underrated trumpet players from the 60's, 70's...

Rooster_Ties

How about Paul Seranno? (Or maybe "Serrano?") He had a good album on Riverside (one of those "Cannonball Addeley Presents" projects) called "Blues Holiday," with a strong group of fellow Chicagoans. Always thought it was a natural for one of those "limited edition" OJC's. (Shades of Don Sleet!)

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couln't possibly add another name to this list. Everyone has done such a fine job in brining up great , underated players, but I have these comments:

John Marshall - Played with both Buddy Rich and Mel Lewis. The last I heard he was living in Germany.

Lew Soloff - Can really play it all. I would refer you to a recording called "Yesterdays" that he made under his name with Elvin Jones.

Richard Williams and Cecil Bridgewater - I always thoiufgt that they were some kind os soul Mates; cut from the same cloth and very interesting.

Charles Sullivan - I have a recording, on vinyl/Strata East called "Genesis ", that is fantastic and saw him with both Fortune and on a Jazzmoblie gig with Billy Taylor, Victor Gaskin, Frank Wess and Freddie Waits. I really believe he should be the ultimate candidate here!

Charles Sullivan - I have a recording, on vinyl/Strata East called "Genesis", that is fantastic and saw him with both Fortune and on a Jazzmoblie gig with Billy Taylor, Victor Gaskin, Frank Wess and Freddie Waits. I really believe he should be the ultimate candidate here!

Wow, that's one I'd never heard of. Looks great on paper. Damn, it's never been on CD. Can anybody hook me up with a burn??? (Or maybe my local buddy, Spontoonious, has one he can burn me.)

Lew Soloff - "Yesterdays"

LEW SOLOF: YESTERDAYS

PADDLE WHEEL, K32Y 6121(CD)

(P)©1986 KING RECORD CO. LTD. INC., JAPAN

RECORDED: SEPTEMBER 15&16, 1986

RELEASED: DECEMBER 21, 1986, JAPAN

Lew Soloff : trumpet

Mike Stern : guitar

Charnett Moffett : bass

Elvin Jones : drums

TRACKS (total time 51:28) :

1. Yesterdays (9:46) [J.Kern, O.Harbach]

2. Barbara (8:55) [H.Silver]

3. Beautiful Mimi (3:37) [L.Soloff]

4. All Blues (8:59) [M.Davis]

5. Thaddieus (6:28) [L.soloff]

6. Little Laura (6:00) [L.Soloff]

7. Antigua (7:21) [R.Prince]

How about Paul Seranno?  (Or maybe "Serrano?")  He had a good album on Riverside (one of those "Cannonball Addeley Presents" projects) called "Blues Holiday," with a strong group of fellow Chicagoans.  Always thought it was a natural for one of those "limited edition" OJC's.  (Shades of Don Sleet!)

Paul Serrano played on Eddie Johnson's Nessa album, Indian Summer. He also owned a recording studio. Perhaps Chuck can tell us more.

• 9 months later...
  • 13 years later...

Just about every trumpet player from that time period, and some  on the scene before or after, has been mentioned. I agree with roughly 75%

of those mentioned.

One not mentioned that I will include is Lonnie Hillyer . He played and recorded with  Yuseef Lateef,  Mingus,  Charles McPherson, and Barry Harris. Unfortunately he died very young.