Wessel "Warmdaddy" Anderson

sal

Not that this happens very often, but once in a while I hear some music so incredible, its hard to believe, and right afterwards I found out that either almost nobody has either heard of the artist or that he is so underrated that his name hardly ever arises in discussion. Such is the case with Wessel Anderson. I'd never heard of the guy, nor heard any discussion about him. After hearing his album "Live at the Village Vanguard", however, I don't understand why.

This is one of the best post-1990 jazz albums I've ever heard...period. This guy is a HELL of a player....definitely one of the best altos alive today. EVERY solo he takes on this disc is beautifuly constructed, melodic, swinging, and very exciting. I'm not trying to make any stylistic comparisons here, but listening to this album reminded me of the first time I listened to a Sonny Rollins album. Song after song, I sat there dumbfounded, wondering how he continues to create such diverse, creative solos time after time again. The ballads are rich and sensual, and when the guy plays the blues......shit, you feel that in your gut. He's a complete player, and an exciting one at that..something you don't find too often. Yet I can't understand why he isn't more well known, especially that he has (or had) a contract.

To anyone that doesn't have his album "Live at the Village Vanguard", I give it my highest possible recommendation.

Any other fans of Wessel Anderson out there? Anybody have any of his albums, or even better, seen him live before? I'd love to hear some perspectives on this amazing jazz musician.

Edited by sal

Sal,

One of my favorite CDs too. Not sure why I bought it in the first place ... I think I really liked the little label it came out on (Leaning House).

I agree 100% - this CD is a burner. It was extremely heavy rotation when it first came out and I still pull it out. It never gets old and there really is a jolt of excitement. This is definitely the shit!!!

I know he's been in with LCJO for a while. He came to MSU when Jim and I were there, and we got to jam with him at the restaurant we were gigging at. Nice guy, very funny, too. Haven't followed him since then, however.

Definitely one of the best players who got their start with Wynton (I'd put Marcus Roberts in the same category, also Wycliffe Gordon). As far as the CD mentioned, I just gave it another listen in my A to Z odyssey, and I agree its killer. Unfortunately, Leaning House went out of business at least a couple of years ago, but I would think this could be found online still.