Pee Wee Marquette

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A large (2-page), striking pic of Pee Wee the Midget standing between Count Basie and Jimmy Rushing (or rather being lifted up by them) is in "The Rolling Stone Illustrated History of Rock'n'Roll" (Jim Miller, ed., Rolling Stone Presse, Random House, 1976). He sure looks tiny next to Jimmy Rushing (but who wouldn't?). Hard to say if "he" was a "she", though.

A large (2-page), striking pic of Pee Wee the Midget standing between Count Basie and Jimmy Rushing (or rather being lifted up by them) is in "The Rolling Stone Illustrated History of Rock'n'Roll" (Jim Miller, ed., Rolling Stone Presse, Random House, 1976). He sure looks tiny next to Jimmy Rushing (but who wouldn't?). Hard to say if "he" was a "she", though.

please find that pic & post!!!

:excited:

Sorry, the book is right in front of me but I don't have a scanner (nor a digital camera - I still use my old Rollei) and besides, it's a huge coffee-table book and the pic is a 2-page spread (with Pee Wee fairly close to the spine, i.e. in the center of the pic).

But maybe somebody else out these has that book too. It was reprinted later in a smaller- sized edition.

BTW, if you want to see the other side of wee little Pee Wee ;), have a look at page 70 of Carole Reiff's "Nights In Birdland" (Simon & Schuster, London 1987), a book that I guess quite a few forumists own.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Sorry, the book is right in front of me but I don't have a scanner (nor a digital camera - I still use my old Rollei) and besides, it's a huge coffee-table book and the pic is a 2-page spread (with Pee Wee fairly close to the spine, i.e. in the center of the pic).

But maybe somebody else out these has that book too. It was reprinted later in a smaller- sized edition.

BTW, if you want to see the other side of wee little Pee Wee ;), have a look at page 70 of Carole Reiff's "Nights In Birdland" (Simon & Schuster, London 1987), a book that I guess quite a few forumists own.

what does it say?????????!!!!!!!

Pleeeeze, just let your imagination run free.

Carole Reiff's book is a photo book too, so what the pic "says" is what can be gathered from a rather funny view of this character taken from the REAR. ;)

Where are all those who own this book here anyway? Where is everybody? I realize lots of hardcore jazz fans would rather drop dead than buy a book where it says plainly on the cover it's all about "Rock'n'Roll" but there just GOT to be plenty of forumists who at least own Carole Reiff's book (it's a classic). ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I recall that we had a thread a while back on a now defunct jazz BBS with the subject "whatever happened to Pee Wee Marquette?" There were some knowledgeable participants, and nobody could recall an obituary or any such information.

Is Pee Wee still alive?

Since I posted this four years ago, I met somebody who knows Pee Wee Marquette. Apparently he (she) is still alive in a retirement home in Florida. Maybe a GREAT opportunity for an autobiography ghost editor still exits.

Pleeeeze, just let your imagination run free.

Carole Reiff's book is a photo book too, so what the pic "says" is what can be gathered from a rather funny view of this character taken from the REAR. ;)

Where are all those who own this book here anyway? Where is everybody? I realize lots of hardcore jazz fans would rather drop dead than buy a book where it says plainly on the cover it's all about "Rock'n'Roll" but there just GOT to be plenty of forumists who at least own Carole Reiff's book (it's a classic). ;)

well i scored a copy of the book - thanks steve!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Marquette was generally believed--by me and others--to be a male, but I have heard many people who worked with him/her say that this was a woman posing as a man. Not having seen Marquette sans clothes (tux or ridiculous Hawaii Kai costume), I cannot say for sure, but while it may be nothing more than a rumor, it surely is within the realm of possibilities.

Hmmmmm

Probably she was really Lorraine Gordon.

• 6 years later...
On 22.1.2017 at 4:28 PM, BillF said:

Wonderful stuff! :lol:

According to the book "The Hip - Hipsters, Jazz and The Beat Generation" by Roy Carr et al., the entire "half a motherfucker" story went like this (as told by Billy Eckstine): We had this little midget, Pee Wee Marquette, the emcee at Birdland, on tour with us. We were on the bus, and he kept stepping over Pres while Pres is shooting dice. "Lemme get out, Pres!" So finally Pres says, "Will you SIT DOWN, you half a motherfucker!"

:g

Maybe someone recalls this: Sometime in the late 80s/early 90s you often heard some then-current black pop/funk/semi-jazz tune on the radio that had an (uncredited) announcement (apparently coming from a 50s recording) by the midget at the start of the tune: "And now we are proud to present a Blue Note recording star at Birdland tonight" (or something like this - might actually have been an excerpt from that announcement on the Art Blakey LP). I wonder how many of the average pop radio listeners who heard/bought this tune knew who that high-voiced character at the start of the tune really was ...

Edited by Big Beat Steve

3 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

According to the book "The Hip - Hipsters, Jazz and The Beat Generation" by Roy Carr et al., the entire "half a motherfucker" story went like this (as told by Billy Eckstine): We had this little midget, Pee Wee Marquette, the emcee at Birdland, on tour with us. We were on the bus, and he kept stepping over Pres while Pres is shooting dice. "Lemme get out, Pres!" So finally Pres says, "Will you SIT DOWN, you half a motherfucker!"

:g

Maybe someone recalls this: Sometime in the late 80s/early 90s you often heard some then-current black pop/funk/semi-jazz tune on the radio that had an (uncredited) announcement (apparently coming from a 50s recording) by the midget at the start of the tune: "And now we are proud to present a Blue Note recording star at Birdland tonight" (or something like this). I wonder how many of the average pop radio listeners who heard/bought this tune knew who that high-voiced character at the start of the tune really was ...

Horace Silver (who as a young man played with Pres) says in his autobiography Let's Get to the Nitty Gritty that Lester shouted, "Get away from me, you half a motherfucker!" when Pee Wee came cadging for tips. Of course, this doesn't contradict Eckstine's account; Pres possibly called PWM this on numerous occasions. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/22/2017 at 10:53 AM, Big Beat Steve said:

Maybe someone recalls this: Sometime in the late 80s/early 90s you often heard some then-current black pop/funk/semi-jazz tune on the radio that had an (uncredited) announcement (apparently coming from a 50s recording) by the midget at the start of the tune: "And now we are proud to present a Blue Note recording star at Birdland tonight" (or something like this - might actually have been an excerpt from that announcement on the Art Blakey LP). I wonder how many of the average pop radio listeners who heard/bought this tune knew who that high-voiced character at the start of the tune really was ...

That was Us3, on a track Cantaloop. BTW, this was a Blue Note release. I bought it when it first came out, might still have it around.

Edited by Dmitry