What have you learned from being on this forum?

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great question and hard to quantify. I guess I am sort of constantly learning on here.

What I really have enjoyed is just coming in here and finding things like the Lee Konitz interview that was posted earlier this week, and comments from all the folks who really have spent some time with jazz -- playing it, recording it, writing about it, or just listening to it like me (I've started keyboard lessons, but I'm waaay in the beginner category). It just expands my enjoyment of this music.

Plus, I too have noticed a tendency to buy more Mosaics...

I now know how top post pictures

Same here. :tup

I think it's also improved my spelling skills and may have helped with my grammar. Well, maybe not all that much. ;)

On the jazz side, I've learned a lot.

My ears have been opened to all kinds of wonderful music I otherwise would probably not have known about. B)

Not to bother reading every thread. ;)

Actually, the depth of knowledge around here is astounding. People here have the most interesting approaches to subjects, like 'hardbop' for example, which you thought previously had been covered comprehensively.

Bring up almost anything on this board and I'm sure there'll be an expert.

S & M?

Any takers?

I learned the he BNBB can go away and you barely feel it.

I learned that while none of my friends would give two hoots about jazz, I have a lot of cyber-friends who do. Makes one's love of this music a little less lonely.

I learned that there's a lot more to learn about about something I already thought I'd learned about.

And I wholeheartedly agree that in spite of the differences we may all have from time to time, that jazz fans are a pretty decent group of folks.

Up over and out.

I've learned that people can be extremely knowledgeable about more than one topic. I expected to find a lot of information about jazz here but the discussions of films, books and even (sometimes) politics are of a very high standard. Maybe jazz fans tend to be erudite folk.

I learned about Mosaics, a lot about jazz(and I've been listening for 30+ years!), about books, politics, where to get great discs at a great price(We have a great collection of bargain hunters here, and God bless 'em all!), about other kinds of music, about weird stuff on the web, and I could go on and on. The most important thing I've learned here is what a fine & generous group of people post here. Thanks to everyone- you folks are a great bunch! :tup:tup:tup