What have you learned from being on this forum?

Hardbopjazz

I echo Chris A's comments.

I've learned a lot though it's difficult to list it all.

This forum has also enabled me to meet a lot of friends. I now personally know the Organissimo bandmembers, Greg K., Abution, Jim Dye, and I hope to meet others eventually.

I'm sure that I'll eventually get together with Ghost of Miles and Jacknife one of these days.

Thanks! :D

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This forum has also enabled me to meet a lot of friends. I now personally know the Organissimo bandmembers, Greg K., Abution, Jim Dye, and I hope to meet others eventually.

This tops my list of cool things about the forum, too. :tup

I've learned that a jazz discussion board has no place for political discussion-witness the disrespectful crap being spouted by johnny e about Reagan today.

Since when does someone's death put a cap on telling the truth about them? I have a feeling that the reason why you are so opposed to political threads is that they generally go against your own viewpoints.

I've learned that a jazz discussion board has no place for political discussion-witness the disrespectful crap being spouted by johnny e about Reagan today.

...and yet you continue to bring up politics in other forums, in violation of our "unwritten agreement" here. Typical. :rolleyes:

Since when does someone's death put a cap on telling the truth about them? I have a feeling that the reason why you are so opposed to political threads is that they generally go against your own viewpoints.

how does saying "good riddance" tell a truth about someone? Show some respect is all I'm getting at. Chris, you are not always right.

Edited by GregK

...and yet you continue to bring up politics in other forums, in violation of our "unwritten agreement" here. Typical. :rolleyes:

no. The question was "what have you learned?". and that's one of the things I've learned. Deal with it. :wacko::wacko:

That there is a place here for the not so expert and they can even join in, and perhaps initiate, discussions without too much danger if they are prepared to weather the occasional harsh comment. :):):)

Edited by tooter

how does saying "good riddance" tell a truth about someone? Show some respect is all I'm getting at. Chris, you are not always right.

I was referring to another Johnny E post, which brought up legitimate negatives re Reagan. "Good riddance" would not be something you would hear from me. The man is gone--and has been for a few years, actually--so his dying changes not a thing, which makes it neither good nor bad. "Good riddance" might have been appropriate when he left the office of the presidency.

IMO, that sentiment would be highly appropriate at any time when it comes to Bush, who was never elected to the office he so resolutely is tearing to shreds.

Why, exactly, is a jazz board not the place for political discussion? Are jazz people less able or less elgible to discuss politics than others? Or do you think that political discussions should be confined to boards dedicated to politics?

And would the same disrespectful comments on a political discussion board irritate you less, somehow?

The political discussion here is mostly limited to the politics forum, if you like that kind of segregation. Me? I grow increasingly concerned at the kind of compartmentalization you apparently value. We need to listen to one another, y'know?

From this and other boards or discussion groups I've learned thousands of "jazz fans" are limited by narrow style restrictions and by what has been issued on cd.

This is a huge "bummer" for me. I have based my life on the "exploratory nature" of the human animal. This may have been a big mistake.

I don't understand people discussing the details of Lee Morgan records without knowing their Keppard, Armstrong, Smith(s), Eldridge, Gillespie, Cherry, Bowie, etc- let alone other musics.

If you profess to "like music", why only a "snapshot of history". This is like my dad only interested in the Swing of the late '30s and '40s. This kind of interest is not about music, but about some sort of personal "reaffirmation" like reliving your youth.

Maybe in the next life.

From this and other boards or discussion groups I've learned thousands of "jazz fans" are limited by narrow style restrictions and by what has been issued on cd.

This is a huge "bummer" for me. I have based my life on the "exploratory nature" of the human animal. This may have been a big mistake.

I don't understand people discussing the details of Lee Morgan records without knowing their Keppard, Armstrong, Smith(s), Eldridge, Gillespie, Cherry, Bowie, etc- let alone other musics.

If you profess to "like music", why only a "snapshot of history". This is like my dad only interested in the Swing of the late '30s and '40s. This kind of interest is not about music, but about some sort of personal "reaffirmation" like reliving your youth. 

Maybe in the next life.

You bring up some good points here, Chuck.

I do consider my tastes in jazz to be somewhat restricted to time periods and certain styles. In my case: Guilty as charged! :D

I only say in defence that Jazz music is not the only artform that I like. I love to read books and I spend a lot of time with my chess studies. In addition, I like to play bridge and I like to spend time with people.

Music is not my life, nor will it ever be. It's just part of the mosaic of art that I like. I cannot nor will I ever devote my entire life to it. There are just too many other interests vieing for my free time when I come home from work.

In fact, I daresay that my love of jazz music actually ranks below my love for reading books and studying chess.

That's just the way it goes...

:rsmile:

Edited by connoisseur series500

Maybe in the next life.

You know, Chuck, its this kind of attack that is a "huge bummer" for me.

What you are basically saying is, I'm bummed out because there are people who don't share my own enthusiasms.

Instead of complaining about that, why can't you learn to accept that different people have different likes and dislikes? That people can come to their own personal conclusions about the music they find appealing and the music they don't find appealing?

Maybe in the next life.

Excellent points also, Dan. :tup

I don't read literature as much as I used to, but I guess I could "complain" that people are willing to read Shakespeare and Ernest Hemingway and William Faulkner, while showing no interest in William Carlos Williams or Robert Lowell or John Donne.

Certain artists appeal to me more than others; and I'm sure that many of us feel the same way with regards to their own tastes in art.

At the same time, I think I understand that Chuck may lament that most jazz fans lack the exploratory spirit to investigate some of the "lesser" people that he may or may not promote. I do understand that.

That's just the way it goes. We don't have the time in this modern day and age to take a scholarly approach to everything. There's just too much going on.

Edited by connoisseur series500

What you are basically saying is, I'm bummed out because there are people who don't share my own enthusiasms.

Instead of complaining about that, why can't you learn to accept that different people have different likes and dislikes? That people can come to their own personal conclusions about the music they find appealing and the music they don't find appealing?

Maybe in the next life.

Dan, I share your enthusiasms. I'm just bummed my discussions with you are restrained by your small area of concern.

It is a big world out there.

Instead of complaining about that, why can't you learn to accept that different people have different likes and dislikes?  That people can come to their own personal conclusions about the music they find appealing and the music they don't find appealing?

Maybe in the next life.

Dan, I share your enthusiasms. I'm just bummed my discussions with you are restrained by your small area of concern.

It is a big world out there.

I'm going to ignore your second comment because obviously you're getting cranky and its time for a nap.

Exactly how "small" are my areas of concern?

My collection spans across the history of jazz. It includes big bands, vocalists, small group swing, bop, hard bop, soul jazz, even a few Andrew Hill sides.

There are people here who don't care for big bands and can't stand singers. I saw a comment by someone who said that they can stand Joe Williams with Count Basie only in small doses.

Do you give them shit??????

Oh, to meet your standards I have to embrace what you like also?

My response to that is,

I think you are one stupid fuck and you delight in demonstrating it at every opportunity.

I fully understand where Chuck is coming from. I, too, have been surprised to find how many jazz enthusiasts limit their listening to a very narrow time slice. When I became interested in jazz, in the mid to late 1940s, swing was still predominant and bop was coming in (this was post-war Europe, so we were catching up), but it seemed natural to take it all in. When the music took new turns, it seemed just as natural to explore those paths. And, BTW, I never understood why so many jazz listeners ignore the blues of people like Bessie Smith, Robert Johnson, Champion Jack Dupree, et al. It all belongs together, IMO, and I can still enjoy most of it with undiminished awe.

I've only been a fan about 5 years so I have learned a great deal from this board, from the likes of Larry Kart, Lon, Jim S and other too numerous too mention. It blows my mind how much there is too learn and how little time I have to learn it in. I suppose that's what retirement is for.

I see both Chuck and Dan's posts. I may be a little narrow in my tastes at times but I am always trying to broaden my horizons. My listening tastes have changed greatly in the last couple of years and there's always room for improvement.