New Miles box: Seven Steps To Heaven

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to be a wonderful box. Some of my favorite exciting jazz drumming I've ever heard is a part of this series of concerts. . . . And some other dazzling performances I am very fond of, such as the "I Thought About You" that only surfaced on the "Columbia Years" box set previously.

Metal spine? :w

From Alan Lankin's Jazzmatazz site:

Miles Davis - Seven Steps to Berlin: Complete Miles Davis 1963-64 recordings - 6 CDs (Columbia) Sept

— Probably Seven Steps to Heaven (studio, 1963), Miles in Europe (Antibes, 1963), My Funny Valentine/Four & More (Philharmonic Hall, 1964), Miles in Tokyo (1964) and Miles in Berlin (1964) and including some unreleased material, mostly from Antibes

Jazzmatazz

This would be the last PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED AND SCHEDULED box set. . . . But if there is a dollar to be made with a Miles box set, Columbia will sniff it out and supply to the demand.

There are a few interesting studio sessions from the Agharta/Pangaea period that would be great to hear, some of which prefigure the sort of "song forms" that he began to use when he returned from his 'seventies retirement . . . .

There was another entire set recorded in Tokyo at the same time [different night] as the other Live In Tokyo set was taped. I wonder if any of that will be in there? Another 4 or five tunes with Sam Reeeevers...

Yeah, I was hoping for more of the Rivers material. Another board member sent me dubs of at least one, maybe two other nights w/Rivers that weren't part of MILES IN TOKYO. So I have it, but still hoped to see it included... I haven't heard most of the other live music here, so I'm really looking forward to this collection.

Now they can rerelease all this stuff in decent packaging that doesn't destroy the damned discs, and this time I'll buy it. Not to be "Mr. Contrarian", but I hate this series. I picked up the Bitches Brew set and regret it to this day. (Keep in mind I'm knocking the packaging, NOT the music!)

This would be the last PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED AND SCHEDULED box set. . . . But if there is a dollar to be made with a Miles box set, Columbia will sniff it out and supply to the demand.

There are a few interesting studio sessions from the Agharta/Pangaea period that would be great to hear, some of which prefigure the sort of "song forms" that he began to use when he returned from his 'seventies retirement'....

About Columbia making a buck off of Miles if the opportunity is there-no doubt about it in my mind.

I would also be interested in hearing those sessions from the "Agharta" and "Panagea" period.