Dr. Lonnie Smith - Boogaloo to Beck

Got "Boogaloo to Beck" the other day. There's no way I can believe that this was Lonnie's idea for an album. His playing seems totally uninspired. The material isn't strong enough to do anything with. Even Lonnie, who could hang on a "I" chord all day long and have fun with it, just can't get much going on any of the cuts.

Lonnie's ALWAYS fun to listen to. He's such a master. Why can't someone just let Lonnie do his thing on an album of material of his own choosing? Unless Lonnie's just trying to connect to younger "groove" audience, I don't see any motivation for this outside of the fact that someone came up with the idea, paid him nicely to do it, and then proceeded.

Having bashed the concept, I have to admit I DO like the album...why...? BECAUSE LONNIE SMITH IS PLAYING AN ORGAN ON IT!!!!! 'nuff said. ;)

p.s...fathead's barely on this thing, and when he is, it's like he's about to take a nap with lonnie while they dream of playing a charlie parker song. B)

Ouch! A scathing review. :unsure:

George Benson has reels and reels of tape from his home studio on him and Lonnie burning on organ trio stuff over the last 15 years or so. Organ trio music IS Benson's favorite thing to do. He sits in all the time in NYC around Showman's Lounge or whenever Lonnie is gigging ect.

Maybe someday that stuff will surface, but I kind of doubt it. Believe me when Benson wants to burn it up old school he does. One of my favorite memories is of him and John Patton tearing it up together at Showman's Lounge in Harlem during a benefit for Jack McDuff a few years back. George was looking ghetto fabulous too in his full length mink coat, drinking bottles of champagne. Patton introduced me to him and he was a bad mf talkin' about all the old days with McDuff. Believe me, that's his THING, man!

Believe me when Benson wants to burn it up old school he does.  One of my favorite memories is of him and John Patton tearing it up together at Showman's Lounge in Harlem during a benefit for Jack McDuff a few years back.  George was looking ghetto fabulous too in his full length mink coat, drinking bottles of champagne.  Patton introduced me to him and he was a bad mf talkin' about all the old days with McDuff.  Believe me, that's his THING, man!

Wow. Nobody does it better. Not Martino, nor Scofield, nor Metheny. If they don't release that stuff, a raid might be neccesary. :ph34r:

George Benson has reels and reels of tape from his home studio on him and Lonnie burning on organ trio stuff over the last 15 years or so.  Organ trio music IS Benson's favorite thing to do.  He sits in all the time in NYC around Showman's Lounge or whenever Lonnie is gigging ect. 

Maybe someday that stuff will surface, but I kind of doubt it.  Believe me when Benson wants to burn it up old school he does.  One of my favorite memories is of him and John Patton tearing it up together at Showman's Lounge in Harlem during a benefit for Jack McDuff a few years back.  George was looking ghetto fabulous too in his full length mink coat, drinking bottles of champagne.  Patton introduced me to him and he was a bad mf talkin' about all the old days with McDuff.  Believe me, that's his THING, man!

I just noticed that George Benson guested on two tracks ("Mo' Candy" and "Pump It Up") on Jack McDuff's 1992 Concord release Color Me Blue.

Edited by alankin