(NEW) UNRELEASED IRENE KRAL

jazzman4133

Editorial Reviews

Album Description

Recorded live in 1975 and unreleased until now, this moving session by jazz singer Irene Kral offers up some of her most heartfelt renditions of many tunes associated with Irene over the years, plus a few surprises not recorded before. This wonderful live recording was performed at The Catamaran Hotel in San Diego, California and features Irene Kral with Mike Wofford on piano, Bob Magnusson on bass, and Tony Morillo on drums. "Yet she remained an insider’s favorite. Singing in a clear, diamond-hard voice, she offered a dose of the truth: love stories with no lacey trimmings, torch songs without self-pity, impeccably sculpted into neat vocal packages. Stereo Review critic Peter Reilly would call her singing "as classically pure and humanly radiant as a Renoir painting ... as fine and lasting as an Hermès wallet or a Rolls-Royce car." "But in 1975, when she made the splendid live recording you now hold, Kral was a Van Nuys housewife in the midst of a grueling battle with cancer." "But when Kral died at forty-six on August 15, 1978, no one could say she hadn’t fulfilled her musical promise. This CD, culled from four performances at the Catamaran, a San Diego jazz spot, is Irene Kral at her peak." -James Gavin, New York City, 2003 [James Gavin is the author of Deep in a Dream: The Long Night of Chet Baker, published in 2002 by Knopf.]

Edited by jazzman4133

Yes, it is more than pretty cool! I've listened to this disc multiple times. The trio is killin' and Irene swings on the uptempo cuts and can bring you to tears on the ballad cuts. This is one of those recordings where you can feel the vocalist smiling as she sings - meaning Kral seems to be having a ball!

I've had occasion to exchange emails with the person behind JazzedMedia (CDs by Kral, Phil Woods/Carl Saunders & Carl Saunders/Phil Urso) and he is a genuinely passisionate jazz fan and is carefully picking/choosing what to put out on his label. I love supporting the smaller jazz labels putting out the highest quality of jazz releases.

Marla

Edited by makpjazz57

• 1 year later...

This sounds pretty cool ... I've got one of her discs (Better than Anything, w/Junior Mance, Bob Cranshaw and Mickey Roker) and it's very nice ... her voice is very "ear-catching."

That one's my favorite by her (which goes against conventional critical wisdom), but is from like 1961-2, and is quite a bit different than her mid-70's recordings. I also prefer mid-60's Marianne Faithfull to her 70's-80's recordings, and find Sarah Vaughan's late 40's singing irresistable where I can take or leave most of her 70's-80's recordings (the two small group sessions on Pablo being exceptions). to make two analogies which are probably more widely understood. Youthful purity of voice vs. hard-earned maturity.