Revenant is planning big Albert Ayler box

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One would hope Revenant could keep the price reasonable on this. They are not paying a lot to license anything, and isn't that among the biggest costs usually? I really loved the Jimmy Lyons music on the Ayler Records box, but it was so grossly overpriced it was ridiculous, especially given the poor sound quality on two of the discs. We were gouged in my opinion, paying well above $15 per disc. $10-12 per disc for a multi-CD set is fair when there are no large costs associated with making or licensing the music.

One would hope Revenant could keep the price reasonable on this. They are not paying a lot to license anything, and isn't that among the biggest costs usually? I really loved the Jimmy Lyons music on the Ayler Records box, but it was so grossly overpriced it was ridiculous, especially given the poor sound quality on two of the discs. We were gouged in my opinion, paying well above $15 per disc. $10-12 per disc for a multi-CD set is fair when there are no large costs associated with making or licensing the music.

By the look of the packaging it will not be only the discs we will be paying for.

I heard from a guy who talks to Dean (Revenant) all the time that this set will sell for $100 retail. The conversation I had with the person in question was about the near-paralyzing price of the Charly Patton set. It seems Revenant has made pains to make the Ayler set more affrodable.

Edited by Brandon Burke

I heard from a guy who talks to Dean (Revenant) all the time that this set will sell for $100 retail. The conversation I had with the person in question was about the near-paralyzing price of the Charly Patton set. It seems Revenant has made pains to make the Ayler set more affrodable.

If that's the price, then I'm not all that bummed about two cds worth of interviews -- not in the least. Seven cds of unreleased Ayler for $100 is a great price (of course, nine cds on unreleased Ayler would've been better ;) ).

Hello folks,

I just got my advance copy of Holy Ghost! Man Oh Man what a set! I have not even listened to the music yet. It is so overwhelming. It comes in a beautiful plastic box. 9 CDs, a hardbound book and some really nice surprises... I have never seen a box set like this. It really raises the bar. I've been told that the retail price will be around $85... Which is really unbelievable considering the heft of this thing...

The book is incredible. Ben Young did a wonderful job with the research. The chapter of testimonials from Ayler's peers and witnesses is amazing. It is a wonderful assessment of the man's work and it is likely to raise the profile of free jazz and improvised music.

The press release indicates that it will be released on October 5 and I understand there are a couple of release parties/events in the works in Austin, Marfa Texas and NYC. I'll keep you all posted.

in the meantime

you can get a look at the box here....

http://home.austin.rr.com/subculture/news.htm

thanks

pg moreno

Austin, TX

What materialized was a box of "sacred possessions": a faux onyx Eastern-themed carved box filled not only with the unreleased music of Ayler, but a treasure trove of related documents and ephemera.

I hope this box doesn't rival the Herbie Hancock box for "most difficult to use."

With all due respect to epistrophy arts, I'll believe that $85 price only when I see it.  Might be possible as maybe a pre-order price.

I hear ya... I can hardly believe it myself. Noel, the graphic designer told me that Revenant took considerable pains to keep the price very low. I asked if $85 was the wholesale price and he replied No.... retail.

With all due respect to epistrophy arts, I'll believe that $85 price only when I see it.  Might be possible as maybe a pre-order price.

I hear ya... I can hardly believe it myself. Noel, the graphic designer told me that Revenant took considerable pains to keep the price very low. I asked if $85 was the wholesale price and he replied No.... retail.

This would be great news, if it turns out to be true come October. Now, if you could just get them to drop the price of the Charley Patton set to $85, too...

This would be great news, if it turns out to be true come October. Now, if you could just get them to drop the price of the Charley Patton set to $85, too...

That's exactly what he and I we talking about on the phone the other day. My guess is: that was the impetus for the price change this time around. I'm as big a Charley Patton fan as anyone you know but that set was too rich for my blood. So I never bought it. I will, however, definately get the Ayler set. Especially after hearing the advance sampler. Wow.....!

That's exactly what he and I we talking about on the phone the other day. My guess is: that was the impetus for the price change this time around. I'm as big a Charley Patton fan as anyone you know but that set was too rich for my blood. So I never bought it. I will, however, definately get the Ayler set. Especially after hearing the advance sampler. Wow.....!

I felt the same way. I see copies of it gathering dust at the local record shop, and I think, "Man, How many discs could I buy for $174.99?" Great packaging, I'm sure, but wow is that a lot of bread.

The Ayler OTOH, at $100 is more like it.

• 2 weeks later...