The composer & the interpretation

B. Goren.

I thought about it this morning in light of Lacy's death and I'm sure you all know this phenomenon: you listen to a jazz tune and you think to yourself: Hey, I prefer this performance or this interpretation of this tune over the original performance of the composer himself. Examples: many times I like Lacy's interpretation of Monk's compositions much more than Monk's performance. Another example: Earl Hines plays Ellington's compositions in a very interesting way. Nobody plays Ellington (IMHO) better than Earl Hines. His interpretation of the *The Shepherd* is the best I know. Any other examples to interesting interpretations ???

Edited by B. Goren.

A few versions of jazz standards come to mind:

1) "Airegin" (Rollins). While the composer is my favorite tenor of the '50s & '60s, his only recorded version was done as a sideman with Miles back in '54. As such, it sounds very tame compared to the one done by Tubby Hayes: NEW YORK SESSIONS (Columbia).

2) "Gingerbread Boy" (Jimmy Heath). Love the version done by Miles-Wayne et al on MILES SMILES (Columbia) over the composer's which was done on an old Riverside session whose album title I can't recall.

3) "Stablemates" (Benny Golson). Prefer the Jackie McLean version from SWING, SWANG, SWINGIN' (Blue Note) over any done by the composer.

4) "No Smokin'" (Horace Silver). Believe it or not, Archie Shepp did a version back in '79 on A TRAY OF SILVER (Denon) that really cooks.

5) "Blue Bossa" (Kenny Dorham). Prefer the live smoking 1971 version done by Joe Henderson with a Japanese rhythm section (Milestone) over the original which Joe did with KD on the 1963 PAGE ONE session, Joe's debut for Blue Note.

6) "Moon Ray" (Artie Shaw). While I think Shaw was the greatest clarinetist ever, his mild version featured an undistinguished vocal by Helen Forrest. I prefer listening to the Roy Haynes Quartet featuring Roland Kirk version which can be found on OUT OF THE AFTERNOON (Impulse).

Edited by MartyJazz

Another one that just came to my mind: there are countless number of versions of *In a Sentimental Mood* but the greatest of all is the smoking version of Cassandra Wilson with Steve Turre. I think Duke Ellington would have been proud of them.

6) "Moon Ray" (Artie Shaw). While I think Shaw was the greatest clarinetist ever, his mild version featured an undistinguished vocal by Helen Forrest. I prefer listening to the Roy Haynes Quartet featuring Roland Kirk version which can be found on OUT OF THE AFTERNOON (Impulse).

For a very good vocal version try Chris Connor's version on Atlantic (A Jazz Date With...).