlier board discussion about the Nocturne set:

Nocturne

I'd say for a West Coast jazz fan the Gioia is essential. (Others may differ--seems awhile back there was some discussion about musicians Gioia left out or didn't pay enough attention to, but overall it's a great read. And hell, he even managed to interviewe Dodo Marmarosa, who was part of the late-40's LA bop scene, for it!) It's still in print in paperback, and you could probably find it used (paper or hardback) pretty easily on Amazon or some other online source, if your local stores don't have it.

Thanks

Absolutely. Every one of them, I would say.

• 2 years later...

My question:

Thanks

The Chico Hamilton set is one of the worst and most disappointing things I've ever heard in my entire life. If you ever come across one, you should absolutely not waste your money. Contact me so that I can make sure it is disposed of properly.

My question:

Thanks

The Chico Hamilton set is one of the worst and most disappointing things I've ever heard in my entire life. If you ever come across one, you should absolutely not waste your money. Contact me so that I can make sure it is disposed of properly.

And I'm of the opposite opinion. This is one of my all time favorite Mosaic sets.

Stefan, I can assure you that you are sadly mistaken. I am willing to send you six new cds of your choice in exchange for the Chico Hamilton set. You will thank me.

And the booklet is even worse, right?

:lol:

Edited by J.A.W.

Is the material from the Baker/Mulligan studio Mosaic available in another format?

There was a great four cd set out on Blue Note, now out of print a handful of years, that reissued that material. Had great photos and text!

Also there was a two cd Connoisseur that reissued a chunk as well.

You know less about jazz in general and Chico in particular after you've read the booklet than before.

You're forgetting all those horrid photos...

OK you convinced me. Mine went in the trash. Giuffre and Shank to follow. Chet who?

Seriously, of all those, I wouldn't bend over too far backwards for the Shank. There are two actually good albums on it, and the last two disks worth are not good at all. That said, I get it out quite often just to make sure of my opinion. :blush: The Chet Baker is mostly track-downable without splurging on an ebay box.

Edited by David Ayers

Is the material from the Baker/Mulligan studio Mosaic available in another format?

There was a great four cd set out on Blue Note, now out of print a handful of years, that reissued that material. Had great photos and text!

Also there was a two cd Connoisseur that reissued a chunk as well.

I've seen that one for big bucks online - I'd just as soon splurge for the Mosaic if that were the other option.

Is this set equivalent, or is it more of a best of:

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3997888

?

Thanks.