I'm not really into country music

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Gretchen Wilson's got me stompin' my foot and yellin' hee haw with that song "Redneck Woman" that she's a-singun! :wub:

I've heard that song, Evan, and to me, its so calculated and calibrated to be a hit.

The whole concept of the song-women are the dominant country music listener, so write a song for them, cash the check. (Same thing with Shaniah Twain's "Any Man of Mine"-that song was gonna be a hit, with or without the video. The video just made it a monster hit.)

Keep the men interested by "borrowing" a professional wrestler's "Hell Yeah" catch phrase.

Yuch. :tdown

I'm not really into it either but I lived in Nashville for a year back in the 1970s and you can't help but become one, especially if you go to the Opry which I did a couple of times. I'm not really one now but that's probably because I don't listen to it that much anymore. I remember reading somewhere that Bird liked country music.

I didn't think I liked country music either, but the NPR show (I can't remember the guy's name who hosts it) got me into it -- the earlier stuff.

And full confession time: I also enjoy some George Jones on occaision, as well as some Willie Nelson. I have a cd in the car that has "A Man Can Be a Drunk Sometimes, But a Drunk Can't Be a Man." I love that tune. I also found an early LP a while back on Mercury that is Jones doing Hank Williams tunes. Awesome.

I'd include Johnny Cash, but to me he is just in a category all by himself, beyond country or anything else.

It's got every songwriting cliche known to man or woman and that often translates into a hit but considering all the flag waving and preaching going on in country music it's a breather. Second that on Shelby Lynne. :wub:

I like Shelby Lynne as a singer also, but as for the :wub: , Ms. Lynne is TINY. I saw her open for Chris Isaak; the two later performed a duet, and Chris looked like a giant standing next to her.

I have to admit I know little about country, and don't really have an interest in delving into to it very deeply.

But I have been starting to listen to a little bit of Texas/Alt/Country music, and may explore a little further. I went to a concert here in Corpus Christi two weeks ago that featured ten "Texas" bands, headlined by Robert Earl Keen. I was pleasantly suprised by his music, to be honest. Not particularly deep or anything, but there's a fun vibe there. He seemed to me to be kind of like a Texas country version of Jimmy Buffett, if Jimmy wasn't so tropical. And his fans at this show seem to be similar to Parrotheads, knew all the lyrics and sang along. I managed to finagle a backstage meet-n-greet pass from one of the local radio stations, and got to talk with him for a few minutes, mainly about Texas A&M, since we both went there.

But the main reason I went to the show was to see the Flatlanders, the "legendary" band made up of Joe Ely, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, and Butch Hancock. These guys are all from west Texas (Lubbock area), and were playing together back in the early 70's. Recorded one album that was only released on 8-track (!), and kind of went their separate ways. They got back together a couple of years ago, and have since released two more albums, both of which I like. The original 70's album has also since been re-released on CD.

I got to talk with them as well, after their show. I mentioned to Jimmie Dale Gilmore that I enjoyed his performance in The Big Lebowski, which he seemed to appreciate. He played Smokey, the pacifist hippie bowler.

All three were very friendly and seemed to enjoy chatting. I'm gonna have to check out some more of their solo work, I think.

• 1 year later...

up...

I got to see Lyle Lovett (another fellow Aggie :tup like Robert Earl Keen) and his Large Band tonight here in town tonight. They were playing at the grand opening of a grocery store, of all things (H.E.B. - a pretty large texas chain, and they just opened their biggest store ever a couple of blocks from where I live). I'm not sure if that's impressive that the chain was able to get Lovett to play, or if it's a sign of Lovett's slide into obscurity that he's doing that type of gig today.

Anyway, the show was alot of fun, and the performance was great as well. The Large Band is a 10 piece - drums, percussion, bass, piano, violin, guitar, steel guitar, violin, cello, backup singer, and Lyle. I couldn't give you a set list if I wanted to, because I didn't recognize most of the tunes. But the music was a cross between country/folk/americana, and done very well.

The highlight of the night for me was meeting and chatting with Viktor Krauss after the show. He signed my copy of "Far From Enough", which I highly recommend to anyone who likes Bill Frisell.

Didn't get to meet Lovett or his Large Hair. Maybe next time...

I just saw what was essentially a Gretchen Wilson unplugged performance on CMT. She played a real nice Django-Grappelli "esque" ballad which really showcased her voice, her band, and in particular her violin player. Check it out. I'm sure CMT is playing the heck out of this 1 hour special.

well, there's the ususal: Hank Williams, George Jones, Loretta Lynn, Roy Acuff, Merle Hagard, Johnny and Jack, Kitty Wells, Johnny Cash, Merle Travis, Lefty Frizell, Jean Shepard - and than some of the older stuff - Webb Pierce, Faron Young, tons of 1950s Honky Tonk - plus Ernest Tubb and the old guys - Fiddlin John Carson, Dave Macon, Frank Hutchison, Riley Puckett, Kelly Harrell, East Texas Serenaders - a lot of good stuff worth checking out -

Edited by AllenLowe

well, there's the ususal: Hank Williams, George Jones, Loretta Lynn, Roy Acuff, Merle Hagard, Johnny and Jack, Kitty Wells, Johnny Cash, Merle Travis, Lefty Frizell, Jean Shepard - and than some of the older stuff - Webb Pierce, Faron Young, tons of 1950s Honky Tonk - plus Ernest Tubb and the old guys - Fiddlin John Carson, Dave Macon, Frank Hutchison, Riley Puckett, Kelly Harrell, East Texas Serenaders - a lot of good stuff worth checking out -

According to Doctor Lowe's name of country music, I can say I am not definitely into it. :D

But if you consider 'Drugstore Truck Drivin' Man' a country song, well... :w

well, I tend to like the old stuff - a lot of soul, a lot of blues, very down home - really shows that country music is a black AND white thing - add Bill and Cliff Carlisle to that list, as well as Jimmie Davis, Jimmie Rogers, the Carter Family - there's really a lot to discover -

Maybe I lack the Big Country's origin, but I never really got into country music, I could like old stuff like Charlie Patton and Robert Johnson, and W. Guthrie, I even love Ford's western movies, (as well as A. Mann, Delmer Daves, Howard Haws, etc), but all that banjos and fiddles, no thanks. It's my fault, there are some music i don't like, like brasilian music. At the same time I don't have enough time to listen to all the music I like, it's not a job for me.

well, there are fiddles and there are FIDDLES - same with banjos - an example - there's a 1923 recording of Fiddlin John Carson, singing solo with self-accompanied fiddle, in which he consistenly plays an interval of the minor 9th - similar, strangely enough, to Thelonious Monk - there are solo recordings by Doc Boggs, vocal and banjo - and it is not your typical, pos-HeeHaw banjo, but rough and bluesy and quite beautiful - all that from the 1920s -

Edited by AllenLowe

well, there are fiddles and there are FIDDLES - same with banjos - an example - there's a 1923 recording of Fiddlin John Carson, singing solo with self-accompanied fiddle, in which he consistenly plays an interval of the minor 9th - similar, strangely enough, to Thelonious Monk - there are solo recordings by Doc Boggs, vocal and banjo - and it is not your typical, pos-HeeHaw banjo, but rough and bluesy and quite beautiful - all that from the 1920s -

That's what I mean when I said that for me it's not a job! I ignore what an interval of the minor 9th is. :crazy:

Seriously, I have no doubt there are interesting stuff in every music, a part Kenny G :g

Edited by porcy62