Meade Lux Lewis

Oh my.

I've just heard 'The First Day' album for the first time, and this is breathtaking. Meade Lux Lewis playing the blues is absolutely priceless. This is how I felt hearing 'The Sermon' the first time, except magnified by 100.

Is there any other Meade Lux stuff readily available that I should think about getting? Or indeed anything similar to this?

Thanks!

I really would if you're wavering. The one caveat would be the sound quality - it sounds like it's transferred from some not always clean vinyl; there are a few pops on it. But I'm not fussy at all about sound quality, and where the reward is music like this, then..!

BTW, the Lewis and Ammons duets are fun! Put me in a good mood, a bit like Fats Waller.

'The First Day' is a verrrrry good disc, some stunning piano by Lewis, and the duets are a beautiful grace note to a great date. I also have a disc on Classics records that was made in France, with two cuts from 1941, the rest from 1944. it's part of a series called the 'Chronological Classics'.I recommend it highly. I have another one in the series by James P. Johnson that is also excellent.

Lewis is on the Edmond Hall Celestial Quartet stuff (4 tunes + 1 alt, I believe) on BN, playing Celeste (he had a foundness for pre-piano keyboards). Not t0o mention, it's Charlie Christian's only acoustic guitar wession. All the MLL I've heard is good, but he did have a habit of rerecording set pieces like Honky Tonk Train...

Besides more Lewis and Ammons, you might want to check out Pete Johnson, on BN and elsewhere.

Edited by danasgoodstuff

The one caveat would be the sound quality - it sounds like it's transferred from some not always clean vinyl; there are a few pops on it.

Not dubbed from vinyl, but the original "acetate" discs from the session. BN and Mosaic went to considerable trouble and expense to source the original masters. It ain't gonna sound better.

Don't ignore the Ammons titles AND I suggest, after digesting this disc, get the 3 Lewis discs and the 3 Ammons discs on Classics. This will fill out the picture.

Some of the great music of the 20th century and the music causing Alfred Lion to create Blue Note.

Not dubbed from vinyl, but the original "acetate" discs from the session. BN and Mosaic went to considerable trouble and expense to source the original masters. It ain't gonna sound better.

Thanks, Chuck Nessa. I found a single copy of 'The First Day' at my local Border's store. I continue to not purchase the disk because I don't know what to expect from the sound quality. I'm always thinking to myself, "Is it a copy of the Mosaic? Is it a new remaster by Blue Note?"

Either way, with your comment in mind, I may have to purchase this disk (if Border's still has it in stock) tonight or tomorrow night.

Edited by wesbed

"Is it a copy of the Mosaic? Is it a new remaster by Blue Note?"

Either way, with your comment in mind, I may have to purchase this disk (if Border's still has it in stock) tonight or tomorrow night.

I don't know if the BN mastering is different from the Mosaic. Just get the damn disc. I've had both and never had any complaints. I was thankful.

• 2 weeks later...

I can thoroghly recommend this release as the other poster was right..........it will not get better as they got what are supposed to be the best sources. I had this set ( still have actually) and searched high and low for the mosaic set at a reasonable price. Thanks to a very kind fellow board member I can now listen to them which has been great :tup

I love Honly Tonk Train Blues (even got it as a ringtone :lol::w ) and even the Harpsichord sides which when I first heard them years ago now, they captivated me completely for their unique sound.

I find it hard to chose between the two of them for talent and enjoy both Ammons and Lewis equally. There is just more of Blue Note's Lewis work that it is all.

There are quite a few copies of the first day around but if people are struggling......give me a buzz

While I have not yet deeply gotten into music of this vintage (I have some Mercury Ammons, and the Hall disc mentioned above)

My problem, recently, is that I'm liking ALL KINDS of jazz... from boogie woogie, to New Orleans, to pre-bop, bebop, bip bop, hardbop, post bop, avant garde, and early fusion... on rare occasions, even som hip hop. :excited:

No one can save me know.

Hey, just thinking of it, I need to buy some more Mosaics before I get behind.

Edited by wesbed

While I have not yet deeply gotten into music of this vintage (I have some Mercury Ammons, and the Hall disc mentioned above)

My problem, recently, is that I'm liking ALL KINDS of jazz... from boogie woogie, to New Orleans, to pre-bop, bebop, bip bop, hardbop, post bop, avant garde, and early fusion... on rare occasions, even som hip hop. :excited:

No one can save me know.

Hey, just thinking of it, I need to buy some more Mosaics before I get behind.

Seems like we really opened up to some pre bop and NO styles about the same time... I know the problem of wanting to get into all styles, and all at the same time, too... I'm still, as I said, scratching the surface, but I definitively have been fixed!

ubu

• 7 months later...

This is excellent music in great sound. Much better than the Classics CDs versions of the same material which is dubbed from old 78s. My favorite is Ammons - very inventive and more of a light touch than Lewis. If you are interested in how Blue Note became a label take a listen to this music. The early BN 78s were all excellent - Lion gave these guys freedom and time. He put out mostly 12 inch 78s which could hold more than 4 minutes of music. Quite a revelation in 1939 when most records were tightly arranged 2-3 minutes and basically only Commodore was using this size for jazz releases (also the occassional big label side like Berigan's I Can't Get Started on Victor which was a large 78). Lion also recorded Pete Johnson soon after these recordings - these are also great piano sides and you should seek them out. They are on the French Classics CDs of Johnson and the old Pete Johnson Mosaic.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 years later...

I'm listening to THE FIRST DAY as I type these words at 4:30 in the morning.

Perfect. B-)

Only 10:30 p.m., but The First Day plays. Gorgeous start to a label.

I also constructed the playlist from a Japanese issue (which I don't have, but would love to have) just to hear the ordering of tracks. It really works.

post-282-0-28737600-1312435652_thumb.jpg

If anyone wants to part with TOCJ 660006 or TOCJ 660012, or knows where a copy can be obtained (outside of the $90 items currently on eBay), let me know!

Well a bit cheaper is from Amazon Japan I guess which show people selling them from the new/used section here for about 3500 yen Is that about $45-50

and if they have them I am more than sure that others will do that export...better than ebay prices at least

My link

I am also sure that people on this forum would be able to score cheaper copies direct from japanese sellers like this one which is even cheaper

https://www.shop.kotenha.com/ec-classic/pc/package_details/index.php?package_id=3198102654&PHPSESSID=

Edited by andybleaden

Well a bit cheaper is from Amazon Japan I guess which show people selling them from the new/used section here for about 3500 yen Is that about $45-50

and if they have them I am more than sure that others will do that export...better than ebay prices at least

My link

I am also sure that people on this forum would be able to score cheaper copies direct from japanese sellers like this one which is even cheaper

https://www.shop.kotenha.com/ec-classic/pc/package_details/index.php?package_id=3198102654&PHPSESSID=

Thanks for the tips, Andy. Do you have this title (out of curiosity)? I love the sound of the "Jazz Classics on Blue Note" TOCJ series. I wonder if the U.S. counterparts use different mastering. (I'm guessing yes, but don't know.)