Pee Wee Marquette

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Googling the Grail-

Dick Cary:

Stories about Pee Wee Marquette were among those Cary loved to tell and to hear. For a time during the 1940s and '50s, Marquette was the doorman/bouncer/master-of-ceremonies at the famous jazz club Birdland in New York City. Members of Dick Cary's band who remember Marquette say he was a man of diminutive stature and pompous demeanor.

Pee Wee was apparently disliked by some musicians. Several tell that Pee Wee's stage announcements of musicians' names were proportional in effusiveness to the size of the tip Pee Wee received from the musician. For example, a generous tipper might be gushingly introduced by name as "an internationally renowned master of musical excellence and genuine genius of jazz artistry" while a scant tipper might go unnamed as merely "the bass player." This piece is, in part, Dick Cary's musical description of Pee Wee Marquette's self-important strutting at the historic club.

Bill Crow "Scenes from a Jazz Life"

Marquette...smoked huge cigars

Marquette was generally believed--by me and others--to be a male, but I have heard many people who worked with him/her say that this was a woman posing as a man. Not having seen Marquette sans clothes (tux or ridiculous Hawaii Kai costume), I cannot say for sure, but while it may be nothing more than a rumor, it surely is within the realm of possibilities.

Hmmmmm

Reading this post of yours makes me wonder about the "He?" in your second post in this thread. It's illogical.

platter4.gif:lol:

• 7 months later...
Guest youmustbe

I have other photos of Pee Wee.

Pee Wee used to hang around a lesbian bar in Harlem. Also used to go to Small's Paradise's after hours sub basement, dressed as a nurse. So, who knows what he was.

BTW, in the basement of Small's, when Wilt Chamberlain owned it, he set up weights for him to work out. . Some of the NY Giants football players used to hang in Small's. One night, Tucker Fredirckson, remember him, was having trouble pushing up a weight, Wilt was walking by, and with one hand lifted the weight and set it down on the floor! Wilt was incredibly strong. Had to play under restraint, otherwise he could have seriously hurt, even Willis Reed. (I still say, I was there for all the games, he 'threw' the 7th game, because he felt sorry for Willis!)

But back to Pee Wee. Without him Birdland would not have been the same. It was all part of showbiz. Just think, Coltrane playing My Favorite Things was part of popular culture back in 1962!! The 'players' of that day, who today would be going to Jay Zee's club, went to Birdland to hear Basie!

A different time, wonderful, but half the country was still oficially segregated, Eastern Europe was Commie, fallout shelters for the expected nuclear attack were all over NYC, so you take the good with the bad. There is no Golden Age in life!!!

• 1 year later...