Jimmy Raney

Jim R

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 4:13 PM, BillF said:

With Peter Leitch too, Canada has a proud record when it comes to jazz guitarists.

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 5:10 PM, mjzee said:

Also Lorne Lofsky.

....and Ted Quinlan, and Rob Piltch, and David Occhipinti, and Roy Patterson, and, and, and, that's just Toronto!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/7/2008 at 9:12 AM, Cliff Englewood said:

I love the pictures of that ES-150, what a great axe!!!

Been enjoying this one, via the Brookmeyer Select:

Lpmikamitakeshi%20563_1.jpg

And this one, although it's not on the Select, it should have been, it just should:

51J5DYJGMSL._SS500_.jpg

Would love to hear this, as Zoot is in the mix, it would probably be as good as the stuff with Getz:

12stereoLP2%20126.jpg

This one can't be too bad either:

12stereoLP2%20217.jpg

Too Jims and a Zoot is a Must Have!!!

Raney's solo on "Move It" from "Two Jims and Zoot" is one of my favorite solos on any instrument (Raney follows Zoot). His playing in the subsequent two-guitar passage is also lovely. Kudos to Steve Swallow, too -- he really makes "Move It" move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpBMOA_7F4U&list=PL0eFEn_kgjkDo4_DbIzWsNO5n1v3wNwa3&index=7

On 5/7/2016 at 3:31 PM, Larry Kart said:

Raney's solo on "Move It" from "Two Jims and Zoot" is one of my favorite solos on any instrument (Raney follows Zoot). His playing in the subsequent two-guitar passage is also lovely. Kudos to Steve Swallow, too -- he really makes "Move It" move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpBMOA_7F4U&list=PL0eFEn_kgjkDo4_DbIzWsNO5n1v3wNwa3&index=7

Is Raney always in the right channel on this record?

17 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

I'd have to check. To be honest, the only track I listen usually is "Move It."

I like Betaminus, and pretty much all the tunes. The only track that doesn't work for me is Manha de Carnival. It's a bit out-of-tune, and lacks energy and oomph to me. The hook-up between Hall and Raney is telepathic. (Jimmy told me years ago 'actually, Jim Hall is my favorite guitar player')...

• 1 year later...
On 4/30/2009 at 2:39 PM, fasstrack said:

They played that Showboat record and the 5 guitars also included Tony Mottolla I think. The rest would be a guess.

The other guitarists were Billy Bauer, Howard Collins and Thomas Kay, except on the September 24 session, where Bauer was replaced by Allan Hanlon. No Mottola (who did his own guitar choir records for the Command label) on this one.

F

• 6 years later...

Jimmy Raney is one of my favourite guitar players. 

But he must have had a hard time in his later years since I read that he was almost deaf. Such a terrible blow for a musician. 

I think I read about a later studio record he made for Timeless records at the famous Max Bolleman Studio in Netherlands. 

His son Doug was also a fantastic player but he didn´t live long enough. 

16 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Jimmy Raney is one of my favourite guitar players. 

But he must have had a hard time in his later years since I read that he was almost deaf. Such a terrible blow for a musician. 

I think I read about a later studio record he made for Timeless records at the famous Max Bolleman Studio in Netherlands. 

His son Doug was also a fantastic player but he didn´t live long enough. 

He also had a severe problem with alcohol. I was working with the Austrian vibes player Vera Auer-Bouchet at a club once, and on the breaks she'd tell me how he was "climbing the walls" trying to go cold turkey from alcohol. She was amazed that even though he was so out of it, he sounded as great as he always did.

I've still yet to hear a better guitarist play live.

Oh, alcool is a devil. 

When I was young I also drank my beers since this was the times, you did it because all other "bad boys" did it. Now I don´t touch it and never again hat had aches in the morning or blurred feeling. 

I have heard about Austrian vibes player Vera Auer, but it seems she was not much on the Austrian scene at least when I became involved with it. 

But Jimmy Raney at least looked fine until the end. An old man sure, but that´s normal.

But I was shocked when I saw a later photo of Doug Raney, his son. He looked like Chet Baker in his last year, terrible. Was he also such a heavy drinker ? 

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I have heard about Austrian vibes player Vera Auer, but it seems she was not much on the Austrian scene at least when I became involved with it. 

Well, unsurprisingly so - according to her biography Vera Auer (unrelated to pianist-vibist Pepsi Auer, BTW) married an American and emigrated to the USA in 1960. And even her "Austrian period" seems to have ended early - according to Wikipedia she played mostly in West Germany from 1954 onwards "due to the bad economical climate for jazz musicians in Austria at the time". And yes - she certainly figured in the media coverage of the German jazz scene back then.

22 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Oh, alcool is a devil. 

When I was young I also drank my beers since this was the times, you did it because all other "bad boys" did it. Now I don´t touch it and never again hat had aches in the morning or blurred feeling. 

But Jimmy Raney at least looked fine until the end. An old man sure, but that´s normal.

But I was shocked when I saw a later photo of Doug Raney, his son. He looked like Chet Baker in his last year, terrible. Was he also such a heavy drinker ? 

Doug was a great jazz guitarist like his father, but he was a long time junkie. That's why he looked like Chet.

1 minute ago, sgcim said:

Doug was a great jazz guitarist like his father, but he was a long time junkie. That's why he looked like Chet.

It´s strange that if you look at three white mega junkies (Chet, Art Pepper, Doug Raney) it´s so evident that something´s wrong with them, it´s that insane look, those sick eyes and somehow almost lookin like a homeless. 

While other live long junkies (Joe Henderson, Woody Shaw) didn´t look like junkies. Maybe there takeins was more in a controlled manner. I mean I met both Joe and Woody and the were very articulate, classy gentlemen......

33 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

It´s strange that if you look at three white mega junkies (Chet, Art Pepper, Doug Raney) it´s so evident that something´s wrong with them, it´s that insane look, those sick eyes and somehow almost lookin like a homeless. 

While other live long junkies (Joe Henderson, Woody Shaw) didn´t look like junkies. Maybe there takeins was more in a controlled manner. I mean I met both Joe and Woody and the were very articulate, classy gentlemen......

Yeah, Doug was homeless for a while.