Smaller Speakers

.:.impossible

Hello all. Does anyone have any advice on smaller speakers. What to avoid, what to look/listen for? Any particular models that you would consider a steal? I'm not audiophile level, so keep that in mind. Even recommendations from all you regular people out there would be very much appreciated!

Thankee.

Recommendations in different price ranges:

Entry-level:

- KEF Q1

- Dynaudio Audience 52

For serious audiophiles ($2000/pair):

- B&W Nautilus 805

- Dynaudio Contour 1.3, 1.3SE

Dream speakers ($4000/pair):

- Dynaudio Special 25

- B&W 805 Signature

- KEF Reference 201

All those speakers must be placed on good stands to give their full potential. They also need more powerful amps than comparable floorstanders.

• 3 weeks later...

Monitor Audio B2 reviewed in Feb/March Audiophile gets my vote. List is 399 and it has some bottom end.

I heard earlier version of this speaker and it blew me away. Coherent sound, reminded me of being in recording studio. This is the one!

Another vote for the Monitor Audios- these definitely fit the criteria, small size & reasonable $, and they sound great. I have seen them @ $100 less than retail.

:P

• 2 weeks later...

Cary,

I've read raves about these as well as the previous "2s" being outstanding.

Try calling Audio Lab in Harvard Square. Easier to find than that gigg you were looking for:

36 J.F.K. St., The Garage,Harvard Square CAMBRIDGE MA 02138 617/864-1144...right next to Newbury Comics. Give a shout if you find them there and I can give better directions. vint

Speaking of Canada, I checked out a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitors the other day here in Providence. I don't consider myself an audiophile, but I thought these sounded pretty good. The bass was not so big, but it seemed to be enough. I will probably bring a couple of discs in this weekend to check them out again.

I was browsing ubid.com today and came across a couple of speakers that I was unfamiliar with. Does anyone know anything about these:

Monitor Audio MON2.5 (150W) 14.5 x 8.25 x 8.25 Front Ported

Monitor Audio MONITOR 7 (70W) 34.3 x 16.5 x 17.5

Wharfedale Crystal 20 (100W) 312 x 217 x 236 ?

Has anyone ever bought from ubid? I have a friend who highly recommends it.

Thanks.