Willie Pickens?

Alexander Hawkins

I wonder if anyone could tell me anything about Willie Pickens? I heard him in Chicago in Friday - he was depping for Hank Jones at the Symphony Center gig.

Anyway, I really enjoyed his playing, and would love to hear more of it!

Thanks in advance for any information!

Red

p.s. Denis Mackrel, the drummer that night, was also someone unknown to me, but fantastic.

An excellent Pickens trio album from 1987, "It's About Time" (Southport) may still be available. Two bass and drum teams -- Dan Shapera and Robert Shy, and Larry Gray and Wilbur Campbell. Pickens is a stone bebopper at heart, with personal Tynerish extensions. The relation between the internal rhythms of his phrases and the underlying beat used to strike me as bit skittery/slippery at times, like a guy who was running on ice, but either that was stupid on my part or Pickens got all that locked in place many years ago. Also impressive is his daughter Bethany Pickens.

Willie's a great piano player, I've seen him many times. He has several cd's as a leader but I don't have them in front of me to give you the names. He is usually the pianist of choice at the Jazz Showcase along with Larry Gray and Robert Shy; even has a Christmas CD!!! Always a great touch!

He pretty much sticks around Chicago, which is why he isn't better known. I think the only major touring he did was with Elvin.

A couple of other excellent Chigago straight-ahead pianists who stayed home are Jodie Christian & John Young (I saw Young with Von Freeman a couple of years ago when they were both 80).