What have you learned from being on this forum?

Hardbopjazz

I'm not sure why we need to have this debate: Chuck v. Dan or vice versa. There are merits to both schools of thought. But people who like to listen to without venturing into other areas (i.e. avant garde) shouldn't be made to feel guilty either. We ought to be thankful that they're interested in jazz at all and buying records.

I also believe that this advice from Chris is useful: "I think that even the most broadminded of us have a narrow time slice or two that we favor--my point is that we can enjoy those slices even more if we see the whole pie." I probably fall more into favoring that narrow slice but like to try to see more of the whole pie (avant garde for intance) even though I may not find the other pieces of the pie tasty.

Live and let live.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have broadened my interest in jazz since I joined this Forum. I had followed the adventures in the free jazz movement since its early days but had been bypassed by some of its later diversity and had returned (confined?) to the safety of well treaded pathes. The enthusiasm of the younger generation of posters (and some older ones!) has reawakened my own enthusiasm in the current developments.

One of my deepest regret is that there was no equivalent to an internet jazz forum when I was a young man trying to learn more about jazz!

Edited by brownie

I agree with Chuck... as filtered through Dan:  those not listening to all of jazz are scum.

Does that include "smooth jazz"? (I'd rather listen to polka music.) And Wynton Marsalis? (I've always sort of liked him.)

<_<

Originally meant no disrespect to any. Go back and read my first post to this thread - I asked some questions and mentioned some "failings to understand".

Dan took these as an attack and I reacted harshly to that, based on previous experience.

Dan had "interpreted" my stuff and added lots on "new meaning" to my message.

I admit I'm still mystified!

For those of you sending messages about "my leaving the group" - I was trying to say "so long" to Dan, not the group but it is difficult resisting a "slam dunk"!

One of my deepest regret is that there was no equivalent to an internet jazz forum when I was a young man trying to learn more about jazz!

But I think the enormous effort we had to undertake to get snippets of information, which often were as puzzling as they added to our knowledge, and the gratefulness for what we got, along with the urge to find more, that cannot be replaced by anything - I don't regret this. It made me think on my own and listen to my inner voices as a guide through the music.

It takes away some of the mystery to have a board like this, although the real secret behind learning to love jazz or any other music cannot be learned, that comes from within.

Originally meant no disrespect to any. Go back and read my first post to this thread - I asked some questions and mentioned some "failings to understand".

Dan took these as an attack and I reacted harshly to that, based on previous experience.

For those of you sending messages about "my leaving the group" - I was trying to say "so long" to Dan, not the group but it is difficult resisting a "slam dunk"!

This is such a load of crap, Nessa.

From this and other boards or discussion groups I've learned thousands of "jazz fans" are limited by narrow style restrictions and by what has been issued on cd.

Why put "jazz fans" in quotes if you aren't challenging the self-identification of these so-called "fans"?

If you meant no offense, why do you challenge the bona fides of these JAZZ FANS? Why does their very existence on the these boards give you such a "huge bummer"??

They don't measure up to YOUR STANDARDS of what constitutes a "jazz fan" and so to you, they aren't really jazz fans at all.

Well fuck you very much.

I'm self-limited to the jazz that has been issued on CD. I'm even more self-limited to jazz that has been remastered AND issued on CD. There is too much jazz to purchase, too much jazz that I would like. I can't buy ALL of it so I've limited myself to buying only those titles which have been remastered and issued on CD.

wesbed, i´m just like you ;)

Marcus

This is such a load of crap, Nessa.

From this and other boards or discussion groups I've learned thousands of "jazz fans" are limited by narrow style restrictions and by what has been issued on cd.

Why put "jazz fans" in quotes if you aren't challenging the self-identification of these so-called "fans"?

If you meant no offense, why do you challenge the bona fides of these JAZZ FANS? Why does their very existence on the these boards give you such a "huge bummer"??

They don't measure up to YOUR STANDARDS of what constitutes a "jazz fan" and so to you, they aren't really jazz fans at all.

Well fuck you very much.

Yes Dan. How could I have been so wrong?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: etc.

Be courteous, kind and forgiving

Be gentle and peaceful each day

Be warm and human and grateful

And have a good thing to say

Be thoughtful and trustful and childlike

Be witty and happy and wise

Be honest and love all your neighbors

Be obsequious, purple and clairvoyant

Sorry.. couldn't resist :(

Criticize things you don't know about

Be oblong and have your knees removed

:lol:

Criticize things you don't know about

Be oblong and have your knees removed

:lol:

Touche

This is a huge "bummer" for me. I have based my life on the "exploratory nature" of the human animal. This may have been a big mistake.

I don't understand people discussing the details of Lee Morgan records without knowing their Keppard, Armstrong, Smith(s), Eldridge, Gillespie, Cherry, Bowie, etc- let alone other musics.

If you profess to "like music", why only a "snapshot of history". This is like my dad only interested in the Swing of the late '30s and '40s. This kind of interest is not about music, but about some sort of personal "reaffirmation" like reliving your youth.

Maybe in the next life.

I know I'm late to this section of the discussion, but if I read this right, Chuck is lamenting the tendency of many folks to find a style they like and then seek out more of the same ad infinitum et nauseam. Someone likes some Blue Note stuff, then spends much time and money collecting sessions and dates. In a way, this is somewhat similar to junkies- they get that first blast of heroin, then they spend the rest of their lives chasing that overwhelming feeling of the first blast. It never is as good as the first time, and economics' law of diminishing marginal utility rears its ugly head and each disc of the same stuff is not quite as satisfying as the first.

It becomes more about collecting at that point, the 'I like this, so let me get as much of that same stuff(with minor variations) as I can'. The thrill of discovery is gone, the seeking out of something new and different is absent, and it has become, in a word, stale. We are all guilty of this to some degree, myself no exception. This is not to say that we must listen to avant-garde, or we must listen to some other style, but that we owe it to ourselves to try to challenge our ears on a regular basis. I know for my part, I've bought some discs because of recommendations from board members, and some of those discs forced me to stretch my concept of music and to hear things in a different way. This in turn gave me a greater depth of appreciation for the music I'd already heard, the familiar, albeit now with a bit of a twist on it. It's mind-expanding without the negative effects of LSD or the like.

So I invite everyone, myself included, to step out of the box you're in, to try a genre or style that maybe you've never tried before or haven't in a long time. After all, what do you have to lose? Some inhibitions, some prejudices, some bias? There's a whole world out there, let's try it on for size. That's my $0.02