Budd Johnson

Leeway

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Up for reevaluation.

If Chu can receive the Mosaic treatment, surely Mr. Johnson can as well — some day?

The French Classics disc of Johnson's 1944-1952 work is fairly amazing. One of my favorites from that vast label.

Johnson has two Argo sessions on iTunes right now: French Cooking and Off the Wall. I thought I'd plunk down a simple $1.98 just to get a taste. What one track would you single out from each album as being the "best"?

Up for reevaluation.

If Chu can receive the Mosaic treatment, surely Mr. Johnson can as well — some day?

The French Classics disc of Johnson's 1944-1952 work is fairly amazing. One of my favorites from that vast label.

Johnson has two Argo sessions on iTunes right now: French Cooking and Off the Wall. I thought I'd plunk down a simple $1.98 just to get a taste. What one track would you single out from each album as being the "best"?

From Off the Wall, Ill Wind and Playin' My Hunch are the ones I put on my ipod.

Tom from Jazz Music Depot recently offered some Black & Blue cds here. Two of them were by a quintet of Budd and Charlie Shavers. I recommend both.

Budd is a "monster" on a couple of Gil Evans records.

I heard him in person a number of times. He played the Chicago Jazz Festival at least 3 times when I was involved and was a dream to work with. We had him in a Hines "reunion" big band, backing B B King and working in an all-star group. I will never forget one night relaxing in a lounge with him, Melba Liston and Randy Weston. It was "old home" time for those three.

I deeply regret not taking him up on a couple of invitations to visit his NY (Brooklyn) apartment. Such a sweet man.

I'm too lazy to read through this to see if it has been mentioned, but there exists a very rough but listenable broadcast of DIzzy's small band (maybe 1944?) with Budd Johnson and George Wallington in which one can hear how advanced Budd was -

Edited by AllenLowe

:excl: Budd Johnson & The Four Brass Giants seems to be unavailable from the Concord site: Go get a copy as long as there are some! :excl:

Wow, this slipped away quietly. There's a beautiful 2 part song on this CD--a tribute to Lester Young. Plus, some mighty fine Ray Nance violin on 'Driftwood'. As an added bonus the sound on this CD is very nice. Concord seems to be somewhat silently letting things go oop, not even a heads up. Chuck was prophetic when he insisted a couple of years ago that Concord would never keep their catalog in the same shape as Fantasy. Too true.

Budd Johnson made a very good album for Felsted in 1958 called "Blues A La Mode". It has just been re-issued on CD by Lonehill.

The LP had Budd playing in 2 different settings. Three tunes have Budd with Charlie Shavers, Vic Dickenson, Al Sears, Bert Keyes, Joe Benjamin and Jo Jones. The other three tracks have Budd with Shavers, Ray Bryant, Benjamin and Jo Jones.

The Lonehill CD reissue also includes 4 tracks with Budd, earl Hines, Bill pemberton and Oliver Jackson.

Edited by Peter Friedman

Concord seems to be somewhat silently letting things go oop, not even a heads up. Chuck was prophetic when he insisted a couple of years ago that Concord would never keep their catalog in the same shape as Fantasy. Too true.

I was not as pessimistic, but ..... I do close the gaps in my collection slowly but surely - I ordered Budd Johnson's Let's Swing today, although that one is still in print.

• 4 months later...

Also, if it's not too late, I'd avoid "Ben Webster and Associates." .

I must most respectfully most disgree!

I definitely am with JSngry here. IMHO "Ben Webester and Associates" is a great date, where Budd Johnson outplays Ben and Hawk; swingin' rhythm section too (Les Spann, Ray Brown, Jo Jones)

Budd Johnson is also heard to good advantage on:

"From Boogie to Funk" on Gitanes (from the Jazz in Paris series), a 1960 date led by Bill Coleman with members of the Quincy Jones Big Band, at that time touring Europe with "Free and Easy" (Quentin Jackson, Patti Bown, Buddy Catlett, Joe Harris)

"Swing Time" on Prestige Swingville under the leadership of Claude Hopkins

"Live and Well in Japan!" a live date by an All Star group led by Benny Carter on Pablo with among others Joe Newman, Cat Anderson, Cecil Payne, Nat Pierce, George Duvivier, Harold Jones

"Arvell Shaw and the Swing Legacy All Stars", a 1956 date with Taft Jordan, Vic Dickenson, André Persiany, Gus Johnson (I only have it on lp, the label escapes me at the moment)

"Jazz from a Swinging Era" on Lonehill, these are All Star sessions (1967 live and studio) under the nominal leadership of Buck Clayton

"A Buck Clayton Jam Session" and "A Buck Clayton Jam Session 1975", both on Chiaroscuro

There's some good Budd Johnson on this Earl Hines CD (also featuring Jimmy Rushing and recorded by RVG in the 60s). The rhythm section (bass/drum,not hines) holds this session back a little, imo, but still plenty of good music.

f31391scnc9.jpg

Edited by montg

• 3 years later...

I am just listening to a very satisfying album by Jimmy Maxwell on the Progressive label by the title of "Let's fall in love". This is top notch mainstream jazz, nicely arranged by David Berger. Budd Johnson has some great spots on tenor sax and - in one case - on clarinet. The rest of the personnel apart from Maxwell on trumpet and Johnson are: Dave Berger (tp, arr) Art Baron (tb) Kenny Berger (bars) John Bunch (p) George Duvivier (b) Ronnie Bedford (dms)

• 7 years later...

R-3584363-1461537842-6146.jpeg.jpg

I discovered this thread while searching the internet for a picture of Budd's Off the Wall album, which I'm listening to now. So - Budd Johnson is special to me, because Ya! Ya! was the first jazz record I owned. I was 12 years old, and had taken up the saxophone in November, after moving to a new school. That Christmas, my mom got me this album, chosen from the cutout rack at Treasure Island department store in the Atlanta suburbs - presumably because there was a guy holding a saxophone on the cover.

I was pretty disappointed - she got my older brother a rock record. But I listened, and liked half of the tracks right away. And I blame this, my first jazz album, for my avant-garde-ish bent. On the last track of side one, "Exotique," Richard Davis plays a truly out-there bass solo, all bowed with slides and double-stops and quarter tones. I was too inexperienced a listener to know how strange it was - I just thought, "Oh, you can do that."

And the inner sleeve had tiny reproductions of 72 Argo album covers. (I'm looking at it now, and just counted them for the first time.) I pored over this sleeve for hours. I had never heard of any of these people, but somehow I knew that I needed to hear James Moody and The Jazztet and Al Grey and Yusef Lateef. And of course, I came to love the rest of Ya! Ya!, which still has an honored place on my record shelves.

Thanks, Mom.

Edited by jeffcrom