Booker Ervin The Space Book AOTW

ejp626

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be quite a few good records, recorded in a compressed time period.

Mal Waldron--The Quest (June 27, 1961)

Roy Haynes--Cracklin' (April 6, 1963)

Exultation (June 19, 1963)

Pony Poindexter--Gumbo (June 27, 1963)

The Freedom Book (December 3, 1963)

The Song Book (February 27, 1964)

The Blues Book (June 30, 1964)

Don Patterson--Hip Cake Walk (May 12 and July 10, 1964)

Sonny Stitt-Booker Ervin--Soul People (August 25, 1964)

Don Patterson--Patterson's People (same as Hip Cake Walk)

The Space Book (October 2, 1964)

Groovin' High (same as Freedom Book, Space Book and Blues Book)

Settin' the Pace (October 27, 1965)

The Trance (same as Settin' the Pace)

Heavy (September 9, 1966)

The British Jazz Lips label has done part of what Fantasy should or could have done: a double CD with all the tracks from the three "-book" Quartet sessions (The Song Book, The Space Book & The Freedom Book), with the only blues tune from the Blues Book as a bonus track. Sound is okay - but you know what to think ...

Disk: 1

1. A lunar tune

2. Cry me not

3. Grant's stand

4. A day to mourn

5. Al's in

6. Stella by starlight

7. The lamp is low

8. Come Sunday

9. All the things you are

10. Just friends

11. Yesterdays

Disk: 2

1. Our love is here to stay

2. Number two

3. I can't get started

4. Mojo

5. There is no greater love

6. The second number two

7. Bass-IX

8. No booze blooze

I have to admit I bought it, as I was always mad at Fantasy for not adding the tunes posthumously released to the CD versions of the OJC CDs ... now I finally have all of Booker's Prestige sessions on CD.

51DP77-GdvL._SS500_.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

• 2 years later...

now those above Prestige dates would be something I would buy in one great box set.

At one point in time, I had about 90% of them and today, I own none of them.

maybe the worst CD collateral damage of any artist outside of Miles and Monk I had from 2003 and 2004 when my CD collection took a large somewhat unexpected self-imposed beating/shrinkage......

I LOVE Blues Book and the live session with Dexter.

I also loved the ENJA recording with Horace Parlan - anyone remember the name of it? It had the one long groove based track.

I always found about 2 tunes on each record that i would like and they were always the fast/medium tempo with the long emotional solos and I never gave a wit that the solos were close to same as the last one!

• 2 weeks later...

Love Booker Ervin's playing. One of the first jazz records I listened to was "Structurally Sound"....awsome recording.

093444.jpg

Just curious - did you first get that on LP or CD? And when?

I only ask because that one and The In-Between are two that I've only seen on LP once in my life each (fortunately, each at a time when I had cash...). The first was in the proverbial Old Dusty Mom & Pop back in 1978 or so, that latter in a department store cutout been a few years earlier.

Those things couldn't have been pressed more than once, and even then in small quantity.

Anyway, always interested in hearing stories about stuff like that, so if you'd like to share yours, it would be appreciated. Either way, great records, both of them.

Was it new when you found it?

I've seen Booker 'n' Brass on occasion (and that should be heard on both LP & CD, as Belden de-reverbed the CD. Very nice, but very different!), but as I understand it, PJ actually had "commercial expectations" for that one. Structurally Sound on LP...glad i snagged it when I did.

Same for The In Between too, that cover deserves to be felt in LP form, even moreso than the Kenton/Barton album.

Music is music, but records is records, ya' know?

Has anyone heard the BE "Book' LP (i forgot which one) with Frank Strozier on it?

Does FS get a lot of blowing time on it?

That one is called Exultation! and Strozier solos on all 6 of the original tracks. The cd includes 2 shortened takes of tunes without his participation.

Killer session.

I picked up that record from the "new release bin" at Younkers department store in Des Moines. I bought Andrew Hill's Black Fire, Dolphy's Conversations and the latest Down Beat at the same time. Went to a friends house in DM to listen to the treasures and discovered Dolphy's death in the magazine. Lots of pos and neg that day.

Has anyone heard the BE "Book' LP (i forgot which one) with Frank Strozier on it?

Does FS get a lot of blowing time on it?

That one is called Exultation! and Strozier solos on all 6 of the original tracks. The cd includes 2 shortened takes of tunes without his participation.

Thanks, Chuck.