Jimmy Raney

Jim R

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks to this thread I finally jumped ahead, put the two "Raney visits Paris" into my shopping cart, some unknown higher power filled in the rest of the details, and now I just got the shipping confirmation :o (and I'm still actually trying to make believe I'm in a buying freeze...)

ubu :w

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to this thread I finally jumped ahead, put the two "Raney visits Paris" into my shopping cart, some unknown higher power filled in the rest of the details, and now I just got the shipping confirmation :o (and I'm still actually trying to make believe I'm in a buying freeze...)

ubu :w

Listening to Raney visits Paris Vol 1 right now - marvellous playing by both Raney and Sonny Clark. Thanks for killing my bank account and making me hear this wonderful music!

ubu ;)

For those enjoying multi-guitar sets, "A Tribute to Wes Montgomery" by Project G-5, initiated and produced by guitarist Royce Campbell, might be of interest. Raney plays two tracks alone and two with Campbell with the rhythm section of Melvin Rhyne and John Von Ohlen - one of the rare opportunities to hear Raney with an organ! (Evidence ECD 22101-2).

B0000014LG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Nice to see Jimmy getting some props here. One of my greatest pleasures during the years I did a jazz radio program was giving air-time to undersung players like Raney. Since the station had very few of his recordings, I began to collect them as I could.

• 9 months later...

Any particular fans of this one?

raney_jimmy_jimmyrane_101b.jpg

I only have three albums with Raney as a leader (or co-leader):

• Two Guitars (OJC)

• A (OJC)

• In Paris with Sonny Clark (Vogue-Japan)

Beautiful cover! But I wonder, is that disc/album including music that was also on the two Vogue CDs? Same question for the Xanadu! (I have seen a Lucky Thompson Prevue CD - reissue of a Xanadu album, I think, "Brown Rose" - that had the same music as one of the Original Vogue Masters Lucky T. discs. Confusing!

I only bought Vol. 1 of the Vogue CD issues (just to avoid any confusion, mine is a BMG issue, not Japanese). As I recall, Vol. 2 contained the Dawn album, which I already had as a Fresh Sounds CD release (with that original yellow cover). Vol. 1 of the Vogue/BMG issues contains most of the "Jimmy Raney & Sonny Clark / Together!" (Xanadu), and has a couple of alt takes (the Xanadu CD has two other tracks from a quintet session from January 1954- "jumping for jane", and "invention"- which are not included on the Vogue CD). Yes... it is confusing. :wacko:<_<

251.jpg

Tiny reproduction (above), but this is the Japanese pressing I have — tasty album! The Dawn issue (yellow cover) has Bobby Jaspar on board, so I will probably have to (eventually) plunk down for that one.

For some reason, Raney is one guitarist I can return to with frequency and not tire of. A delicate (?) touch, but he holds my interest so much more than, say, Rene Thomas or Barney Kessel (who are both admittedly fine players).

Edited by Late

there is a video that shouldn't be too hard to find

louisville, ky 1985 80min

what's nice about this video is that it's a private recording, the camera is in the front row, right in front of raney. and concentrates almost solely on raney and his guitar. excellent filming/camera angle.

I only bought Vol. 1 of the Vogue CD issues (just to avoid any confusion, mine is a BMG issue, not Japanese). As I recall, Vol. 2 contained the Dawn album, which I already had as a Fresh Sounds CD release (with that original yellow cover). Vol. 1 of the Vogue/BMG issues contains most of the "Jimmy Raney & Sonny Clark / Together!" (Xanadu), and has a couple of alt takes (the Xanadu CD has two other tracks from a quintet session from January 1954- "jumping for jane", and "invention"- which are not included on the Vogue CD). Yes... it is confusing. :wacko:<_<

Thanks for your help, Jim! It IS confusing!

'Jumping For Jane' and 'Invention' were recorded in Stockholm for Metronome a couple of weeks before the Paris Vogue dates and could not be made available to Vogue/BMG.

Glad to have the two Raney Visits Paris BMG reissues along with the Xanadu album. The BMG reissues sound good.

there is a video that shouldn't be too hard to find

louisville, ky 1985 80min

what's nice about this video is that it's a private recording, the camera is in the front row, right in front of raney. and concentrates almost solely on raney and his guitar. excellent filming/camera angle.

That's news to me. There was a quartet performance (supposed to have been 1987) with Raney and Cal Collins with bass and drums, in Louisville, filmed from the front row, but from the side of the room as I recall. Sounds like you're describing something a bit different...

Jimmy Raney-Cal Collins quartet with Tyrone Wheeler (b) and Bruce Morrow (d) at the Actors Theater, Louisville KY, 1987.

1. Just friends

2. Billie's Bounce

3. These foolish things

4. It could happen to you

5. Smoke gets in your eyes (Raney solo)

6. My old flame (Collins solo)

7. Autumn leaves

8. There will never be another you

9. Darn that dream

10. Groovin' high

~110 minutes

Don't know if it's been mentioned here, but Raney is in top form on Ted Brown's 1985 album "In Good Company" (Criss Cross), recently re-released on CD with alternate takes. Fans of Raney's writing should check out his "Sir Felix" here, a dazzling line. Rest of the band is Hod O'Brien, Buster Williams, and Ben Riley. An RVG recording.

I've heard tell -- maybe it was from you, Chuck, based on that Jazz Fest experience -- that Raney and the Tristano-ites (at least some of them, in this case Warne) were oil and water emotionally, despite the seeming likelihood that on musical terms the results might approach Nirvana. If it was an ego clash, I guess that didn't happen with Raney and Ted Brown -- but then S. Chamberlain's Warne bio records on p. 210 a semi-cruel, semi-thoughtless snub (hard to say which, or which would be worse) that Warne once directed at Ted.